Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
AquaScapes

Thumb rest slide stop Question

Thoughts on putting a Thumb rest slide stop on a Limited gun? I have one on my open gun and like it. Shooting .40 major out of a Atlas Nemesis. I see shooters connection sells one

I like mine for the consistency of grip.  The position works for my hand size.  If you don't like it, you can likely sell it for a minor loss. Aa lot easier than drilling the frame

Posted (edited)

I have a nitrofin on my limited gun and like it.  However, I had from when I built the gun.  So, I cut the barrel lugs with the nitrofin. You should mic your current slide stop to make sure it’s within normal specs.  0.200” I believe.  If yours is out of spec, the nitrofin won’t fit right or require fitting. 

Edited by msg73

I run them on both my Limited and Open guns.  Great reference point and it keeps my thumb/grip from interfering with the slide.  I do remove about half of the material (length) of the thumb pad.  If you leave it full length you may have an issue shooting it weak hand.  When full length on recoil it would engage the slide stop locking the slide to the rear.  

I've got the Nitrofin on my 2011 as well and love it.  Will have one on all my future builds.

On 8/9/2018 at 3:24 PM, SilverBolt said:

I run them on both my Limited and Open guns.  Great reference point and it keeps my thumb/grip from interfering with the slide.  I do remove about half of the material (length) of the thumb pad.  If you leave it full length you may have an issue shooting it weak hand.  When full length on recoil it would engage the slide stop locking the slide to the rear.  

I know exactly what you are talking about because I saw this same thing happen to someones else yesterday on a classifier. When you say you remove half of the material (length) were exactly are you talking? The bottom where the base of your thumb would hit or the top of it?  Thanks

On 8/9/2018 at 3:24 PM, SilverBolt said:

I must have missed your comments here on the first pass...

I have that *exact* problem with weak hand shooting with my Nitro Fin. I have learned to modify my grip to avoid this, but would love to see what you have done to modify yours.

A picture would be great!!! 

Thanks.

20170406_164607.jpg

22 hours ago, SilverBolt said:

Thanks for posting that picture, it helps a lot. So did this solve your issues shooting WHO? I am going to follow your advice and give it a go.