Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Job Question

Justin M

Fill primer pockets with silicone or liquid rubber. All my dry fire practice ammunition has this and the black color verifies that it is my practice ammunition. Has worked for years and I have never changed the factory firing pin. This revolver  has at least 20 to 30 thousand  rounds through it probably even more. 

18 minutes ago, alecmc said:

i've always just used empty shell casings, ( or shhhh ! dont tell anybody - a empty chamber ! *GASP* ) and have never had issues with quality firing pins. 

You can make your own snap caps, if you reload. Just dont deprime the case when sizing, and dont put powder in when loading a batch of dummy rounds. Ive even seem some people go as far as taking the primer out and shoving a bit of pencil eraser in the primer pocket, or filling the primer pocket cavity with hot glue or something to absorb the pin strike. 

I had a series set up with Silicone Caulk in the primer holes.  Worked well and never saw any issues with silicone coming out into the pin hole.

Didn't know Ron Powers made extended FP's.  But have tried C&S, factory and Apex.  Tool Guy has the experience and matches what I've found.  I never found the sharper pointed FP's being any better than a long factory.  I've had all 3 break though.

Edited by pskys2

36 minutes ago, alecmc said:

i've always just used empty shell casings, ( or shhhh ! dont tell anybody - a empty chamber ! *GASP* ) and have never had issues with quality firing pins. 

You can make your own snap caps, if you reload. Just dont deprime the case when sizing, and dont put powder in when loading a batch of dummy rounds. Ive even seem some people go as far as taking the primer out and shoving a bit of pencil eraser in the primer pocket, or filling the primer pocket cavity with hot glue or something to absorb the pin strike. 

Umm. I would recommend against using spent primers to make snap caps. My fist attempt at this and there was enough Umph left in a primer that I got a squid in my garage. Fortunately, barely cleared the cylinder and easily cleared but scared me enough to pull those rounds apart and buy more snap caps!

3 hours ago, Mcfoto said:

Umm. I would recommend against using spent primers to make snap caps. My fist attempt at this and there was enough Umph left in a primer that I got a squid in my garage. Fortunately, barely cleared the cylinder and easily cleared but scared me enough to pull those rounds apart and buy more snap caps!

Are you saying the primer had  been fired and then fired again.     

15 minutes ago, revoman said:

I am not an expert but I don’t think 🤔 that is possible. But I could be wrong. 

I’m as far from an expert as you can get but that’s what I experienced. Admitting they poof was slight but it was enough to send the bullet from the case to half way out the cylinder. Had to tap it with a rod to get the cylinder open.

5 hours ago, Mcfoto said:

I will only use "empty-no bullet" cases with spent primers as a dud? round could find its way in and just need that 2nd hit.

34 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

I’m as far from an expert as you can get but that’s what I experienced. Admitting they poof was slight but it was enough to send the bullet from the case to half way out the cylinder. Had to tap it with a rod to get the cylinder open.

Let me get this straight. You had fired the round once and then reload the empty case with bullet only and left the spent primer in. Then the primer fired again when struck. 

2 minutes ago, revoman said:

Let me get this straight. You had fired the round once and then reload the empty case with bullet only and left the spent primer in. Then the primer fired again when struck. 

Yes

On 1/20/2019 at 6:37 PM, Mcfoto said:

Yes

Are you sure you didnt have a light strike somewhere along the lines, pulled the bullet and it was thrown in the spent cases bin for reloadin?. Id think that to be a much more viable reasoning. I just cant see how an already ignited primer could be ignited again. Primer compound is basically modified Nitro glycerin and its inherent instability explodes quite throughly and if by chance any residual remained upon the hit the the powder burn blowing back into the primer would surely eliminate it. Not to mention the firing pin crater left from a previous successful firing would not leave any clearance for the cup to be crushed anymore into the anvil to promote any ignition. Just some analytics to consider. 

11 minutes ago, BallisticianX said:

Are you sure you didnt have a light strike somewhere along the lines, pulled the bullet and it was thrown in the spent cases bin for reloadin?. Id think that to be a much more viable reasoning. I just cant see how an already ignited primer could be ignited again. Primer compound is basically modified Nitro glycerin and its inherent instability explodes quite throughly and if by chance any residual remained upon the hit the the powder burn blowing back into the primer would surely eliminate it. Not to mention the firing pin crater left from a previous successful firing would not leave any clearance for the cup to be crushed anymore into the anvil to promote any ignition. Just some analytics to consider. 

I am 100% positive is was a fired round, tumbled clean, new bullet seated in. It did not go off with the first strike but during the first session.

13 hours ago, BallisticianX said:

This, 100%.

You mean to tell us it's far more unlikely you accidentally forgot something or missed a step or made a mistake, and far more likely that you're the only person on earth to get a primer to reignite after it's been set off, and then have enough power to unseat a bullet?

lol ok🙄 better call up Federal and tell them their primers are reusable, or at least scavengeable. you could make millions.