Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why is Trijicon RMR bad?

Silverscooby27

9 hours ago, Janskis said:

I didn't try to argue that the RMR couldn't do that. Just that when you are on the clock, bigger glass means less searching since it is easier to find the dot and thus faster shooting.

Sorry, I didn't think we were arguing.  I thought you were saying the dot didn't have to be centered and I was agreeing and relating my experiences.

Have a good one.

24 minutes ago, M1A4ME said:

Sorry, I didn't think we were arguing.  I thought you were saying the dot didn't have to be centered and I was agreeing and relating my experiences.

Have a good one.

Ah, sorry! I misunderstood entirely. Cheers, good sir!

Thanks for the replies. I’m probably going with a DPP with a 2.5 red dot. Out of curiosity, I am intrigued by the non-powered RMR, specifically with 9.0 green dot. Seems like one solution to electronics problems is to eliminate the electronics. Has anyone tried the Tritium/FO version for competition? Is it bright enough? Is the yellow version better? Does even THAT have problems of some kind?

Thanks for the replies. I’m probably going with a DPP with a 2.5 red dot. Out of curiosity, I am intrigued by the non-powered RMR, specifically with 9.0 green dot. Seems like one solution to electronics problems is to eliminate the electronics. Has anyone tried the Tritium/FO version for competition? Is it bright enough? Is the yellow version better? Does even THAT have problems of some kind?
No experience with the RMR. But I would say that issues with the DPP are pretty rare in the grand scheme of things. I wouldn't say it's something to make you go with something else. If you really want to cover your ass. Have a backup gun setup the same.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I've had two DDP failures.  Both on Open guns with frame mounts.

The first one, a 2.5 MOA, started turning itself off.  Leupold replaced it.

I traded it (BNIB) for a 7.5.  That one went into flicker mode after 3-4K rounds.

Leupold replaced the board.  I put the C-More Slide Ride back on my Open gun and learned how to tune the ejector/extractor.

The 7.5 is now on an CO G17.  We'll see how long it lasts.

(Shooting CO since I cracked a slide on my Open gun)

Just my $0.02.

I have two DI (Dual Illuminated - fiber optic for use where there is enough light, tritium for use when the FO won't collect enough light) RMR on CZ pistols.

One is green and one amber.

These are just my experiences:

Green, works fine in daylight hours as long as I'm in a place where the light is equal to or greater than where the target is located.  Nice green dot, easy to see.  But, if I'm in a low light area - like in the house or under the firing line overhead cover at a range - the green dot is just about impossible for me to see on the target.  First time this situation occurred I thought my new RMR "was broke already."  

Amber, is so bright when I'm in a well lighted area you just can't miss it (you almost wish you could turn a knob and dim it down a little - I've read some people put a little tape over the FO window to partially block the amount of light it can pick up).  In the conditions where I can't see the green dot (me in low light, target in brighter light) I can still see the amber dot just fine.

The amber dot RMR is on my EDC P07.  The green dot RMR is on my range gun P09 which doubles as a bedroom gun.

Some people report the opposite of what I experience.  The say they can see the green dot better than the amber dot.  Before you buy, check them out at the store if they'll let you.

Oh, I've also read the green dot has almost twice the tritium life of the amber dots.  No idea why.