Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry Fire

Hunter91

What’s your lowest hanging fruit atm?

My dry fire from last night:

•Surrender draw to open 10yd paper 5min w/1sec par. 

•Surrender to steel.  5min.  1.2sec par. 

•Surrender to paper - transition to steel - transition to steel - transition to open paper.  5min.  2.7sec par. 

•Above transitions with a reload and shoot array again.  5min.  5.2sec par

I noticed that my Surrender draw was a little slow in Live fire the other day, so that’s what I took to Dry fire.  

10 hours ago, CTJer said:

What’s your lowest hanging fruit atm?

•Surrender to paper - transition to steel - transition to steel - transition to open paper.  5min.  2.7sec par. 

I noticed that my Surrender draw was a little slow in Live fire the other day, so that’s what I took to Dry fire.  

Awesome, thanks for the advice! 

On 8/9/2018 at 4:29 AM, CTJer said:

I also do 5 minutes per drill. Five minutes is just enough time to stay focused before I start getting sloppy. 

I'm new to pistol shooting and have found Stoeger's dryfire book to be a gold mine. I am currently focusing most of my dryfire practice on the Elements portion of his drills.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2018 at 11:41 AM, SgtHellbilly said:

I also do 5 minutes per drill. Five minutes is just enough time to stay focused before I start getting sloppy. 

I'm new to pistol shooting and have found Stoeger's dryfire book to be a gold mine. I am currently focusing most of my dryfire practice on the Elements portion of his drills.

I agree with this as well. The micro drills ben lays out have always been helpful.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Buy either  "Repetition and Refinement" by Steve Anderson or "Dry-Fire Training:Reloaded" by Ben Stoeger.  Both are great books and having both isn't a bad idea.  The key to dry fire is to do it deliberately and systematically.  Pick skills to work on, track your performance, and pay attention to those 0.1 second differences in each drill time as you improve.  If you stick with it, you will see dramatic improvement.  

Also, IMO dry fire is most effective when you do it nearly every day.  I think you get more benefit from doing 15 minutes a day instead of doing 2 hours once a week.  

Edited by Rob D

30 minutes ago, Rob D said:

...Also, IMO dry fire is most effective when you do it nearly every day.  I think you get more benefit from doing 15 minutes a day instead of doing 2 hours once a week.  

Not to mention usually after about 30 minutes of dry fire my support hand is shot. And that is doing a drill for 5 minutes and then taking a minute break. I can't imagine doing it for a longer time period effectively.

13 minutes ago, tanks said:

Not to mention usually after about 30 minutes of dry fire my support hand is shot. And that is doing a drill for 5 minutes and then taking a minute break. I can't imagine doing it for a longer time period effectively.

I actually find long sessions to be helpful too.  When I'm REALLY trying to improve, I'll dry fire for 1-2 hours a couple nights a week and then short workouts on the other nights.  Your hands get tired, and your muscles fatigue, but that helps to build hand strength and both physical and mental endurance.  I don't know that it's always practical to train for that long, but it does yield massive gains if you can stay focused.  If I remember correctly, Hwansik Kim did something like 2 hours of dry fire a day during the two years where he went from newbie to world class.  

16 hours ago, tanks said:

Same.

I can't dry fire for hours because my support hand wouldn't make it...

• 1 month later...