Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Sig MPX ?

13 hours ago, Gregg K said:

I'm at 12K through it now and it still runs everything. It even runs 93 PF 95 grain loads for steel as well as 124 grain loads at 145 PF. The trigger is the only thing I changed that could change cycling, I have a Hiperfire Eclipse. I do clean it very well every 1K or so including the gas system in an ultrasonic. The 308 AR chamber brush works well for cleaning out the crud in the locking lugs.

Yeah I ultrasonic the  plug and gas piston as well, works wonders after 30 minutes.  

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 7:12 PM, zdog said:

Ditto on the ultra sonic.  I conned my dentist out of a unit that he was too lazy to fix.

now that is a good deal. I ended up finding a used jeweler's one on EBay.

On 12/17/2018 at 12:27 AM, Archangelgt said:

Competition also has a re-designed bolt carrier and recoil spring assembly. Also changed the rear rubber bumper. 

New charging handle, and added a tab to the rear piece of the recoil assembly that fits into a new groove on the lower that isn't present on the Gen 2s. Probably this was done because of the complaints of 1.) the charging handle latch breaking and 2.) the charging handle gouging the lower. 

I also read somewhere Rob from In Lead We Trust, measure the gas port and the PCC was larger than the Gen 2 but still smaller than the Gen 1. Sorry can't find the blog where I read that. 

Had a chance to shoot a Gen3 this weekend and took it apart afterwards.. The barrels look the same, the only noticeable difference i saw was the bolt is now a 2 piece design  

Add another MPX owner with no issues (so far... knock on wood...) at ~8000 rounds.  Had the extractor spring fail at 7000 rounds last month, and found out it's recommended to change them at 5000.  Oops.  Spring plus riser costs virtually nothing, so I'm going to keep them refreshed at 3000.  I clean mine after every other match, so every 300-350 rounds, and clean the piston every 4th.  I rarely have much carbon build up in the piston at all, but the bolt/chamber get about as dirty as my DI .223.  Been very happy with it functionally.  I shoot nothing but hot factory 115 or 124, usually Sellier & Bellot or Fiocci.  Whatever is cheapest at the time.  No time or space for reloading.

Went with the Taccom ULW setup (5.5" ILWT barrel welded to a shroud with a round CF handguard), and while I love the feel and 'pointability' of the gun I just haven't been able to get used to how squirrely it is when going fast and double-tapping.  Can't get the accuracy.  I was sure I'd get it eventually if I just kept shooting it, but we had a Blaster match last month that was all paper so you could bring anything, and I took my fairly heavy 18" JP-15.  The heavier barrel just held right where I pointed it no matter how fast I pulled the trigger.  Tried a GMR-15 after that and had the same easy accuracy but with a much harsher recoil than my MPX.  There's a thread on this forum that asks is it possible to go too light, and the answer for me is yes.  Just ordered a 14.5 ILWT barrel and heavier Midwest handguard and a BMX comp.  Thought about just buying the new MPX and shooting it stock, but mine is flawless right now and I love the Hiperfire eclipse I've got in it.  Just needs more front-end weight.  I do like the look of the handguard and comp. 

I don't shoot steel challenge but the ultra-light front would probably be great for a one-shot per target game. 

Edited by NervousEnergy
added ammo

I run an MPX and a "home built" with JP guts.  My MPX is more reliable.  Don't get me wrong, my "home built" is excellent,  tuned and refined over two years.  If I was going to do it over again, I wouldn't build, I would just buy the MPX and be done with it.  It was reliable and perfect out of tbe box.  I just put a 24c trigger in it and it eats my 115 and 145 loads with only a minor change in impact.

4 hours ago, Polaris13 said:

I run an MPX and a "home built" with JP guts.  My MPX is more reliable.  Don't get me wrong, my "home built" is excellent,  tuned and refined over two years.  If I was going to do it over again, I wouldn't build, I would just buy the MPX and be done with it.  It was reliable and perfect out of tbe box.  I just put a 24c trigger in it and it eats my 115 and 145 loads with only a minor change in impact.

ditto.... 

If I had back all the time, money and ammo I blew trying to make my AR-9 as good as my MPX I could of had another MPX. Same thing here, if I had it do over I would have never looked at an AR-9, it initially looked to be the cheaper route, it wasn't.

The Gen 3 model is actually en route as we speak, I was able to get it at a lower price than Osage County.  I paid $1539 and I can't wait to get it, I waited a while before purchasing the MPX didn't want to get their Gen 1 or 2 so once I found did about their newest model and my dealer had it I pulled the trigger on it.  I'm already using a CMMG Guard 9 PCC but I've been eyeing this MPX  for quite sometime.  I'm glad Sig finally upgraded its trigger, made it lighter too and upgraded a few other components.  The magazines are not cheap that's for sure!  

• 3 months later...
On 8/8/2018 at 10:07 PM, Gregg K said:

I have been very pleased with mine. It's the softest shooting 9mm carbine I have run. I only have a little over 1200 rounds through it but not a single malfunction. At 600 rounds I pulled the barrel and the gas piston to check it out after reading that they can get really cruddy. All I had to do was brush it off a little and reassemble, I was surprised at how clean it was. I'm running 132 PF loads with 124 Ibejihead coated bullets.

I would love to have one of the narrow handguards that they show on the new model but other than that I'm very pleased. I did change out the stock for an AR tube with an ACS stock since the factory I beam stock wouldn't provide a good cheek weld.

I really like IbeJi bullets and run them in my Ar9. Thinking of an MPX Gen3. Any issues with the coating and gas ports? What powder do you use? I run 145s with Universal Clays @ 130pf. Thanks

On 1/18/2019 at 8:00 PM, chgofirefighter said:

The Gen 3 model is actually en route as we speak, I was able to get it at a lower price than Osage County.  I paid $1539 and I can't wait to get it, I waited a while before purchasing the MPX didn't want to get their Gen 1 or 2 so once I found did about their newest model and my dealer had it I pulled the trigger on it.  I'm already using a CMMG Guard 9 PCC but I've been eyeing this MPX  for quite sometime.  I'm glad Sig finally upgraded its trigger, made it lighter too and upgraded a few other components.  The magazines are not cheap that's for sure!  

Any word on experiences comparing the CMMG to the Gen3 MPX?

9 hours ago, vgdvc said:

I really like IbeJi bullets and run them in my Ar9. Thinking of an MPX Gen3. Any issues with the coating and gas ports? What powder do you use? I run 145s with Universal Clays @ 130pf. Thanks

No problem with the coating at all, great bullets. I'm using BE-86 powder.