Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

using AA #5, in 9mm. is it good?

Max It

Hi, We got several pounds of Accurate #5 from a Commercial loader who went out of biz.

he used AA #5 6gn to load 115 gn plated at 1.15" oal. is that good for USPSA shooting?

or should we go hotter load?

ok, so i did my own research: Western load book shows AA#5 good with all three weights and types of plated bullets I use currently. 

Only drawbacks I see are that AA #5 is hot and the moly coated bullets like a slower powder. Do you concur?

On 8/5/2018 at 9:22 PM, Max It said:

Hi, We got several pounds of Accurate #5 from a Commercial loader who went out of biz.

he used AA #5 6gn to load 115 gn plated at 1.15" oal. is that good for USPSA shooting?

or should we go hotter load?

I believe AA5 is a slower burning powder. I use it in my 230gr .45 acp, but never tried it in a 9mm. As other have suggested it might be good with heavier rounds like 147. I think you will need a faster powder with 115gr.

It’ll make plinking ammo that runs just like factory stuff, just fine. It just won’t recoil quite as softly as faster powders might.

No big deal, it’ll be fine to practice with. If you’re loading coated bullets, it could leave your gun dirtier than you might like, but won’t physically hurt anything.

Load to the minimum charge weight if you’re shooting lead or coated bullets: they run considerably faster than jacketed ammo will.

D73F3CAC-16D3-4FBC-B516-89127C7AB8D8.thumb.jpeg.c4fe24bb397545753ad3242ef52a103c.jpeg

778E7F5C-CBB4-4148-BE75-3DB0FFF9D4F7.thumb.jpeg.004a2d61e3fa25e95b22ba38592174c9.jpeg

Edited by MemphisMechanic

On 8/8/2018 at 10:09 AM, Max It said:

Only drawbacks I see are that AA #5 is hot and the moly coated bullets like a slower powder. Do you concur?

AA5 IS a slower (I'd say the slower side of medium) powder, and where did you see that moly bullets like slower powder?  And where did you see AA5 burns hot?

AA5 isn't one of the powders I hear about being a hot burner -- but I can't say I know, and I haven't seen the idea that moly bullets like slower burning powders ever.

hi Guys,

I am trying it under 124gn Moly, 6.0 works fine. I am not sure if the Moly needs much more than the lead itself. But that is the load we got with 115gn Plated also.

So here we go!

the internet is again my friend!

On 8/12/2018 at 4:52 PM, Max It said:

Moly likes slower burn, this from Bear Creek Supply.

Scan Aug 12, 18.pdf

Okay, so that bit of advice from Bear Creek on burn rate, velocity, what constitutes slow VS fast in terms of velocity, and the implication that fast burning means hot - - that is all so generalized and lacking in context as to be meaningless.  Ignore it. It's worthless. 

Hi Ya, I would tend to agree but then what is sound advise?
So far I am using CCI small pistol primer. And 6.0 gn. #5. Seat to 1.10-1.13”. Probably just under 1000’ps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Started using aa5 for 9mm, when I was shooting Berry's plated 115 grain at about 130 pf. 

Shot a whole lot, worked fine and really meters great.

Got away from it when Obama got elected and you loaded whatever you could find 

• 1 month later...

AA5 is a versatile powder in 9mm. While not ideal for minor loads, I found #5 to be almost identical to HS6 for 9 major loads. 8.8gr-9.0gr under a 115gr pill nets 171PF out of a full size w/ 3 popples, the dot tracks well.