Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

choosing 1-6 scope help

1911vm

6 hours ago, Garmil said:

I like my Razor but still want to try out the Cmore C3 at some point.

You should, there are discount codes floating around this forum that drop it well below a Razor II purchase price. I bought one to check it out and ended up liking it better than my Razor and Mark 6 for this use. Not sure if I like it better than a K16, but you could have 2 C3s for the price of a K16.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had

Strike eagle 1-6

PA 1-6

Steiner p4xi

Steiner military 1-5

Burris xtr 1-5

Leupold vx6 1-6

Leupold Mark 6 1-6

PST gen 2 1-6

Razor 1-6

Kahles 1-6

Swaro 1-6

Swaro 1-8

Burris xtr 1-8

PA platinum 1-8

S&b exos 1-8

Currently only have the Razor

1 hour ago, Garmil said:

I've had

Strike eagle 1-6

PA 1-6

Steiner p4xi

Steiner military 1-5

Burris xtr 1-5

Leupold vx6 1-6

Leupold Mark 6 1-6

PST gen 2 1-6

Razor 1-6

Kahles 1-6

Swaro 1-6

Swaro 1-8

Burris xtr 1-8

PA platinum 1-8

S&b exos 1-8

Currently only have the Razor

Whew, that is quite the collection! I am jealous. Gen 2 Razor? Did any of them break forcing retirement or did you just replace because you kept finding better optics?

42 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

What do you think is better about the Razor than the Swaro 1-8 ?

Just performance per dollar and the warranty. I'd say the swaro is better. But for the price the razor with the benefit of not having to worry at all about breaking it.

28 minutes ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

Whew, that is quite the collection! I am jealous. Gen 2 Razor? Did any of them break forcing retirement or did you just replace because you kept finding better optics?

Yeah gen 2 razor.  Nothing broke. Just tried out everything trying to figure out what I liked best/ what was best value. 

7 hours ago, Garmil said:

the swaro is better. for the price the razor with the benefit of not having to worry at all about breaking it.

7 hours ago, Garmil said:

Yeah gen 2 razor.   was best value

So, in your experience, the Swaro is a better scope, and the Razor is a better value.

You don't need the 8x feature enough to make it worth while ?

5 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

So, in your experience, the Swaro is a better scope, and the Razor is a better value.

You don't need the 8x feature enough to make it worth while ?

Correct swaro is a Little better and a lot more expensive.

I like having 8x but I dont like the tighter eye box that comes with it.

On 8/20/2018 at 8:26 PM, L3324temp said:

I bought this scope at a major discount. Is is nearly perfect except for brightness. I would happily pay 2x MSRP if they could double the brightness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like this scope is available with a couple different FireDot reticles.  I haven't looked through these, but I do have a couple Mark AR scopes with the FireDot and they are definitely daylight-bright.  

If you have the budget of 1500, the VX-6 will beat the razor in weight by FAR, both have amazing warranties, glass is comparable, the biggest thing for me besides weight would be reticles, if you like crosshairs, you can go with Razor, if you like modern ones, VX6. Plus, you don't hear of Leupold scopes breaking all the time, little bias there ; )

The new Gen II razor is a lot more attractive now than the heavier one, I will give it that.

I have a Steiner PX4i on my main 3g rifle until i swap it for my new z8i.  Threw the z8i on my backup rifle to compare back and forth and it's really made me realize just how good the Steiner is.  Literally the only thing i'd want out of it is a bit more magnification, the 1x is awesome, fast useful reticle, clean bright center dot, and a very forgiving eyebox.  

As a fellow New England shooter there's so little real long range locally that if i wasn't going to travel to major matches with 400+ i'd simply keep the Steiner it's that good.  

John,

When i shot 3gun, I got a Strike Eagle.  It was a good entry scope.  With your price range, you can get the Razor.  It's a sweet scope.  The only complaint I've heard from guys using them is that it's heavy.

On 9/5/2018 at 8:09 PM, Timmeh said:

If you have the budget of 1500, the VX-6 will beat the razor in weight by FAR, both have amazing warranties, glass is comparable, the biggest thing for me besides weight would be reticles, if you like crosshairs, you can go with Razor, if you like modern ones, VX6. Plus, you don't hear of Leupold scopes breaking all the time, little bias there ; )

The new Gen II razor is a lot more attractive now than the heavier one, I will give it that.

How's the eyebox? I haven't been able to decide between the Leupold and Vortex, but I'm leaning towards the Vortex just for the eyebox. New version is a tad bit heavier, and I've already got a light build.

I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to the relationship with eyebox and parralax, but doesn't a bigger eyebox(move movement of your head) generally mean more parralax? I personally don't have a problem with the eyebox on any of the guns I've set up, I think getting the correct relationship between the scope position, stock position, and head position is more important!

On 7/31/2018 at 2:56 PM, 1911vm said:

I am new to 1-6 world and after reading and looking at videos for days I narrowed it down to 3. my budget is 1500max with mount.  if I am missing something please feel free to add. I like all 3 reticles. and looking for the most forgiving eye box. Thanks

PS I rarely shoot past 400 so I am sure 1-4 would work also .

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/razor-hd-gen-2-1-6x24-riflescope-with-jm-1-reticle/reticle

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/239017/leupold-vx-6-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-1-6x-24mm-multigun-custom-dial-system-cds-illuminated-cmr2-reticle-matte

http://www.eotechinc.com/precision-rifle-scopes/vudu-1-6x

also a friend of mine is telling me not waist my money and go with this

http://www.sightmark.com/product.php?item=1082

I heartily recommend the Vortex! I have a Razor HD on my 3-gun rifle and it is well worth the investment! Have a look at www.opticsplanet.com as they have really good pricing at times. 

8 minutes ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

I've never used magnified optics so I'll defer to you experts! I would love try out the the C-More C3, but I don't think I'm going to see one of those in person any time soon.

No you probably won't, the C3 isn't very common. It's entirely based on marketing failure and lack of brand recognition, not in any way because of a fault of the scope.

40 minutes ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

I've never used magnified optics so I'll defer to you experts! I would love try out the the C-More C3, but I don't think I'm going to see one of those in person any time soon.

I never held one before I bought one ether but I decided to take a chance. I'm glad I did, I think its about the best scope you can get for 3 gun. I'll take it over Razor any day.