Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

i just got my Omega 9K and want to load Subsonic

Bamaboy

Right now I only have 124 grn coated Blue and Black Bullets.  I'm using TG and load at 3.8grn. It is being shot out of a scorpion evo and a Glock.  Recommendations without having to buy too much new stuff?

24 minutes ago, chevrofreak said:

Dont shoot coated bullets through a suppressor.

My load is an RMR 147gr plated bullet over 3.4gr of titegroup at about 1.155" and it sounds very nice through my 9K.

Dont shoot any kind of coated bullets through it? If so, why? Does junk melt off into the can?

I love my omega 9k. I load 147 gr Xtreme bullets CMJ, 1.135oal, with 4gr of VVN340, puts me somewhere around 950fps out of a 4.5" barrel 

Even the best coated bullets (The Blue Bullets) will have coating come off inside the suppressor, which inevitably cooks the polymer onto itself. 

I always use a plated or JHP bullet with a suppressor, because even an FMJ can cause lead deposits.   

Fast powders like Titegroup, N310, N320, Sport Pistol, AA2 and similar will have the best sound.   My carry load is a 147gr HST over 5.1gr of N350 and a CCI SPM, but it is very loud out of my Omega 9k compared to my 3.4gr Titegroup load because of the slow burn rate of the powder. 

But I think I mis spoke. They are powder coated lead not polymer coated. I shoot them through my match master comp with no issue whatsoever. From what I have read on other forums powder coated lead should be fine

The use of titegroup with coated bullets can increase the deposits because it burns hot. My personal experience with titegroup and SNS and Precision coated bullets was less than desirable. 

Right now RMR has their plated round nose flat point bullets in stock for $87/1000 and they will not only be easier to keep subsonic (not easy with a 124 and also generate enough slide velocity to cycle reliably) but they will also eliminate any chance of leading. 

I'm sure lots of people shoot FMJ's through can's, although I agree, I'd prefer not to have melted lead coating the inside of my suppressors. Good thoughts, I can see polymer debris melting and doing the same thing, I'd imagine powder coated would be better but who knows. It is a silencerco suppressor, if you shoot trash ammo through it and the can gains weight, just send it back, they'll take care of it! Although I've found SCO's support to be lacking in recent months. I've called several times, left voicemails, and e-mails and can't get answers to some simple questions. 

7 hours ago, Smithcity said:

I'm sure lots of people shoot FMJ's through can's, although I agree, I'd prefer not to have melted lead coating the inside of my suppressors. Good thoughts, I can see polymer debris melting and doing the same thing, I'd imagine powder coated would be better but who knows. It is a silencerco suppressor, if you shoot trash ammo through it and the can gains weight, just send it back, they'll take care of it! Although I've found SCO's support to be lacking in recent months. I've called several times, left voicemails, and e-mails and can't get answers to some simple questions. 

I have found the same issues with their customer service and almost regret buying their can. Did not find customer service issues till after can was in jail

As far as shooting through a blowback rifle, I have used Clays and 124-125 grain bullets.  I don't have an evo, but I have an 9mm AR that I put my omega 9k on.  I can't remember my exact charge weight so I won't guess, but I know it was right in the middle of the Hodgdon data online.  It barely cycles in my pistols, but in the 9mm AR it is silly quiet and recoils like a .22.  Very much a sub-minor load, but it's a lot of fun.  I took one of my younger brothers to the range on Saturday, and the 9mm AR with that ammo was his favorite gun to shoot by far, especially at steel.

Load jacketed 124s softly - keep them under 138 power factor.

With 147s you can go hotter. The speed of sound is 768mph - or a little over 1120 fps depending on altitude, temp, and atmospheric pressure. 1150 fps is a good target to stay under.

So all of our 147gr ammo and most competition 124s are subsonic.

If you don’t mind taking the can apart to chisel out gunk you can shoot poly or powdercoated bullets through it, but you don’t understand how hard it is to clean. Do it once, and you’ll buy jacketed bullets to load.

If your can isn’t able to be disassembled by the user, stick to clean powders and never shoot coated bullets through it. 

8 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Load jacketed 124s softly - keep them under 138 power factor.

With 147s you can go hotter. The speed of sound is 768mph - or a little over 1120 fps depending on altitude, temp, and atmospheric pressure. 1150 fps is a good target to stay under.

So all of our 147gr ammo and most competition 124s are subsonic.

If you don’t mind taking the can apart to chisel out gunk you can shoot poly or powdercoated bullets through it, but you don’t understand how hard it is to clean. Do it once, and you’ll buy jacketed bullets to load.

If your can isn’t able to be disassembled by the user, stick to clean powders and never shoot coated bullets through it. 

Dang. I have thousands of powder coated BBI 124's. Never thought it would be an issue

6 minutes ago, Bamaboy said:

Dang. I have thousands of powder coated BBI 124's. Never thought it would be an issue

I hear you. A 125gr BBI over 3.7g of prima V is my preferred handgun load too.

I run it under a 124gr precision delta through my PCC due to the rapid buildup of gunk in my comp’s ports. I was shocked what 500rds did to it, and how fricking hard it is to clean. Think “screwdriver used as chisel.”

(And Prima V is an extremely clean powder.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic