Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP jumps on the short stroke bandwagon

5 hours ago, STIboy said:

So far I prefer the JP SS kit over the Taccom, but I need to do a lot more testing before I have anything close to a firm opinion.  Also, it may matter which upper you're using.

FWIW, the JP version requires either the JP bolt or a regular 9mm bolt with the weight removed.

Same with the Taccom3 system. It's not required, but I tried it both ways and it's much better with the weight out of the bolt.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, SJMPCC022 said:

My guess, not much of a test. The extra weight in the bolt makes the whole cycle feel harsher. Without the weight it is smoother, at least for me it was.

That wouldn't surprise me, but there are at least a few people claiming that it makes for better PCC performance.  Harsher recoil, but flatter shooting.

We'll see..

22 minutes ago, STIboy said:

That wouldn't surprise me, but there are at least a few people claiming that it makes for better PCC performance.  Harsher recoil, but flatter shooting.

We'll see..

With the weight in I felt that the muzzle climbed up more at the rear of the stroke and dipped down more when the bolt came forward. I also have mine stroked shorter further than just the Taccom SS kit by using an cut down carbine buffer reversed at the back of the tube. Cycles fast and flat.

Edited by 3gunnuts

Got the JP scs short stroke buffer in and ran it some yesterday.  It is amazing. Recoil is way less and barely any movement on the dot. I did have some issues with jamming but not sure if that was the ammo or the gun. It was very cold and I’m sure the gun was having issues with it.  

1 hour ago, Nitro1 said:

Got the JP scs short stroke buffer in and ran it some yesterday.  It is amazing. Recoil is way less and barely any movement on the dot. I did have some issues with jamming but not sure if that was the ammo or the gun. It was very cold and I’m sure the gun was having issues with it.  

What gun are you running it with?

FWIW, your experience with the JP SS buffer mirrors mine, using the JP GMR-13.

6 hours ago, Nitro1 said:

How does the MBX and the JP SCS SS compare when pulling the charging handle back? I know you said the MBX was super tight.

can the JP SCS SS lock back the bolt 

Thanks

50 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

@Fo0 if you want a PCC to shoot flat, it’s pretty much always setup so you can’t get the bolt catch to do anything useful.

With side charging upper I don’t even install bolt catch so you don’t get caught on anything. 

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, jkrispies said:

So... at the risk of bringing this thread back on topic, does anybody have a long-term report to share on their experience with the JP short stroke system?

Mine has been running flawlessly in my GMR-13.  The dot seems to show less movement after each shot than before, but other than that I don't really think about it - it just works.

13 hours ago, Silverscooby27 said:

I can only comment on the function, not the performance. It’s been 100% reliable. Inability to have the bolt hold open is a little bit of a pain, but not that much of a big deal. 

No clue on the JP, the Taccom3 short stroke system is awesome.

As far as bolt hold open, do what I did. Take the bolt release right out and throw it away or put it in a different gun and don't look back. I don't miss it a bit !

18 hours ago, STIboy said:

The JP has been running great.  Next step is to try the Taccom against several other buffers in a different lower

I actually want to do a side-by-side comparison of these two myself to determine which will work best for my overall system.  

Whats the street price on the JP SCS short stroke, and anybody recommend a good place to purchase one?

Edited by jkrispies
13 minutes ago, jkrispies said:

I actually want to do a side-by-side comparison of these two myself to determine which will work best for my overall system.  

Whats the street price on the JP SCS short stroke, and anybody recommend a good place to purchase one?

That's actually my plan for this afternoon.  Don't think I'll come up with the final word on it, but at least I'll have a better idea how they will run on the JP and my AR-15 w/ adapter.

Can't help with the price check, I usually just get it from JP directly.