Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 Primer plate catching on rotation

I was having a problem with primers winding up sideways in the primer pockets. I poked around the priming system, discovered all three nuts were loose, and tightened them, poof, the sideways primers went away.

So I went to tightening the nuts before every reloading run. Now I can feel and hear the primer plate "catching" a little when it turns. It won't turn smoothly anymore. Just to look at it, I suspect it's the black 10/24 x 1/4 BH screw, Part # 13964, that's too tight.

Going on the assumption I have tightened something TOO much, how do you tell when it's right? (Yeah, I know, "when it's not catching anymore", but I'm looking for a factory distance here, something I can set with a caliper.)

I had similar problem and when I tightened the screws down the primer plate would not turn smoothly and I could actually stop it if I tightened it too tight. Took it apart and found a ridge/scratch from the CCI primers had formed on the bottom just enough to press down when tight. Cleaned up the ridge with sandpaper and all good.

gerritm

2 hours ago, ChemistShooter said:

Ok, so you can actually tighten that thing too much. So I will have to experiment a little to see what the right amount of tightness is.

Thanks for the feedback.

Mine never work themselves loose. If yours do, I would put some blue loctite on them and just snug to where everything runs smooth. They should stay snug until you want to loosen them