Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Entery level production pistol

I was interested in getting back into some USPSA matches & looking at Garand Power and Q5.  Buddy of mine is getting out of pistol shooting has a like new (one 50 round box of Aquila 124 FMJ through a Canik TP9 SFX with a Vortex Viper included for $500.  Is it worth taking a run at it with this.  I'll never be Ntl Champ, just want to re-engage.

Canik s.jpg

If it fits your hands, you can shoot it well enough, it runs reliably, and can drop the optic, go for it! If it doesn't run, dont bother, the top requirements for doing well in USPSA is reliability, reliability, reliability. 

Sig p320 platform is also a great production option, easy enough to swap out grip modules and find something that works well for you.

That is a good price for a good gun. If you like the red dot shoot carry optics or put the sight plate back on amd shoot production. The trigger on the Canik is pretty good right out of the box. You will like the sight radius if you shoot production.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

I am a Q5 owner and shooter.

Ran a few mags through the SFX at the last match. While it’s obviously a cheaper clone of the walther, it is perfectly suitable to production use. The price on that one is especially right.

Either sell the dot and enjoy a $350 production gun, or buy some mag extensions and shoot it in carry optics.

Canik is a good gun straight out of the box, but lose the red dot if you plan to shoot Production. Guy at my range had one and let me shoot it. I like the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Canik is a great production gun. Change the recoil spring to something lighter is you're using lighter minor ammo, swap the striker spring to a heavy Glock. Some extra mags, should be ready to go. Mine fit very well in a Bladetech holster for a Glock 34. 

Yep, yep, the Canik SFX .... You will be happy and these are VERY accurate guns. For production you will need the 17 rounders as the 20's won't fit in the box.... Go to the Canik forum... or watch some "Frank the tank" utubers.  The mags are MetalForm made and WORK... Look around,  $25/$30 for a well made mag is cheap these days !.. The Freedom trigger is a nice upgrade BUT the trigger is fine for most right out of the box..... No need for any more mods than these: for 130+ PF loads cut 3/4 coils off the stock recoil spring, collapsing spring ,  use vise grips on the recoil rod w/ the spring collapsed, (heat slightly), unscrew, cut spring, reinstall nut end, a tick of blue locktite..... Get either the "red"  or the 6.5 # Glock striker spring. I've left the Glock striker spring retainer cups in.... Have fun!!!!,.... For COptics I'm using the Vortex Venom 6 moa dot ... Works fine... I bought the "SpringCo" recoil set up.... It's back in the bag... Worked ok, just didn't like the extra pull effort...Save $75.00.....

Edited by mike NM
spelling

Your buddies Canik is a terrible option for you!!

Send ME his info & I will take it off his hands. lol Just kidding, that would be a perfect combination to start with, it's a great price and gives you the option to shoot 2 different classes or as others have said sell the red dot.

The gun shoots fine out of the box, only problem I've had is the stock recoil spring is to heavy for lower power factor handloads. If you run factory ammo is fine, or change recoil assm. as others have mentioned. 

Just do it, and have fun, you will decide what modifications you need as you go & get better.

Welcome to the sport, have fun.

• 5 weeks later...

Good to go for CO with the 20 round mags (you could buy Taylor Freelance extensions  made for Canik, and I've heard most CZ extensions will work too).

Production Greg Cote usually has great prices and Canik 18 round mags in stock. 

Glock guide rod an adapter for Gen4, 13 or 14 pound spring, and a 6.5 or 6 # Glock striker spring....  all you need.

You can also add tungsten weights or putty to inside the grip inserts to add 2 or 3 ounces of weight if wanted... 

• 2 weeks later...

A guy here liked Caniks, had three of them.  But he decided he didn't trust Century to keep parts available so he started shooting Something Else.  Actually went through a couple of different brands.  I don't think he is hitting as well, though.  I'd go for it.

You'll save yourself a lot of time, trouble, and expense, by investing in a Tanfoglio Stock II, a holster from Red Hill, with belt and mag pouches of your choice.

It, or a CZ, is what you'll end up with anyway.

Edited by MikieM

On 9/24/2018 at 1:50 PM, MikieM said:

You'll save yourself a lot of time, trouble, and expense, by investing in a Tanfoglio Stock II, a holster from Red Hill, with belt and mag pouches of your choice.

It, or a CZ, is what you'll end up with anyway.

Unless you put $1400 into a Tanfo and end up selling it to shoot a plastic gun again. :D 

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:50 PM, Rinoray53 said:

I was interested in getting back into some USPSA matches & looking at Garand Power and Q5.  Buddy of mine is getting out of pistol shooting has a like new (one 50 round box of Aquila 124 FMJ through a Canik TP9 SFX with a Vortex Viper included for $500.  Is it worth taking a run at it with this.  I'll never be Ntl Champ, just want to re-engage.

Canik s.jpg

Sounds like a great deal for getting back in the game.  Just stick with whatever you get and dry fire the hang out of it. Make it an extension of your hands. I started with a G34 then got on the Tanfo rage. Biggest mistake of my shooting career. I had the Glock down pat and thought I could be better with the Stock 2. My  shooting was set back months by changing platforms. Nothing wrong with the Stock 2 and I eventually learned it. Anyway this is not about Glock,  Stock2, CZ or any other gun. Just stick to learning the gun you have. The Indian not the arrow thing.

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 2:16 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

Unless you put $1400 into a Tanfo and end up selling it to shoot a plastic gun again. :D 

It is the bane of all of us, my friend.

I have gone from plastic to steel to plastic and now back to steel again. Oh the humanity. :lol: