Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
kmaultsby

Need advise for first Precision Rifle purchase

Looking to purchase my first precision rifle and optics.  My budget is around 3K.  I am looking at the Ruger Precision Rifle in 6mm a Bergara or Savage 110 tactical, 10 BRS or other.  I reload so that not is an issue.  My other sport is I shoot IDPA and USPSA.  I would appreciate any suggestions.

I shoot with a Masterpiece Arms 6.5 Creedmoor.  This is an excellent rifle for precision rifle competition and there are several places you can purchase one at a much lower price than getting one from the manufacture.

Posted (edited)

I just sold my Howa Bravo because I don’t have the range to shoot it, but all the instructors at my long range class were impressed and I outshot guys with Beregas and Rugers. 

Spend the $2k saved on ammo and training. Snipers Hide is the go to forum, also great classified ads there.

I don’t think it gave up any shooting ability to the custom rifles but admittedly the expensive stuff is sexy.

Edited by Frankly

You can buy a very high quality rifle from Masterpiece Arms for about 2K. Either 6.5 or 6mm Creedmoor will serve you well. That rifle would also allow you to shoot in production division if you wish. The problem will be that only leaves you 1k for an optic. That's going to be tough but buy the best you can afford and upgrade later. Otherwise you will go down the path so many others have travelled. That is you buy a rifle that you think you like and shoot it for a couple of seasons then buy the rifle you should have bought in the first place.

Not to be a nag but head over to  SnipersHide.com and join the forum, 1000x more PRS stuff

Let me second this advice, Snipershide is the place you want to go to get this info. Also for your price you can get a high quality scope and rifle from someone who is getting out of PRS. Also stick with the 6mm. You will not be disappointed. I shoot a 6 Dasher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hit a PRS match or two or three and check out all the rifles, and scopes.  best way to see what might work for you.  most everyone will let you fondle their rifles and scopes and some if not most will let you even shoot them (after the match or in down time).

Grab a tikka, he stock/chassis options are about as plentiful as they are for a Remington 700 and you don’t often have to worry about trusting the Tikka action.

For a cheaper gun I really like my Tikka in a McMillan stock. Factory threaded the trigger and stock options are nice and no gunsmith more. Remington actions can be amazing but will likely require gunsmithing depending on what you want down. I’m on the hide and it’s a great place to buy used also. I would hop on there and take a lot you won’t be disappointed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spend as much as you can on optics. You can always keep it and put it on new rifles as you upgrade. I would go rpr. Lots of parts flowing out there for them.