Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Par Timer app

Just4FunLP

I’ve been using my CED 7000 timer for dryfire for years, but I recently got a iPhone app called “Par Timer”.  It’s only about $3.00 and allows me to use my Bluetooth earbuds so I don’t drive my family nuts with the relentless beeping.  Also, I may try to use it to help me prep for classifiers during a match.  I tend to shoot them too slow or too fast, so I’ll calculate the time I know I’ll need and go to a safe area and run it a few times to get a feel for the speed needed to reach my goal. With the earbuds I’ll be able to run the timer as many times as I want and nobody will ever hear anything.  It may not be worth the trouble, but I need to try something different.  

The app will occasionally glitch causing the second beep to come early, but it’s not a big deal.  This happens mostly on my old iPad, but my newer iPhone works much better.  

The earbuds are inexpensive JLab brand at Walmart.  They’re great for watching YouTube videos while making practice ammo.  

Just thought I’d share it with my shooting buds...

0F9895FF-00DF-4C60-B938-338047B43AC6.jpeg

Edited by Just4FunLP

That “Dry Fire Timer” app looks pretty good.  The “Par Timer” app doesn’t have an adjustable make ready time causing me to rush.  It also doesn’t have the ability to repeat.  This app appears to be much better.  I’ll have to give it a try.  

8 minutes ago, Just4FunLP said:

That “Dry Fire Timer” app looks pretty good.  The “Par Timer” app doesn’t have an adjustable make ready time causing me to rush.  It also doesn’t have the ability to repeat.  This app appears to be much better.  I’ll have to give it a try.  

Good luck!

12 hours ago, CaliYeti said:

I use one called Dry Practice Drills and I liked it a lot.  You can set up different drills and save them.  Definitely worth looking into. 

I Use The Same one.  I like it.

Can you pause and restart?  I am using dry practice drill, I like it and it seems to have a bit more options.  However, the one thing missing is pause and restart.   If you get half way through several strings and you need to pause the only option is to restart from the beginning.

5 hours ago, andrewtac said:

Can you pause and restart?  I am using dry practice drill, I like it and it seems to have a bit more options.  However, the one thing missing is pause and restart.   If you get half way through several strings and you need to pause the only option is to restart from the beginning.

Yep!

On 8/2/2018 at 11:51 AM, jkrispies said:

Yep!

I just got the dry fire timer on my iPhone and can’t fogure out how to pause a string. When I hit the stop button it stops, but restarts the drill from the first string. The app I got is the one with the classic target as a logo.

Is there a way to set multiple par times per string? 

14 hours ago, Captiontom said:

I just got the dry fire timer on my iPhone and can’t fogure out how to pause a string. When I hit the stop button it stops, but restarts the drill from the first string. The app I got is the one with the classic target as a logo.

Is there a way to set multiple par times per string? 

Yep, classic target for the logo.  Mine has a play button (looks like a sideways triangle) that I can push.  When I push it, it switches to a pause button, and I can toggle back and forth that way without starting from the beginning.  If I want to start from the beginning after I've already begun, there's a slide that progresses through a string (like when you watch a movie and can pick the minute to go to) and I can either pull the slide back to the beginning, or restart from the main menu.  I've had mine forever, so I suppose that it could be an older version?

Edited by jkrispies

4 hours ago, jkrispies said:

Yep, classic target for the logo.  Mine has a play button (looks like a sideways triangle) that I can push.  When I push it, it switches to a pause button, and I can toggle back and forth that way without starting from the beginning.  If I want to start from the beginning after I've already begun, there's a slide that progresses through a string (like when you watch a movie and can pick the minute to go to) and I can either pull the slide back to the beginning, or restart from the main menu.  I've had mine forever, so I suppose that it could be an older version?

I guess it lost some features with a new update or isn’t well supported for by the newest version of iOS. When I hit the play button, it switches to a stop button and resets the drill

Just got the app;  So far I like it.  It costs $9 on apple store for iphone.  I also have the promaxx2 wrist watch timer which works great, especially for draw and first shot given it will pick up the dryfire 'click'.   

I like the forced cadence style of training w/the above iphone app;