Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is anyone running the new CK steel grip

ElkChaser

I run a PT EVO on my Limited Gun and thinking about putting a steel  grip on my Open Gun and looking at the new CK from what I head it is a bit smaller then the EVO  I really like but it is a little big I have medium sized hands was hoping to get some feedback on them and if you have used a PT would love to see how they compare 

Edited by ElkChaser

There was a discussion on the two a little while back. I have the E2 and have shot the Evo. Here is my review: 

Fitting: 

I fitted my E2 last night to a STI frame and the grip slid right on. No filing, no forcing .. nice and easy. I also tried it on a CK Arms frame and that would of required me break out the files to get it to go on, but it didn't seem like much would've been needed. I did however have to file a bit in the trigger area (not the bow .. that fit perfectly) to get it to move freely. (I am using a Geppert Vario Convex). As for the blending, well I didn't get to that yet, but it doesn't look like there's much to do

As for fitting the EVO, I can't speak to that, however from what I have been told they generally need some time 1-2 hrs . But that all depends on the frame etc. 

Grip comparison to the EVO 

The E2 is a lot less 'grippy' for sure, but to me more comfortable. I have two buddy's that shoot with the EVO so I was fortunate enough to test them out. They are great, but for me I like a bit less grip, especially if I have to adjust because of a poor hand position draw it's easier for me to adjust. I have large hands and the E2 feels better to me than the EVO. Also the two have completely different textures, so I'm assuming that comes into play on comfort.

Extra commentary

A couple things to note: 

* I use the BCG Cyclone button .. well I used to .. the mag release that comes with the E2 isn't long enough to clear the grip profile enough to drop the mag with the button on. The button hits the grip and stops it just shy. You will either have to modify it, make some sort of spacer or go with another solution. (this is not a big deal to me)

* The E2 uses a proprietary mag well. again not a big deal to me (I looked at it as a bonus that it comes with it and with a mag release for the same price as the EVO with no mag well..not sure if the EVO comes with the mag release.. I don't think it does).

* On the subject of the mag well: if you use 140mm tubes with a Dawson +1 Base pad it will not work! The base pad hits the mag well because of the size of the profile and how long it goes up the tube. Again this was no big deal as I put it on my open gun and I generally use big sticks (170mm) and my 140mm still has the plastic STI basepad  on it and that works fine.  

* Overall both are awesome grips and the quality is right on. As others mentioned above its a personal preference and suggest trying what you can out at the range etc. Given that is not alway possible one thing I'd mention is that I was hesitant to go the CK Arms route because I couldn't test it, but after speaking with Matt Cheely and he telling me that I could return it as long as I didn't mount it or modify it, that right there led me to the purchase and I'm glad I did. Tomorrow night I will put it through it's full paces and really get to see what the experience is going to be. 

One last side note 

I did also try the Limcat steel grip as well. They go about it yet another way: the grip pattern in more like that of 40 LPI checkering. I sent it back only because it didn't fit my hand comfortably and it felt really small. They too are excellent quality and have a return policy like CK Arms. Also the grip contour is more that of a traditional STI grip with a little shaping on the back. 

And here is a link to the thread: 

If you have any questions let me know and I'll try to answer them 

Sorry, I just realized that my previous post didn't include my actually shooting it. 

I've been shooting matches with it (open) and absolutely love it. I actually have large hands and and the grip fits it perfect. Very comfortable and just feels right. My gun balances perfect with the added weight and the way it's ergo cut (same as the EVO) the gun site nicely especially from a draw.  

I will eventually put one on my Limited gun. And just to add, for what you get the price is not that bad. I think it's a better deal than the EVO IMHO

I put one on my Gans open gun with a sti frame. It went on without fileing on the grip except at the trigger guard screw. Just alittle bit off vertically. I had a well stippled sti grip that I took off. Practicing dry firing after the install I like the Chelly ss grip better. Just as grippy, if not more than the sti grip, but it seems easier to get to the mag release and then get my grip back to the trigger. I am glad I bought it. As a bonus, the gun feels heavier, but more balanced.

I just received my CK E2 grip today, because for various reasons I couldn't get a PT Evo. The profile lets me access the mag release without flipping the gun, checkering is better than pretty much any carbide coated plastic grip I've felt, with the exception of perhaps some super low grit carbide coated units. I was a little worried about the compatibility of mag buttons but mine fits and works perfectly.

I've heard gun smiths say that a grip that fits straight up, without any work, is not actually fit properly. When I spoke to Matt he said that the grip screw bushings should ahve to be drawn into the holes by the screws, and the front trigger guard screw should push in.

Either way I'll be pleased once I have fit mine up.

I have an Edge that originally had a plastic grip with a really nice texture, but I wanted to try a steel grip and bought a used Phoenix Trinity Evo from the forum.  The Evo is definitely a nice grip and went on my gun easily.  I was at a match a month or two later though and ran across someone at a match with the new Cheely E2 grip and got to do a side by side comparison.  Like you, I don't have giant hands and the Cheely grip is cut a little different under the beavertail and I felt like that gave me a slightly better reach to the trigger.  Laying them on top of each other the Cheely grip looks to be cut up and in a tiny bit more.

I also like the texture on the E2 a little better.  Matt improved the grippiness of the E2 compared to the original steel grip of his which I appreciated.  When I tested his original steel grip, I wished it had a bit more grippiness in the back area next to the main spring housing.  The E2 definitely has more grip there and everywhere else, without being painful.  The Evo grip is really grippy but my computer guy hands were getting torn up by it.  I'm sure I would've toughened up, but I eneded up ordering the Cheely grip and have been extremely happy with it.  Because of the different contour at the gear of the grip, my gun indexes a bit better for me too without having to adjust anything which is also nice.

In the end, both grips are great, but The Cheely grip won out for me.  I should also mention for any of you lefties out there, I am using a Mitchell right side release and was able to get it to fit both grips with a bit of sanding.  It isn't pretty, as they are both contoured on the left side of the grip where the screw goes, but it works and that is good enough for me.

I run two of the original steel  textured ones . both on 9 major open guns.  I’d say I have medium small hands (im 5”7 on a good day) and they work just fine. Definitely want some pro grip on those hot days but they will bite into your hands good .