Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Disappointed in Bulider

Sporky

My gun is from a big name builder.  I sent it off to have it worked on.  When I contacted him, he was thinking a couple of days.  Turns out that it has been gone for 29 days.

Just got the shipping info today after asking for it 5 times. 

I understand that things take time, and I was willing to pay extra to have overnight shipping, but there was next to no communication.  When he did communicate, it wasn't exactly "nice".

I missed a major match (that i paid for) and 3 weeks of the season. So needless to say I wasn't happy.  I was nice every time I contacted him, but only because he had my gun and I needed it back.

My question is: Do i say the name and warn others?  Or do I just sell the gun when it gets back so I don't have to deal with that again?  When you spend over $5000 on a gun I would just expect a bit more.

This really bummed me out pretty bad.  Now I think that every time I look at it when it gets back, I am just going to be angry about this whole situation.

Hmm. So what are you trying to accomplish in the end?  There are companies in this industry that I don't like due to various reasons.  If someone asks me for my opinion or my experience, then I will give it, but I'm not going to create a new thread saying to "avoid xyz because they're scumbags,"  because how will that reflect on me?  If they truly screwed you over, a la Predator Tactical, then maybe it's worth posting a stay away notice, but if you just weren't happy, and you know other people have been happy, then I think it will just come across as a "I need attention" post.

Was this the gun sent in with a "loose comp"?  The one that ended up with some dremel work on the comp that caused it to crack?  Which then needed to have a new comp fitted, machine time and then test fired for function?  Just want to make sure we are talking about the same gun.  

This is probably not the answer you are looking for, but you need to accept the fact that stuff breaks regardless of amount spent or who built it. Since stuff breaks you need to have a viable backup to keep you going while the broken gun is being dealt with. Do we want an expensive blaster built by a well known guy to work flawlessly forever? Absolutely. But that isn't reality. If you are serious about competing then you absolutely need a backup gun. A backup gun doesn't eliminate the chance of dealing with a lengthy repair or crappy circumstance while getting the other gun resolved. But it does keep you shooting when shooting needs done. 

It started as a warranty issue, "my comp is loose". Figured re-loctite and job is done. Quoted 5 days including shipping.

Upon inspection, found serious dremmel work on bottom of the comp that caused it to crack, the job changed from re-loctite to fitting a new comp, machine to match, file work, finishing work, test fire and so on.

We received the gun on July 18th, shipping back out on August 8th. I got screen caps :) I also counted 16 "is it done yet?" messages on personal FB account and a few more on company account.

If you are going to blow us out on a public forum, please have the facts straight and not omit details.

5 minutes ago, Maximis228 said:

So it takes 21 days to fit a new comp?

No pooh bear.  It takes 21 days to fit it in the schedule for fitting the comp and test fire.  I don't think Shay is sitting there waiting for the gun to come through the door.  There is more than that going on in the shop.  ;)
And of those 21 days, 6 were weekends.  So actually 15 business days.  

Edited by Shadyscott999

Ok I didnt blast but now I will. And I didnt put your name out there you did.
Your public messenger account also states that you can be contacted on that account.
7 days of no contact after you received it. Finally got a message saying "I'm trying"
5 more days pass. I asked 2 times in those 5 days for an update. Here is the response

You ask every day the gun is cut, just finishing it up. Please be patient.

Didnt ask every day. 2 times.

3 more days pass and I ask. He says done and we sort out payment.

I pay and get radio silence again. All that I ask is can it ship so I can make sure someone is home to pick it up.

No issues with the work or the price. But would it have killed you to say it is going to take a week or two? I could have sorted another gun out in the meantime. If you don't want business on that messenger account, dont do business there.
Again I wasn't putting your name out there you did that. I was asking for other people's thoughts because I was a it aggravated over the situation. Wanted to know if others felt the same.

Disappointed in the communication is how I feel. Maybe take that as constructive criticism and try to improve that for your business.

Put your self in my shoes after you miss your local match you help run and set up, then miss a major a few weeks later.

This would be a "thing" if you said hay man, this is a mess and I will get it fixed. Give me a week or two and I will let you know. I would be bummed, but that is something I would understand. But radio silence (for the most part) isnt good business practice.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Sporky said:

Disappointed in the communication is how I feel. Maybe take that as constructive criticism and try to improve that for your business.

that seems like a fair complaint. Do you feel like communication could have been helped by you admitting "oops, I dremeled the f** out of my comp, and now it cracked and is loose" rather than "my comp is loose".  (assuming that's really what happened).....

I don't think these kind of internet pissing matches make anyone look good. I wouldn't resort to one unless there was dishonesty or real shadiness evident.

Edited by motosapiens

1 minute ago, motosapiens said:

that seems like a fair complaint. Do you feel like communication could have been helped by you admitting "oops, I dremeled the f** out of my comp, and now it cracked and is loose" rather than "my comp is loose".  (assuming that's really what happened).....

I don't think these kind of internet pissing matches make anyone look good. I wouldn't resort to one unless there was dishonesty or real shadiness evident.

I agree completely.  Every builder I know has what I consider communications issues that wouldn't fly in the rest of the business world.  That said, they are all small operations and we are all like kids wanting our new toys.  We are excited and we can really overwhelm them with "is it ready yet" calls and messages.  I am guilty of this myself. 

1 minute ago, Shadyscott999 said:

Every builder I know has what I consider communications issues that wouldn't fly in the rest of the business world.  That said, they are all small operations and we are all like kids wanting our new toys.  We are excited and we can really overwhelm them with "is it ready yet" calls and messages.  I am guilty of this myself. 

lol, I'm waiting on a pair of new guns as we speak. It's been like 50 of the 60 days.

If I sent something back for obvious minor warranty thing, I don't think it would be unfair to expect it back pretty quickly.

OTOH, if I do something to mess up my gun, I'm not sure it is reasonable for me to expect the builder to ignore all his other customers who also want their stuff right away and done to the highest standards.

Both times I've sent guns back (to a big company fwiw) it took several months, and I shot my other guns, and when the guns finally came back I was not overjoyed about the wait, but happy about the quality of work done.

One thing I would NOT do is publicly trash the builder of my gun if I thought I might ever need him to do anything for me again the rest of my life. That's like banging your mother-in-law. No one will ever forget it.

I agree completely.  Every builder I know has what I consider communications issues that wouldn't fly in the rest of the business world.  That said, they are all small operations and we are all like kids wanting our new toys.  We are excited and we can really overwhelm them with "is it ready yet" calls and messages.  I am guilty of this myself. 
Yeah. I get it. I felt bad every time I asked. He is a family guy with kids and I am too. So I know what a stress that can be keeping up. I didnt want to put his name out there I just wanted to vent a bit and not cause any trouble.
I feel bad this got out of hand so quick.
I hate pushy customers and if I came off that way, I apologize.

To be fair. When I first got that gun, I asked some questions about the mounting screw size and he responded on a weekend with what I needed. So I was super pumped about that.

Well that was..... interesting

15 minutes ago, Sporky said:

Ok I didnt blast but now I will. And I didnt put your name out there you did.
Your public messenger account also states that you can be contacted on that account.
7 days of no contact after you received it. Finally got a message saying "I'm trying"
5 more days pass. I asked 2 times in those 5 days for an update. Here is the response

You ask every day the gun is cut, just finishing it up. Please be patient.

Didnt ask every day. 2 times.

3 more days pass and I ask. He says done and we sort out payment.

I pay and get radio silence again. All that I ask is can it ship so I can make sure someone is home to pick it up.

No issues with the work or the price. But would it have killed you to say it is going to take a week or two? I could have sorted another gun out in the meantime. If you don't want business on that messenger account, dont do business there.
Again I wasn't putting your name out there you did that. I was asking for other people's thoughts because I was a it aggravated over the situation. Wanted to know if others felt the same.

Put your self in my shoes after you miss your local match you help run and set up, then miss a major a few weeks later.

This would be a "thing" if you said hay man, this is a mess and I will get it fixed. Give me a week or two and I will let you know. I would be bummed, but that is something I would understand. But radio silence (for the most part) isnt good business practice.

Sorry that is the impression you got, but it is NOT what really transpired. I have screen caps, 12 pages, of communication while we have the gun.

There is also a screen cap telling you exactly what the issue is and that it will take longer than I first quoted since the issue has changed.

We received your payment on the 7th, it was shipped out on the 7th.

There is communication on the 17th, 18th, 19th, 20th, 23rd, 25th, 27th, 30th, 3rd, 7th (shipped out on 7th). Consider there are a couple of weekends in between.

Again, I appreciate your opinion, but not your facts.

With all of that "communication", how many were NOT answered?

Two replies from you about the gun when you had it.

Real happy to communicate payment arrangements though.

If you would have just said that it was going to take a week or two to finish and test, that would have been a bummer but I would have understood and gladly paid the bill.

But you would not answer me.  Really that simple.

Take that for what it is worth

3 minutes ago, Sporky said:

With all of that "communication", how many were NOT answered?

Two replies from you about the gun when you had it.

Real happy to communicate payment arrangements though.

If you would have just said that it was going to take a week or two to finish and test, that would have been a bummer but I would have understood and gladly paid the bill.

But you would not answer me.  Really that simple.

Take that for what it is worth

You do realize that every time he has to break away from working on a gun to check and answer messages is time he's not working on the gun, right? Now add in he's working on your gun but doesn't know for sure how far down the rabbit hole he's going to have to go with it. How many times would you like to hear, I'm working on it." because he doesn't have a better answer to give you?  If you absolutely NEED minute by minute updates, the only way you are going to get it is by doing the work yourself. But you did that, didn't you?

Have a little patience and let him do his work. 

Just now, Dranoel said:

You do realize that every time he has to break away from working on a gun to check and answer messages is time he's not working on the gun, right? Now add in he's working on your gun but doesn't know for sure how far down the rabbit hole he's going to have to go with it. How many times would you like to hear, I'm working on it." because he doesn't have a better answer to give you?  If you absolutely NEED minute by minute updates, the only way you are going to get it is by doing the work yourself. But you did that, didn't you?

Have a little patience and let him do his work. 

Considering hes on social media all day long... I dont think responding would really be an issue.

Lame excuses are just that. Lame.