Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Backyard shooting range

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:07 PM, Dirtchevy841 said:

Gonna put a 15x40 ft slab and over hang with shed on it. Couple shooting tables and picnic tables. Prob run a water line to the shed for a wash sink also. 

Mine started out as an 8 x 14 pavilion. Someplace to get me out of the sun and rain, etc. Then enclosed with windows all around. Now insulated with wood furnace so I can shoot all winter. Always something!

Have fun with it!!

1 hour ago, Nathanb said:

He’s in Louisiana. He may want ac lol. 

Id work on electric. It’s the one thing I always miss

Electric will be run to it just forgot to mention. I thought about ac lol. It may happen still up in the air if I gonna build just a shed or a little building with all the bells a whistles. Leaning more to a little 10x10 building with finished inside. 

Might want to consider a larger building?

Cost a bot more up front but the extra space will be worth it. You will soon have shelves and drawers and benches and, well, you get the idea... (Builder friends tell me that the corners cost the most. The sides are not a lot more for longer runs,) You will have corners stacked with targets and all the little shooting "needs" will need a place to live. (staplers, pasters, tape, etc)

Plus you will soon have friends coming over to shoot!

I have electric in mine. 2 spot lights above so we can shoot at / around dark. (4:30 in the winter!) We do 1 night shoot a year for Halloween so they come in handy. No A.C. in mine LOL.

I ended up putting up an 8' x 10' building out behind one of my berms to store the target stuff I don't want in the weather. Movers, steel challenge targets, hangers, stands, etc. Ranges are always a "work in progress" but they are great to have!

I had a bay built in my back yard this year and the one thing i want for it is a shed or something for storage. Something to put all my steel and walls in when im not using them. I hope to build one in the spring. 

New design lol. Figured out what the final one is. Main bay 50x80 ft. Back berm will be extended 30 ft past the bay berms. That will give me 2 possible small bays on each side. Thinking is to shoot into the corner or triangle part of the berm for static drills or just running small stage or classifier stuff as to not to use the big bay and all that walking ? 

• 4 weeks later...

This is my dream, I just need to find some property somewhere so i can start building its just a matter of time and ill find something. I dont think my neighbors in my development would like me to much if I setup a range at home lol. its actually amazing how hard it is to find a suitable property that doesn't break the bank and i live in rural northeastern PA. 

• 1 month later...

2 more weeks should be finished range. Land clearing for house and property lines took a little more time. But clearing the right side property line I’ve found another spot for a steel and target range. It’s hilly in the back and found a creek crossing that is similar to hickok45 range he does his videos on. Can’t wait to get shooting. 

• 2 weeks later...

Made a big jackpot find through a friend. Well the range will have field turf for the shooting area. Friend has a friend where he found a college redoing their football field and acquired me a piece of it for the range 50x80 ft. Gonna he awesome 

• 2 weeks later...

Range is done. Berms and shooting area finished. Berms are 10ft all the way around horse shoe. Can anybody post some pics for me. Pm me and I’ll text or email to you. Thanks. Now it’s time to start doing all the cosmetics for it. Over hang, turf install etc. 

• 2 weeks later...

On 11/4/2018 at 1:48 PM, Dirtchevy841 said:

Range is done. Berms and shooting area finished. Berms are 10ft all the way around horse shoe. Can anybody post some pics for me. Pm me and I’ll text or email to you. Thanks. Now it’s time to start doing all the cosmetics for it. Over hang, turf install etc. 

Very interested to see you setup and get opinions. PM your pictures if you like.

My fiance and I are preparing to build a house in the spring and the property has plenty of room for a range. Planning to use the fill from excavating house and maybe additional fill if needed. I was thinking 25x25 yards 3 sided berm and a shed next to it for storage. I figure 25yd and in is the majority of my shooting (a lot of pistol) and that width would allow most any normal USPSA stages to be built. The way the land is contoured I have a 400 yard line of sight to shoot rifle, which is pretty awesome.

Nothing is built yet and I am not married to any of my ideas to this point but I am very curious about the turf. I had been thinking of getting gravel dumped or just leveling and planting grass. it's already a grass field, no longer farmed. Would just need to be tilled. 

• 1 month later...

One thing I'll mention that you may want to consider (and it may be late for this) is drainage.  My range drains pretty well BUT there have been two occasions where it rained so hard and put down so much water that I literally had walls and stands washed completely out of the bay.  I have a small building that was flooded and of course my paper targets weren't high enough and they all got trashed.  

6 hours ago, Clint U66 said:

One thing I'll mention that you may want to consider (and it may be late for this) is drainage.  My range drains pretty well BUT there have been two occasions where it rained so hard and put down so much water that I literally had walls and stands washed completely out of the bay.  I have a small building that was flooded and of course my paper targets weren't high enough and they all got trashed.  

Got it covered. Drainage pipes in back right of   range. Just as fast as it starts to hold  water it’s out. 

6 hours ago, Clint U66 said:

Got it covered. Drainage pipes in back right of   range. Just as fast as it starts to hold  water it’s out. 

11 minutes ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Good call.  I thought for sure when I was getting mine together that I had enough slope and water had a good path to drain off BUT of course that wasn't the case.

• 2 months later...