Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Music in earmuff

I feel less pressure or stress when I have music playing in my ears during stage runs. Hence better performance overall in terms of effeciency, less errors, etc. It should not be too loud to distract me from RO commands and be unhearing of other loud sounds like gunfires. But loud enough that you can even dance to it. Has anybody tried and noticed the same?

Yes I bluetooth w/ my Peltor sport tac 500 so its wireless. But even w/ wires in my msa sordins I connect w/ the iphone. I just run the wires inside my shirt. I usually play it at walk thru, and when programming the stage in my mind. Sometimes I just play it when Im on LAMAR. Theres a little distraction and  makes me focus less harder w/c helps me to be not so overeager to perform at speed. Seems it counters too much adrenaline w/c could wreck my runs. It may not be for everyone. My buddies wont even try it. But I think its worth exploring. 

One of the local long time USPSA'er GM open guys here does it. And he has been a GM and competitive for a long time so it seems there is something to it. I've always been curious about it. I should ask him the next time I see him. What kind of music do you listen to? You know there is some new tech out exploring neuroscience. JJ Racaza, Shane Coley, and Max Michel are all using the product. It's used in headphone form. Here is that link. https://www.haloneuro.com/science 

It is an interesting topic for sure.

My default are classic rock and hard metal rock music of the 70/80s. Must be in my generation. Im not young anymore. But Ive tried other upbeat music and felt the same results. Think its personal preference. Whichever positively distracts you.  

On 8/6/2018 at 4:07 PM, Hammer002 said:

I have thought about this many times.  Always thought it would be a problem.  Of course, I dont have wireless plugs either.  Dry fire a lot with wired ear buds

You can try put your earmuffs over your wired earbuds and shoot. 

On 8/4/2018 at 11:28 PM, BoyGlock said:

My default are classic rock and hard metal rock music of the 70/80s. Must be in my generation. Im not young anymore. But Ive tried other upbeat music and felt the same results. Think its personal preference. Whichever positively distracts you.  

It's not just your generation. I am in my 20's, and rock is my default as well! 

I have difficulties chewing gum and walking simultaneously.

Seriously, music in my ears would distract me. Clearly, it works for many others. If there's music in my ears, I cannot help but listen and pay attention to it. I recall a time when I had headphones on while walking, and there was a good song with an interesting bass line. I had to stop walking because the bass line made me stumble.

18 hours ago, perttime said:

I have difficulties chewing gum and walking simultaneously.

Seriously, music in my ears would distract me. Clearly, it works for many others. If there's music in my ears, I cannot help but listen and pay attention to it. I recall a time when I had headphones on while walking, and there was a good song with an interesting bass line. I had to stop walking because the bass line made me stumble.

I can walk and chew gum at the same time, but I do have to stop to blow a bubble. I listen to music at matches frequently, but once on deck, I get rid of it. Helps me to relax but I find it a bit much while trying to run a stage. 

This is something i have been interested in for a while. This weekend while at a match There was a company set up that sells molded ear plugs. I have a set of their standard but they had some Bluetooth plugs this year. the company is PremEAR. I was curios of the quality or the speakers. Anyone here have experience with that brand? The was very cost effective at only $200 a pair. 

I play music through my earmuffs. I adjust the volume if I want to drown out the usual chatter and focus on visualizing. Most times it's just some background noise and helps me focus by filtering out distractions. It could be playing white noise, whale songs, Gregorian chants, or I could wear passive plugs underneath and achieve the same isolation.

Sometimes if I need to mentally reset, I'll "tune in and listen" to the music and take my mind off the 14 rounds I dumped at a popper on the previous stage. Which is the only advantage a custom playlist has over white noise.

I also have been really thinking about this, music always seems me more focus and pump me up at the same time, oddly enough EDM works best for me which some might think it would have the opposite effect lol. It has to be something about the beat more than anything else and since there's no lyrics usually it doesn't distract me by hearing actual singing. I haven't tried it though because I've thought it might not be a great idea since it might be harder to hear range commands, not that id have the music loud just enough so i can hear it. Im gonna have to give it a try one of these days and see how it goes. 

On 8/4/2018 at 11:12 PM, BallisticExpansion said:

One of the local long time USPSA'er GM open guys here does it. And he has been a GM and competitive for a long time so it seems there is something to it. I've always been curious about it. I should ask him the next time I see him. What kind of music do you listen to? You know there is some new tech out exploring neuroscience. JJ Racaza, Shane Coley, and Max Michel are all using the product. It's used in headphone form. Here is that link. https://www.haloneuro.com/science 

It is an interesting topic for sure.

They where just talking about the halo on Practical Shooting after Dark on youtube seemed interesting but also not cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried listening to music but usually too many people want to talk to me. I think I’m going to see how it works for my on deck and shooting at our next local match. I listen to music doing everything else at home and at work. Don’t know why it wouldn’t. May stop my brain for over thinking everything.

I use the peltor tac 500, decent Bluetooth, I really like them. Use it all the time during dry firing and practice and zeroing, as well as on deck, etc, any times I just want to drown out silence.

I find I always want the song to start perfectly, like that scene in baby driver where he looks for a radio station ? so I don't do it when shooting seriously!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So was talkin about this with a friend. It would be okay as long as you weren’t resetting with them in. We have both seen RO’s recently that don’t ensure the range is clear prior to giving the name ready command. If no one sees you, and you don’t hear make ready, it’s gonna suck for you and everyone else. Please avoid while resetting or have a reset buddy that makes sure you aren’t bending down to fix something. Most everyone has seen the video with the guy taping while the stage is being shot. Don’t be that guy! Safety first

• 3 weeks later...

I tend to have music on during a match at all times except shooting.  I tend to get distracted about what song is playing when walking up to the start position and what will be playing during shooting.  Other than that, listening while at a match at all other times has helped me be more relaxed and confident.

Edit:  I also run the peltor 500's and love them.

Edited by hello0o0o0o