Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Area 2 - Desert Classic - 2005

Just about the time you see the topic description... I'm sure that the first thing out of your mouth is "you've got to be kidding me"... or something to that effect.  And no, I'm not kidding.

If you haven't already mailed in your application, you will more than likely be on a waiting list.  I will still continue to call everyone to let them know if they have a position in the match or if they're on the waiting list.

Hotel info... We're using the same hotel as last year - the Country Inn and Suites by Carlton in Mesa.  480-641-8000.  6650 East Superstition Springs Boulevard, Mesa AZ 85206

My computer is slowly coming back to life, so it will be a while before I get everyone entered into a searchable database.  Please feel free to drop me a line at my home email or here on BEnos.com.

AZ Stats Chic/A2Chic  :ph34r:

rlamarca@cox.net

Hi...I noticed that in post # 14 (Aug 8 at 4:58 PM) you posted the following:

I still have 10 openings, which will more than likely fill up after today's mail.

350-288 = 62 (not 72)

Since Post #14 was more than 12 hours later than Post #1 (which announced the match was full), does that mean it really wasn't full at the time of Post #1?

Just curious...

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While the title of this thread does indeed state that the match is full her first post clarifies the issue by stating "If you haven't already mailed in your application, you will more than likely be on a waiting list." (emphasis added) It seems obvious, even without the added emphasis, what she meant in this post. Perhaps the allocation of slots is an issue that should be brought up before next years match. The wheels are in motion this year, slots have been allocated, shooters have been notified and those who are busting their humps to make it all happen continue to put in hours of work to further the cause.

-Larry

While the title of this thread does indeed state that the match is full her first post clarifies the issue by stating "If you haven't already mailed in your application, you will more than likely be on a waiting list." (emphasis added)  It seems obvious, even without the added emphasis, what she meant in this post.  Perhaps the allocation of slots is an issue that should be brought up before next years match.  The wheels are in motion this year, slots have been allocated, shooters have been notified and those who are busting their humps to make it all happen continue to put in hours of work to further the cause.

-Larry

Given that it appears there were 10 slots available before the mailman came on Monday, a little "heads-up" for the local members would have probably been appropriate. Consider how this all would have turned out had the original e-mail to our membership (which I received from the Rio Webmaster on Sun Aug7 at 9:20PM) said something like this...

Rio Salado Desert Classic/USPSA Area 2, We're almost full! Only 10 remaining slots!

Just about the time you see the topic description... I'm sure that the first thing out of your mouth is "you've got to be kidding me"... or something to that effect. And no, I'm not kidding.

There are only 10 slots left! If you didn't mail your application on Aug 1st, the only way you'll get a slot now is to hand deliver your application.

Since it's Sunday night, you should plan on coming to Mesa and bringing your application and check to my house first thing tomorrow morning. You must bring the application(s) to me before the mailman gets here or you'll more than likely be on the waiting list. I will still continue to call everyone to let them know if they have a position in the match or if they're on the waiting list.

etc etc....

Some consideration for the local members would have gone a long way, don't you think? I would have been knocking on the door...right along with everyone else that didn't get a slot! Hell...I'd have brought Krispy Kremes and Starbucks! Well, who knows? Maybe the administrators just wanted to sleep-in on Monday morning.

DVC

Everyone knows how fast the match has filled up these past few years. I would think that someone who is so very interested in getting in would have dropped the app off on the first day instead of haranguing the organizers a week later. While the A2DC may be the best match it is still, in the end, just a match. There will be others.

-Larry

--- snip ---

It's such a popular and renowned match, it's a shame that it can't be expanded to accomodate more shooters.  :(

FWIW...

That question was answered in this poll. Maybe people will be more receptive to adding an additional day now?

Just adding more shooters won't work. In '03 we wound up shooting the last stage near sunset on our late day. The last guys on my squad could barely see anything. Sort of an outside dark house. That was with over 400 shooters and only 10 stages. I am not sure what a good answer is but just adding shooters has been proven to be not a wise move.

Nov 12, 2005: Sunrise 6:57 AM Sunset 5:28 PM

Acutually this is a very good example of supply and demand. The People that put together the Area 2 Championship at Rio Salado have gotten the reputation of staging an excellent match. Because of that the shooters want to attend. Adding a day to allow for more shooters will bring another set of problems. I say leave it the way it is. Keep the quality of the match up and it will still be the premier Area 2 match to attend. Remember that it is the USPSA Area 2 Championship. If it was the Rio Salado Championship then that is a different ball of wax.

Alan.

(I really enjoyed last year so much, and it is after all the Area that I started in)

Everyone knows how fast the match has filled up these past few years.  I would think that someone who is so very interested in getting in would have dropped the app off on the first day instead of haranguing the organizers a week later.  While the A2DC may be the best match it is still, in the end, just a match.  There will be others.

-Larry

Larry,

Relax!!!!!, if members are not allowed to voice opinions, why have a forum.

Remember the Axiom" If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen"

It seems to me that everything in respect with Rio Salado and big matches always happens in the twilight zone, very few members (except the chosen few) know exactly what is going on.

"Those who are busting their humps to make it all happen continue to put in hours of work to further the cause" I really like that phrase,

very astute.

Based on the content of your replies, I have to assume that you are one of the chosen few.

Everyone knows how fast the match has filled up these past few years.  I would think that someone who is so very interested in getting in would have dropped the app off on the first day instead of haranguing the organizers a week later.  While the A2DC may be the best match it is still, in the end, just a match.  There will be others.

-Larry

Larry,

Relax!!!!!, if members are not allowed to voice opinions, why have a forum.

Remember the Axiom" If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen"

It seems to me that everything in respect with Rio Salado and big matches always happens in the twilight zone, very few members (except the chosen few) know exactly what is going on.

"Those who are busting their humps to make it all happen continue to put in hours of work to further the cause" I really like that phrase,

very astute.

Based on the content of your replies, I have to assume that you are one of the chosen few.

Well whoever the "chosen few" are I am not among them. As to my need to relax I feel quite calm. I am, however, a moderator on this forum and will not let this thread turn into a petty tirade about club politics. The club has a website and the ability to add forums very similar to this one to it. If they would like to run a forum for such discussions they should do so.

-Larry

I want to attend the A2 match next year.  However, I do believe that a certain block of slots should be reserved for A2 shooters, and that the folks from out of the area can compete for the remaining slots.  Once you realize how the US Mail works, you realize how everyone everywhere competing for the same block of slots is somewhat unfair to the locals.  FedEx actually is the carrier for most US Mail now.  That means that the unlucky bloke living 100 miles away, might have his mail put on a canoe and paddled around the backwaters for 4 days, while some guy in NY will have his letter sent on the plane and it shows up the next day. 

It's such a popular and renowned match, it's a shame that it can't be expanded to accomodate more shooters.  :(

FWIW...

I missed out too. Here's an idea for all: Locally we have a trail run up that goes up a mountain for 8 or so miles and about 4000 feet. Why anyone would want to do that is amazing, but they always have run out of the 400 slots available, often immediately.

Here's how they fixed it: They only guarantee a very few slots. For the others, you have a few weeks window to get in your app. Then they stop accepting apps and random draw the slots.

It takes all of the gaming out of it, but it is rather fair.

Sorry guys, but why is proper prior planning by those of us who got slots, not fair for those of you who didn't?

A group of us from Louisiana wanted to shoot this match. In my opinion this match is better than the nationals, so we watched the area 2 web page for the apps., we got everyone who wanted to squad together to get the apps. filled out , and money in hand. Now we had everyone's stuff ready to go and postaged a week before the match, with a designated guy to get the stuff in at the mail at the frist legal minute.

Nothing improper or "inside" information or "GAMING", just a little web searching, and TCB when the time came.

Here's how they fixed it: They only guarantee a very few slots. For the others, you have a few weeks window to get in your app. Then they stop accepting apps and random draw the slots.

If this is how they decided to do it I'd pass on the match. For last years S&W

indoor classic I overnighted my application (big $$) only to not get a slot because

"after the fact" they changed the rules and went to a drawing instead of the

first come first serve as advertised.

I got a slot for the A2 match because of proper time management and am looking

forward to a great match :D

• 1 month later...

So is anyone driving down to A2 from the Bay area? I'm not going, but I need to have someone pick up some powder for me from a forum member that would like to get rid of it (waste powder thread somewhere else). I'd appreciate a heads up. Otherwise I guess I'll have to find another way :)

Thanks!

Vince

rikarin, look into staying another night, my freinds have tried to leave sunday night and it always is a pain, due to awards delays and prize distribution. one of them actually was not able to walk the prize table due to flight times, or have someone walk it for you. the match is definetly worth shooting. trapr

brrrrrrr  :o

No shorts for this shooter  :(

65 at home would be freezing for me  :P

b

That's a high of about 65 at that time of the morning... temperature during the day can hit about 90. Sorry if my previous comment was confusing meant to say temperature at night in early Nov can be between 40 and 65 degrees, daytime temperature is normally quite a bit higher...