Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

choosing 1-6 scope help

1911vm

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Mike9250 said:

3.7 oz weight difference.  For me it wasn't worth the extra $300-$400.  My competition guns aren't all that light anyway.  

For real. I grabbed the eurooptics deal a couple weeks ago. Worrying about less than 4 ounces on a 10 lb rifle that I carry for literally 30 seconds at a time...nope. 

53 minutes ago, Mike9250 said:

3.7 oz weight difference.  For me it wasn't worth the extra $300-$400.  

that's almost 100$ per oz. that's not to bad . I think that's cheaper than wacky  tabaccy.

15 hours ago, Mike9250 said:

3.7 oz weight difference.  For me it wasn't worth the extra $300-$400.  My competition guns aren't all that light anyway.  Where did you find the Gen2-E  for $1100?  Cheapest I've seen is around $1275

Gen2 25.2 ounces, Gen2-E 21.5 ounces, yes you are right!  There was one in classified for sale...

• 2 weeks later...

The mount came in on Friday I put it all together no lock tight.  Temp.  Untill I go to the range.  The Burris 1-5 and larue mount are great togather.  I like it so much that now I want a scope for my 11.5 barrel.  As its shorter should I stop at 1-4 and save as much as possible in weight and size? And if yes would like  some advice on that as well.  Thanks to  all for input. 

I plan to transition from practice to actual 3-gun events this year and I currently have the Lucid L7 1-6 which was by the cheapest out of all of these. Do you guys have any opinions on this one? I have only noticed some slight fisheye effect that sometimes a nuisance and seems like smaller eyebox than others when zoomed in. Should I be looking at the Steiner 4x right now to start out with or stick with this? I’m a little apprehensive about beating this scope up too much and losing my investment completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I plan to transition from practice to actual 3-gun events this year and I currently have the Lucid L7 1-6 which was by the cheapest out of all of these. Do you guys have any opinions on this one? I have only noticed some slight fisheye effect that sometimes a nuisance and seems like smaller eyebox than others when zoomed in. Should I be looking at the Steiner 4x right now to start out with or stick with this? I’m a little apprehensive about beating this scope up too much and losing my investment completely.

Definitely shoot a few matches with what you have first! I don't know anybody who has broken a scope in a dump barrel.

I wouldn't buy a new scope till you learn what you really want. 3 gun guys will let you try on the shirt they are wearing if you ask.

On 12/31/2018 at 2:59 PM, Mercs said:

I suggest you shoot for 6-12 months with the L7. While you are shooting talk to other shooters, go to safety areas and look through their scopes. I shot my first 6 months with a $400 SWFA and it worked great for me to learn what works for me.

if you shoot beyond 300 yards I also suggest that you chrono your long distance loads and compare the reticles of each scope using Strelok Pro on your phone. After you get your velocity you can see what your hold over would look like for each scope. Some of the reticles will make better holds than others.

L7 is a great scope. At this point you are better off going out and shooting what you have than working on better equipment. Based on your other posts and this one, your  rifle is more than good enough to do well in any match. Go get experience and that will inform your purchase decisions better than we will.

• 1 month later...
On 1/3/2019 at 10:28 PM, DesertTortoise said:

Definitely shoot a few matches with what you have first! I don't know anybody who has broken a scope in a dump barrel.

I wouldn't buy a new scope till you learn what you really want. 3 gun guys will let you try on the shirt they are wearing if you ask.

I have he cought the throw lever on the side and some how squished the tube. It was a vortex so they warrantied it no problem.