Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Canik TP9SFx......

MikieM

I just bought a new TP9SFx after reading some of the reports here. They sounded good and the price seemed right from Grabagun. This one comes with a Vortex red dot already installed.

I also purchased a Freedomsmith trigger, a reduced power plunger spring, a Glock 34 tungsten guide rod, and an 11 pound recoil spring, a magwell, and a 6.5 Ghost striker spring.

I plan on using it in CO division.

Is there anything else I need?

Thanks, Mike.

Edited by MikieM

We had three shooters on my squad using the TP9SFX.  One was shooting Production and the other two CO. 

The pistols looked and shot great.  If I ever need another Production gun or CO I would certainly look at this

pistol.  Wish I would have asked one of them if I could shoot their pistol.  Maybe they will show up at our next

match.  As far as your question, I would say a big pile of ammo:).

Here are a few choices,  I've tried most of them. The SpringCo w/white spring (not using presently, works but didn't like the secondary spring function when I had to "show clear" at the end of a course of fire). Various Glock recoil set ups  captured and un captured. (min. 13# spring).  If you decide on trying the Glock set up?, do the Glock recoil spring function test.... hold the Canik vertically in the air (unloaded), pull trigger, does it ALWAYS go FULLY back into battery when you reset the slide  with normal pressure,  manually or not???... If not, the recoil spring is not strong enough...I've had a few times (using a  Glock 13# recoil spring that the slide would NOT fully return to battery, .....that was enough for me to guess in competition I might have a not  have full slide lock up / or a out of battery situation).  I decided to see what could be done with the "stock" Canik recoil spring/rod.... (This disassembly  procedure is shown on UTube or the Canik forum) or look up my Canik posts here , detailed to do's.... (compress spring, hold with vice grips, gently heat nut , remove nut, cut spring coils, put spring back on rod, compress spring, w/vice grip, a dab of blue locktite  on rod, remove vice grip.....Remember if you cut too many coils off you are SOL, go slow 3/4 coils seem to work well for me.........IF someone made a 14# recoil spring for the Glock/Canik????, I'd think that work work for us. 100%???.... Haven't found one yet...... Love those Acme 145/147 red bullets w/ either n320 or TG..... Kudos to MR. Bullet feeder, just put one on my 650, ingenious device, 

Edited by mike NM
spelling

On 8/13/2018 at 7:00 AM, OPENB said:

Mags: you'll get 23rds. using Taylor Freelance base pads and Grams follower/spring kit. Otherwise, I think you have it covered. Holsters: Mine fit in my Bladetech Glock 34 holster perfectly.

Are you referring to the CZ 13 coil spring kits???  (Megar mags)

I need some help.

Took the SFx to the range with the new Freedomsmith trigger installed. 11 pound recoil spring. And a 6.5 pound Glock sear spring. All but 5 out of a hundred rounds were misfires.

Went home. Cut one coil off the OEM sear spring and put a Glock flat coil 17 pound recoil spring in. It seems the 11 pound spring would let the slide sag when held vertically.

I cut 2 and 1/2 coils of the new recoil spring.spring.

By-the-way, the Freedomsmith trigger is awesome.

Went back to the range this morning and the gun functioned fine except for three misfires out of 100 rounds. Accuracy was excellent. Trigger pull is about 4 and a quarter pounds.

My question is: Will the misfires go away after the gun breaks in, and what can I do to knock a pound off the trigger pull? My primers are Winchesters.

MikieM,
I’ve been using the Springer Precision
Sig 320/250 guide rod for 1911 springs for awhile now with no issues. I bought it used on eBay and it came with every spring from 11 to 20 pounds. I just cut them down to 20 coils which is I think 5 inches and the same size as the commander springs. I also checked that the spring wasn’t binding up when the slide was fully racked back. I’ve been using the 14lb with Winchester white box and not one issue with any rounds.
155050e711cac64cfaa25172a629eef7.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also installed a Ghost 6.5 striker spring and their reduced power plunger spring which needed to be stretched out a little bit. They sell 3 packs cheaper than you can get one Glock striker spring. The 6.5 is between the red and blue Glock springs once broken in. I haven’t tried their 6lb yet but I have it waiting on a spare firing pin.

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Also check out the Canik forum tons of how to’s and info on different setups. I would leave it as is if the gun is new and see if the misfires work themselves out. Most guys brake in the gun then change stuff up, like you I changed a bunch right out of the box so I told myself if it didn’t run perfect during first few hundred rounds no biggie. Gotta break it in then tweak it a little if needed. I have probably 500 rounds through it now and haven’t had one misfire. love this gun, can’t beat the price to performance. Good luck

I did get the cart before the horse, but I've got over two hundred rounds through it now and it's working like a charm.

Bad ammo was partly to blame. I have a sackful of once-fired cases with very dirty primer pockets and many of them are seating to the high side so with the less powerful 6.5 striker spring I was getting lot's of FTFs. I reinstalled the OEM striker spring and no more FTF.

Been running mine since January. Glock tungsten captured guide rod with 12 lb springe, Glock reduced power plunger spring and Glock 5.5 lb striker spring. Gun runs 100% with Federal spp and 99% with S&B. My trigger pull is under. 2.5 lbs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2018 at 11:55 AM, MikieM said:

I need some help.

Took the SFx to the range with the new Freedomsmith trigger installed. 11 pound recoil spring. And a 6.5 pound Glock sear spring. All but 5 out of a hundred rounds were misfires.

Went home. Cut one coil off the OEM sear spring and put a Glock flat coil 17 pound recoil spring in. It seems the 11 pound spring would let the slide sag when held vertically.

I cut 2 and 1/2 coils of the new recoil spring.spring.

By-the-way, the Freedomsmith trigger is awesome.

Went back to the range this morning and the gun functioned fine except for three misfires out of 100 rounds. Accuracy was excellent. Trigger pull is about 4 and a quarter pounds.

My question is: Will the misfires go away after the gun breaks in, and what can I do to knock a pound off the trigger pull? My primers are Winchesters.

I have basically close to the same set up as you. Switched to fed primers and have been 100%  last 3000 rds

My set-up now is as follows: Freedomsmith trigger. 13 pound flat recoil spring (Glock 17/34) over a Glock 34 SS guide rod with a Gen 4 adapter ring. Glock 31nm striker spring. Cajun Gun Works reduced power plunger spring.

Reliability is now 100% using Winchester primers. Canik fantastic trigger, and awesome accuracy.

Edited by MikieM