Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Backyard shooting range

Dream coming true. Bought 30 acres to build new house and my one stipulation to wife for selling our house to do this was I wanted land for a range. Well it’s happening and it awesome, but need some ideas on the range. What goodies would y’all get for it. I was thinking about going with 2-3 small bays but a buddy of mine suggested going on big bay. I am leaning that way now 50x80 bay. Any input and ideas from you guys would help in the final build. Going today to land to line out the 2 options small bays and a big bay. 

I’d probably get a shed or conex to put my range goodies in.  

What kind of land/soil is it?   Sandy? Rocky? Clay? Dirt? Grass?

Could help determine if you need to bring in some material.  Drainage issues.  

BTW, I’m very jealous.  

Edited by CTJer

3 hours ago, CTJer said:

I’d probably get a shed or conex to put my range goodies in.  

What kind of land/soil is it?   Sandy? Rocky? Clay? Dirt? Grass?

Could help determine if you need to bring in some material.  Drainage issues.  

BTW, I’m very jealous.  

Red mud soil top soil on about the first 2 ft. No dirt needed have enough ? land is rolling where I am gonna put it so I think I’ll dig into hill and use dirt for berms. Whatever I go with gonna have a 15x40 cement slab with shed in it and cover on the rest for a shelter for tables and what nots. Where it’s gonna go runs downhill into creek with a 20-30 ft drop off not steep though may put my steel stuff like that dude hickock 45 and have all steel down by the creek. 

Get on maps and go to the satellite view to see what is around you . Also check with the Parrish to see if there are any restrictions .

neighbors ?? Do they shoot ??

I have a small 25 yard deep by 16 yards wide range I have used for 15 years.. Neighbors are good with it and there is a Church less the 3/4 miles down the road, so I won't shoot on Sunday till after 2pm and not on Wednesday evenings. I can backup to 60 yards on the range and go out to 100 on another part of the property,and I only have 2 acres.. Berms are about 7' tall,but the land goes uphill pretty good...

I don't have that much land but I designed a flowing trail that is good for hiking and biking (or horses, snowshoes, etc.) that integrates with the range. Keep that in mind, if you lay it out right you can make it a lot longer with snake curves and such. Also consider airgun/22 hunting opportunities where you're shoot in towards your property. 

Frankly(!) I'd be looking at how I could make a lane for long range stuff too, not that you need to shoot it all the time and can keep it on the down low. 

And yeah, don't broadcast it or people will sneak in. A game camera might be fun. 

I had one woman who had just moved up to the country from The City,

and she called the police complaining about my shooting many times.

They kept telling her I had the right to shoot on my 35 acres.

One day I honored her request to shoot a rabid raccoon on her

front lawn, and she never complained about my shooting after that   :) 

7 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I had one woman who had just moved up to the country from The City,

and she called the police complaining about my shooting many times.

They kept telling her I had the right to shoot on my 35 acres.

One day I honored her request to shoot a rabid raccoon on her

front lawn, and she never complained about my shooting after that   :) 

Amazing how gun owners become their best friend when we are there in their time of need. ?

It's a PITA to have to carry a target stapler, paint for plates, rests for load accuracy testing, etc.... from the house to the range each time you want to shoot. I bought a 30-gallon plastic garbage can with a tight fitting lid... stuck in on the range... and put that stuff in it.  A couple of cheap plastic lawn chairs make a nice place to set a gun bag, and other stuff down. Creature comforts are nice. A little thought can make your backyard range very comfortable. Mine is.

Edited by GOF

5 hours ago, GOF said:

It's a PITA to have to carry a target stapler, paint for plates, rests for load accuracy testing, etc.... from the house to the range each time you want to shoot. I bought a 30-gallon plastic garbage can with a tight fitting lid... stuck in on the range... and put that stuff in it.  A couple of cheap plastic lawn chairs make a nice place to set a gun bag, and other stuff down. Creature comforts are nice. A little thought can make your backyard range very comfortable. Mine is.

I started mine with ar500 steel gongs  - then just kept adding steel.  so much easier for practice than setting up cardboard, pasting etc.

Dirtchevy - steel fixed in place, then add easy to move no-shoots. then add walls / ports later. 
here is video from my last outlaw match:

Edited by scroadkill

Congrats!

wife and I are thinking about moving, this is one of my stipulations as well.  Hopefully I can make it happen in the near future.  Keep us updated as the range gets underway. 

1 hour ago, B21 said:

Congrats!

wife and I are thinking about moving, this is one of my stipulations as well.  Hopefully I can make it happen in the near future.  Keep us updated as the range gets underway. 

Will do. Other stipulation was I wanted my reloading room in the house ? 10x12 room for dad. 

Think I’ve settled on what I wanna do. 50x80 main bay with 1 smaller bay 15-20x20x25 ft for bill drills and static practice drills will be off to either side of main bay. Also scored some blue and white barrels from local car wash shop 25 barrels for free. Not bad. Local guy also may have a Texas star and a 8 plate rack he may donate to the cause ? 

On 8/6/2018 at 1:52 PM, GOF said:

Gonna put a 15x40 ft slab and over hang with shed on it. Couple shooting tables and picnic tables. Prob run a water line to the shed for a wash sink also.