Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Activator Question for stage builders

2 hours ago, rowdyb said:

I've also seen a ring welded on the end of a spike and the cable ran throught the ring. You just hammer the spike in where needed to make the turns and slack work out.

That's what we use, although ours are screw-thread carabiners so they can be opened to accept the cable.  We don't have fixed cable lengths, though.  We adjust to length needed with U-clamps.  We did get tired of threading cable through eyelets and now use snap closure carabiners to hook onto the props.

As for what we do when we're done, we usually coil the cable up, put a zip tie on it and put it in a big storage box with the rest of the cables and break-away sticks.

20 hours ago, CrashDodson said:

Blackburn Copper Lay-In Lug Connector for #4 to #14 Wire (Case of 10)

Anyone have any ideas for attaching a mount point to a popper that doesnt have any holes in it?  I found this grounding connector.  Not sure how well it would work.

We’ve used small c-clamps or a cheap vise grip pliers. Neither is ideal, need to constantly check that it stays tight. Maybe lock-tite the c-clamp?

• 5 months later...

I like to use jack chain. The stuff used to hang fluresent light fixtures. Can be bought at home Depot or Lowe's. The best part is you just use a pair of needle nose pliers and open the links to add or subtract length. If it gets shot just take out the damaged section and relink back together. I use cabiners to connect to props. 

Instead of drilling holes in poppers. I made a L out of 1 inch flat steel and bolted that to where the popper bolts to the base and attach the cabiners to that.