Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide lightening on a TS!!! Whatcha think?

Superpipe9

I have a Cz TSO and I have been thinking of lightning the slide. As is the slide weighs 14.7oz. Atlas gunworks gets there slides down to 10.5oz and I had a friend weigh his SVI sight tracker slide and it’s 12oz. The tanfo Limited and open guns also have there slides lightened from the factory so this seems like it would be a good idea. Am I missing anything?

18 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

Be sure to remove weight from the rear of the slide as well and be prepared to lose that soft recoil impulse.

I've only ever shot a few rounds through a TS. It felt soft. Not sure if too soft for my taste.

I don't think you gain anything by lightening the slide.   If your reason for doing so is to make faster splits, go to a lighter bullet instead.

I had mine lightened only because I wanted to put a dovetail mounted red dot on it.  The lightening allowed me to keep the weight down to 16 oz.

2 hours ago, zzt said:

I don't think you gain anything by lightening the slide.   If your reason for doing so is to make faster splits, go to a lighter bullet instead.

I had mine lightened only because I wanted to put a dovetail mounted red dot on it.  The lightening allowed me to keep the weight down to 16 oz.

Come on, slide lightening looks cool!

Don't be such a stick in the mud ?

Slide lighting does many things , Cool is the top of the list.

Read panda's thread on where and how much, great info.

Biggest thing for me is the sights do not move as much with a lightened slide (either iron or optic)

Sight recovery is faster and with light bullets seems even faster, the but is can you see them fast enough to use the added speed of cycling with both.

Also for carry optics it's a great way to reduce weight if needed

You can't compare ounce to ounce the weight of a 2011 slide to the weight of a TS/0 slide. They don't weigh the same to start with so it's not a good direct comparison.

Also, how well you grip the frame, your recoil spring and amount of visual acuity you have all determine how quickly you see the sights after a shot a far far greater degree than bullet weight.

I know its not a TS but for my regular SP-01 Shadow in IPSC production division i went from heavy to light bullets and tuned the recoi/mainspring for that load. That helped me achieve faster split times and more consistent hit where I want them to be. Judged not only by feel but by being true to yourself and testing different drills and targets, what dl you see.. evaluate the hits and the time etc...