Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open gun retention holster

Does anyone know if a retention holster that works on an gun with a frame mounted dot and *thumb rest [generic]* exists? I recall seeing a picture somewhere(that I can no longer find) of a kydex holster with a wrs hood for a frame mounted dot gun, but couldn't tell if it could work with a *thumb rest [generic]*/nitro fin.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, RAINY0DAYS said:

And now I'm curious why thumb rest generic was auto corrected in place of what I originally wrote.

That has been this way since the beginning on the forums. Been discussed before but I have long forgotten the reason. Probably a patented name issue

Because what we normally call the loud pedal (you know the one under your right foot) in our cars is trademarked and under threat of legal action it now auto corrects to what you see.

So when I got in my automobile and stepped on the *thumb rest [generic]* to peel out that's what happened!

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, RAINY0DAYS said:

Do you have a picture of it? Just trying to picture in my head how it would work.

I’ll tey and find one and post it. I got a new phone and don’t have one right now. 

On 8/9/2018 at 12:46 AM, toothandnail said:

I believe Weber Tactical makes them

Jumping in here, since I might be looking for one of these myself pretty soon... do you happen to have a picture or a link? I've checked Weber Tactical's website a few times and didn't see anything along those lines. It's completely possible that I missed it, though.

On 8/18/2018 at 9:14 AM, RAINY0DAYS said:

Do you have a picture of it? Just trying to picture in my head how it would work.

Same request from me. I've got a couple of RHT holsters that I really like, so if they do make one that would work with a frame-mounted optic, that would be awesome.

On 8/20/2018 at 6:57 AM, 3gunDQ said:

014... useless aside from the retiention. It is the 3gun holster and nothing more. 

Are you talking about the Safarliand 014?

Edited by Steve133

https://www.ghostholsterdirect.com/shop/ghost-holster-the-one/

This is what I use, added a muzzle cup to stabilize it even more than stock. Makes no difference what kind of accessorise are on the pistol, it still holds it securly.

A pistol fitted properly in this holster will NOT come out until the lever is flipped by your finger in the back

jj

I’ve used the Racemaster for several years without issue and when locked the gun is not coming out. It’s plenty fast to draw once you are used to disengaging the lock.

I did watch a guy lose his pistol at the last multigun match from a RM, but he didn’t lock it before starting the stage either.

20 hours ago, Steve133 said:

Jumping in here, since I might be looking for one of these myself pretty soon... do you happen to have a picture or a link? I've checked Weber Tactical's website a few times and didn't see anything along those lines. It's completely possible that I missed it, though.

Same request from me. I've got a couple of RHT holsters that I really like, so if they do make one that would work with a frame-mounted optic, that would be awesome.

Are you talking about the Safarliand 014?

I'll be talking to Weber today at a match I'll ask, to be sure.

Thanks for all the input, guys! Good to know that the locking race holsters that you see in USPSA all the time will work okay in 3 gun as well....

On 8/26/2018 at 6:52 AM, toothandnail said:

I'll be talking to Weber today at a match I'll ask, to be sure.

That would be awesome, thanks!

I use my Alpha X for 3 gun as well. No way is it coming out if the lock is toggled.
Think the Alpha x is worth getting over the race master? What about barrel rest and thigh pad? Thinking anything to increase stability in movement is probably a good thing.

And how smooth is your draw with the lock engaged?

Just now, RAINY0DAYS said:

Think the Alpha x is worth getting over the race master? What about barrel rest and thigh pad? Thinking anything to increase stability in movement is probably a good thing.

And how smooth is your draw with the lock engaged?

The Alpha X isn't much more than the RM. I am a buy once cry once kind of guy so I don't mind spending a teeny bit more. Plus everyone here recommended the Alpha X over the RM. I don't use the barrel rest and thigh pad, but I have considered getting the thigh pad. I don't see a need for the barrel rest. I think I run pretty fast compared to most other shooters as well.

My draw with the lock isn't great,but I don't really practice it as I shoot production in USPSA. If you shoot limited, it'll be easy. If my fingers were a bit longer it would be significantly easier to draw.

39 minutes ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

The Alpha X isn't much more than the RM. I am a buy once cry once kind of guy so I don't mind spending a teeny bit more. Plus everyone here recommended the Alpha X over the RM. I don't use the barrel rest and thigh pad, but I have considered getting the thigh pad. I don't see a need for the barrel rest. I think I run pretty fast compared to most other shooters as well.

My draw with the lock isn't great,but I don't really practice it as I shoot production in USPSA. If you shoot limited, it'll be easy. If my fingers were a bit longer it would be significantly easier to draw.

Are you saying you use the Alpha X in Production?

1 hour ago, lacivilian said:

Wut..... please tell me you aren't using the Alpha X in production.

Thought the post was pretty clear, guess it wasn't. I don't practice drawing my pistol for 3 gun, only USPSA. So I don't really draw out of the Alpha X, only a kydex for production.