Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

choosing 1-6 scope help

1911vm

36 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

No you probably won't, the C3 isn't very common. It's entirely based on marketing failure and lack of brand recognition, not in any way because of a fault of the scope.

Yea, the $817.75 price is so tempting. Almost $400 cheaper, and it's not like I'm competing at majors.

What bullets are you shooting? That was my only real concern with using BDC that was made for 55gr. I could load 55gr, but I just bought a big batch of 75gr bullets.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

Yea, the $817.75 price is so tempting. Almost $400 cheaper, and it's not like I'm competing at majors.

What bullets are you shooting? That was my only real concern with using BDC that was made for 55gr. I could load 55gr, but I just bought a big batch of 75gr bullets.

For hoser stages I just use Walmart bulk ammo, anything past 100yds I use 55gr handloads for now but they work pretty well. When I have time I'm going to work up a load for heavier bullets. From what I'm told it sounds like the BDC will be close enough 69 or 77gr bullets for 3 gun. Precision shooting would be a different story though. I'll let you know for sure in the spring.

1 hour ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

I just went and checked on Strelok, it's literally the same generic BDC formula that everyone else uses. Very close to the Razor, VX-6, Swaro, P4XI, Strike Eagle etc.

I use a light 55gr load out to 150-200ish and a hot 62gr load when I need more oomph. The 62gr load just happens to work great with the BDC but that's by happenstance, trying to line things up is very overrated.

3 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

I just went and checked on Strelok, it's literally the same generic BDC formula that everyone else uses. Very close to the Razor, VX-6, Swaro, P4XI, Strike Eagle etc.

I use a light 55gr load out to 150-200ish and a hot 62gr load when I need more oomph. The 62gr load just happens to work great with the BDC but that's by happenstance, trying to line things up is very overrated.

Gotcha. I think I'm wasting my money on these 75gr bullets. I'll probably go back to loading 55gr on my next bullet purchase.

So are you pretty much just using experience when shooting long distance whether it's BDC or MOA?

49 minutes ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

Gotcha. I think I'm wasting my money on these 75gr bullets. I'll probably go back to loading 55gr on my next bullet purchase.

So are you pretty much just using experience when shooting long distance whether it's BDC or MOA?

All my 3 gun scopes have had a BDC reticle. When I set up a new scope I play with zero distance in Strelok to get my established load fairly close to the BDC without having any obnoxious amounts of hold under between 80-170 yards, then I go out back, zero at that distance and then shoot between 300 and 550 yards to verify that things are doing what they should. Once it's all dialed in its pretty easy to shoot out to 500 in a match even if the subtensions don't line up exactly.Screenshot_2018-09-08-23-05-25.thumb.png.c79fb5b323ecc9a674430bdba7f49080.png

You'll notice that even though my 400 yard hash equates to 423 here, I would still hit the top edge of a 10" plate at 400. For the target sizes we use in 3 gun it's really not as complicated as we like to make it.

28 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

All my 3 gun scopes have had a BDC reticle. When I set up a new scope I play with zero distance in Strelok to get my established load fairly close to the BDC without having any obnoxious amounts of hold under between 80-170 yards, then I go out back, zero at that distance and then shoot between 300 and 550 yards to verify that things are doing what they should. Once it's all dialed in its pretty easy to shoot out to 500 in a match even if the subtensions don't line up exactly.Screenshot_2018-09-08-23-05-25.thumb.png.c79fb5b323ecc9a674430bdba7f49080.png

You'll notice that even though my 400 yard hash equates to 423 here, I would still hit the top edge of a 10" plate at 400. For the target sizes we use in 3 gun it's really not as complicated as we like to make it.

Gotcha, thanks. Our range doesn't really shoot beyond 2-300 yards so I'm not worried for the further shots. 

I'll have to think about it and evaluate my finances tomorrow since I'll have to drop another $140 on a mount for the optic. I was really hoping to go through September without any big purchase, but might just have to deal with this one... maybe sell a CZ.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2018 at 6:31 PM, blacklab said:

I never held one before I bought one ether but I decided to take a chance. I'm glad I did, I think its about the best scope you can get for 3 gun. I'll take it over Razor any day.

I did the same thing based on this thread. There is almost nothing out there about the scope other than this (small) community. 

I am glad I did and also sold a razor after using this one a bit. 

11 hours ago, mgrs said:

I did the same thing based on this thread. There is almost nothing out there about the scope other than this (small) community. 

I am glad I did and also sold a razor after using this one a bit. 

Dang! I ended up going with a Razor hah. How is the glass quality? That was the only thing that really led me towards the Razor. I do like the C-More reticle more.

On 9/21/2018 at 7:07 PM, greerstyl said:

i bought the viper gen 2 1-6x because of the great price and the red dot setting, most of my comps are sub 200yrd shots but i feel like its one of the best values out there does anyone else have one?

I have one and really like it.

Perfect for what I need.

I have one and really like it.
Perfect for what I need.

Just used it first time live 3 gun over the weekend and LOVE it. The red dot is perfect and I like the cross hairs. I didn’t have any real distance targets but so far so good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2018 at 4:05 PM, greerstyl said:

Just used it first time live 3 gun over the weekend and LOVE it. The red dot is perfect and I like the cross hairs. I didn’t have any real distance targets but so far so good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is the brightness on the red dot in broad daylight?

1 hour ago, Will_M said:

so mt comparison only includes the strike eagle which was useless during the day, the viper and the razor claim to have the same red dot, i havent used a razor in competition only looked through it in a friends house, but the viper red dot was easily seen in bright daylight at the 11 setting. maybe someone else can chime in, but for $500-600 i think nits the best value 

On 10/3/2018 at 10:16 AM, Will_M said:

IME, it is plenty bright in any conditions. Including hot bright NC summer sun.

Haven't been out to the desert with it, but I would think it would be fine there, too. Seems to be about same as my Steiner.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Go with Vortex. The Razor 1-6 is of the premier 3-Gun scopes. That being said I agree with comments above that the Viper is the best value. I have both and I think that difference in quality is not justified by the difference in price. The Viper is so close to the Razor that for around $600 it's an obvious choice. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/9/2018 at 4:18 PM, P.E. Kelley said:

That is a good choice!  I am a Burris man so I would go with the RT-6 or XTR2 1x5, but that Steiner is solid!

So I just purchased a  XTR2. now what is a good QD mount for it?

1 hour ago, 1911vm said:

So I just purchased a  XTR2. now what is a good QD mount for it?

For a QD mount, I would go with a LaRue, but ZRODelta is another good choice. They both hold zero well and both are very tough.  The LaRue has the rings split vertically, where the ZRODelta's rings are split horizontally.

On 9/5/2018 at 8:09 PM, Timmeh said:

If you have the budget of 1500, the VX-6 will beat the razor in weight by FAR, both have amazing warranties, glass is comparable, the biggest thing for me besides weight would be reticles, if you like crosshairs, you can go with Razor, if you like modern ones, VX6. Plus, you don't hear of Leupold scopes breaking all the time, little bias there ; )

The new Gen II razor is a lot more attractive now than the heavier one, I will give it that.

Have you heard of Razor HD 2's breaking...hardly ever? Also, if you want to throw mud, MK6 line has trash in the glass VERY often, and the turrets on the 3-18's got some issues.

I just picked up a Leupold VX-6 HD with the green FireDot BDC reticle. Haven't had a chance to run it yet, but so far I like what I'm seeing.

I know the Razor is considered the benchmark, and while I've looked through one a few times and it's certainly a great scope, it doesn't exactly meet my needs.  Since I'm color-blind, I have a really hard time picking-up the red illumination on the Razor. The green FireDot on the other hand is definitely daylight-bright for me and I can see it much more easily. I also like that the Leupold is way lighter (pretty sure it's by far the lightest in it's class). The glass, eyebox, and field of view all seem comparable.  I also like that the turrets are 1/4-MOA per click vs 1/2-MOA and it comes with the option of a custom dial (kinda redundant with a BDC reticle, but I don't mind having options). Yes, the turrets are exposed, but they are locking so I don't see that as a big deal. 

I was able to buy the Leupold up for a good price and it came with really nice scope caps and a throw lever, so with some careful shopping, it think it can be an overall better value.