Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Firing Pin Stop

tomjerry1

I just fit an EGW FPS to my pistol, I had a couple of stove pipes, 2 out of 75 rounds. I really like the effect it has on the recoil of the gun, I had been running a more conventional FPS with the rounded end with no stove pipes, so the square end is an experiment. Might I have to reduce the recoil springs a lb or two? I have a 38 Super, running HAP 125(.356), 10.1 gr AA#7.  Might be my imagination, but square FPS has a great effect on the recoil, the sights come back on the target much faster.

tom, it does, because it slows the opening of the slide.  I tried it and decided to put a small radius on it.  It helped, but drastically lessened the felt recoil bit.  Personally, I think it a benefit only on a bullseye gun.

Sure, the whole recoil impulse and function is a result of the balancing of the slide/barrel weight, ammunition, recoil spring and friction (caused by slide to frame fit or in this case the fps angles, even the lack of or consistency of lube can have an effect).  

Now by reducing the recoil spring you might not be much difference than just reducing the friction.  It all comes down to what the impulse feels to you AND keeping the gun running 100%!