Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP jumps on the short stroke bandwagon

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont get it  I have their enhanced SCP, why would I want it to be a short stroke system? Are 0.13s splits not fast enough? I'd like to know what it really buys you. I suppose if it allows the gun to cycle 0.05s faster  and you can realize it, on a ~32rnd stage it could buy you 1-2s, for a match with 8 stages, that could add up to ~12s I suppose. I question if anyone can really run the gun fast enough and accurate enough to see the benefit.

47 minutes ago, Silverscooby27 said:

I guess my main question is will it mess up reloads or unloaded starts somehow, cause it’s already not very easy to jam the mag in for an unloaded start (for me, anyway)

The stroke has nothing to do with seating the mag.

I download mags for unloaded starts or mandatory reload stages. 

32 minutes ago, Smithcity said:

I dont get it  I have their enhanced SCP, why would I want it to be a short stroke system? Are 0.13s splits not fast enough? I'd like to know what it really buys you. I suppose if it allows the gun to cycle 0.05s faster  and you can realize it, on a ~32rnd stage it could buy you 1-2s, for a match with 8 stages, that could add up to ~12s I suppose. I question if anyone can really run the gun fast enough and accurate enough to see the benefit.

You would be surprised. If you can shorten up the stroke, you feel it less in your shoulder and the quicker the dot returns. 

1 minute ago, Silverscooby27 said:

Not the stroke per se, but perhaps it changes the spring pressure on the bolt, or room in there to seat the mag or something?

The stroke has nothing to do with the mag clearance. You could have no spring in buffer and the distance from top of mag to bottom of bolt is the same. It has everything to do with the spring pressure of magazine. I have to squeeze a fully loaded 33 Glock mag or a 40rd mag on a closed bolt. I usually download 3-4 rounds for unloaded starts. Mandatory reloads I usually only have 12-16 rounds in mag. 

1 hour ago, Silverscooby27 said:

I guess my main question is will it mess up reloads or unloaded starts somehow, cause it’s already not very easy to jam the mag in for an unloaded start (for me, anyway)

Unloaded starts are from bolt closed hammer down.  So unless you spend time locking the bolt back before you start seating the mag there is not going to be a difference. I have seen younger shooters lock back as they have problems stuffing in a full mag.  Solution would be to downdload the mag a few rounds.  My main mag holds 57 but I can download it 7-10 rounds and still have way more than I need in a stage.

38 minutes ago, 3gunnuts said:

Unloaded starts are from bolt closed hammer down.  So unless you spend time locking the bolt back before you start seating the mag there is not going to be a difference. I have seen younger shooters lock back as they have problems stuffing in a full mag.  Solution would be to downdload the mag a few rounds.  My main mag holds 57 but I can download it 7-10 rounds and still have way more than I need in a stage.

What's your 57 round mag setup?

Hello: Looks like they are using the green JP spring like I have been using for a long time on their new heavy ass buffer setup. I would say this setup will be for factory ammo and not really that great for 131-134PF reloads. Some like the short stroke and some don't. It is a more of how it feels to you than anything else. I am in the light bolt and buffer with the full length stroke camp. I have a bad shoulder so it feels better to me than the short stroke setup. Thanks, Eric

3 hours ago, HoMiE said:

You would be surprised. If you can shorten up the stroke, you feel it less in your shoulder and the quicker the dot returns. 

Hmmm, I'll have to try it. I'd presume a shorter / sharper impulse. I guess if the gun runs quicker, the recoil event is over faster allowing you to get back on target quicker. This would assume the sharper impulse doesn't cause more movement in the gun when compared to a longer impulse in which energy is dampened over time (lower magnitude peak impulse), or I'm over thinking it.

3 hours ago, 3gunnuts said:

I can’t get big sticks to seat well. I seem to have better luck with the 17 rounders so I can really slam them in with my palm. Problem is that if it is an unloaded start with >17 rounds.

14 minutes ago, Silverscooby27 said:

I can’t get big sticks to seat well. I seem to have better luck with the 17 rounders so I can really slam them in with my palm. Problem is that if it is an unloaded start with >17 rounds.

Grab the big stick like a beer can, download a few rounds and it sticks. No way around it or you’re reloading wh n you don’t need to. 

This sounds to me like more marketing magic ( gee do you think so ?)

I'm not saying it doesn't work ( I'm sure it does, JP is stellar) or perform as advertised.

Is it any better than what you are running right now ? Will it function 100% ?

My philosophy, if it ain't broke, don't f**k with it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My limited experience( first match March of this year) with this new and bad ass fun platform tells me this................................................ functioning counts big time, the rest is up to you !!!!!!!!!

I bought an aftermarket buffer system and installed it. After a few dry fires I took it out and sent it back ! The gun felt heavier and just not right, the trigger seemed heavier also.

moral of story................................................ listen to your brain, at least when you are NOT running a stage. Old system was flawless, new system feels wrong. Brain now decides new system is NFG and will not work! Brain is also there 24-7 telling you new buffer system sucks ass and will not function !

Return new buffer system and spend refund on hookers and booze!

Okay, truth be told practice ammo would be a better way to spend refund. Not to mention I prefer beer and would have no clue where to find a hooker !

Edited by SJMPCC022
no edit
23 hours ago, toothandnail said:

We've built short stroke for nearly a year now, one of the reasons, among others. 
Many malfunctions I've seen are a round gets behind the ejector, SS takes that out of the equation.

Seriously???  You may haves  just sold me!  

Edited by jkrispies