Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

choosing 1-6 scope help

1911vm

I am new to 1-6 world and after reading and looking at videos for days I narrowed it down to 3. my budget is 1500max with mount.  if I am missing something please feel free to add. I like all 3 reticles. and looking for the most forgiving eye box. Thanks

PS I rarely shoot past 400 so I am sure 1-4 would work also .

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/razor-hd-gen-2-1-6x24-riflescope-with-jm-1-reticle/reticle

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/239017/leupold-vx-6-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-1-6x-24mm-multigun-custom-dial-system-cds-illuminated-cmr2-reticle-matte

http://www.eotechinc.com/precision-rifle-scopes/vudu-1-6x

also a friend of mine is telling me not waist my money and go with this

http://www.sightmark.com/product.php?item=1082

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go with the Vortex, high quality customer service,scopes and lifetime warranty can not be beat. I own a couple and never had an issue and if I do, I know Vortex will make it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It took a while for this to sink in for me, but I've finally come to the conclusion that you never waste money on good glass - you can only waste money on bad glass. Bottom-tier optics are actually the most expensive, because all they accomplish is adding $300-$400 to the cost of the quality optic that you eventually buy to replace it. Good glass is an investment; bad glass is a waste. So, I'd say that it's a hard pass on the Sightmark.

Among the other options that you listed, you really can't go wrong. I currently use the Vortex Razor, and I'm a fan - good glass, forgiving eye box, excellent field of view, and no distortion on 1x. Like Stuey said, the guarantee is good for piece of mind, and one thing that's really started to sway me in the direction of a lot of Vortex products in general is how supportive they are of the community and the shooting sports. That said, I've looked through a few Leupold VX-6 and VX-8s, and they're nothing to sneeze at either. Much better shooters than me swear by them. Both the Razors and the higher-end Leupolds also seem to turn up pretty frequently on the high-speed, low-drag, cool-guy rifles in combat zones, if that's something that matters to you.

No first-hand experience with the Vudu line, and I'm not sure how much of a following that they have. Thermal drift controversies aside, Eotech is a generally competent manufacturer, so I'm sure they're fine... but my two cents would be Vortex or Leupold.

Vortex Razor is an easy choice.  It has the best 1x i’ve seen.  The body of the scope virtually disappears.  It’s as close to a red dot as you can get.  I would steer you toward the MRAD reticle over the JM-1.  The MRAD gives you more options, wind holds, and you can still run it like a ballistic reticle.  

ask to look thru everyone's scopes at your next match.  that said, the vortex 1-6 is a popular choice.  i have one with the jm reticle.  unfortunately it doesn't match the ammo i'm using but with some range time i've figured out where to hold to get hits.  i also have a bushnell elite 1-6.5, think i like the vortex a little better, think the glass is clearer.

3 hours ago, 1911vm said:

well I think that Leopold may need to be taken out of my choses. it seems that is no longer offered. not sure why   

The new version is called vx6 hd something like that it’s still being made just different name and some newer features. 

Check  I out the c-more C3 scope, there is a discount code for it if you search on here $800 scope, quality glass, nice reticle

3 hours ago, HoMiE said:

The new version is called vx6 hd something like that it’s still being made just different name and some newer features. 

Check  I out the c-more C3 scope, there is a discount code for it if you search on here $800 scope, quality glass, nice reticle

I don’t need a 1-6x right now, but my brain keeps telling me to figure out a way to get this C-more before that deal goes away.  I’ll likely want one in the future and this is an amazing deal for a scope that has every indication of being a high end optic.  

4 hours ago, HoMiE said:

At the expense of sounding like a broken record or company shill I'll second this. 

I could switch from using the C3 to a Razor and never miss a beat or feel one is better than the other. They're very close except one is less expensive and lighter.

If you're trying to save $$$$, it's better to go with lower powered scope of high quality

than to try to save money on an inexpensive higher powered scope.

The low quality will hurt you more than the high power will help you.

The STANDARD right now is the Razor or C3 and with the recommendations 

above, the C3 for $800 sounds like a real bargain.

I'm just getting started, so I invested the grand sum of $300 into a nice 1-4x.

After I learn how to use that, I might decide, one day, to work up to a 1-6x.

But, for now, the 1-4x seems, to me, like a great way to get started for a

reasonable amount of money    :)  

If your max range is 300-400 yards, a 1-4x will treat you fine— and don’t rule out the Burris XTRII 1-5x.  These and other 1-4x can be picked up used in the BEnos classifieds for big savings!  Lastly don’t scimp on the mount.  Plan on at least another $100 for that. 

Also realize that going from a micro to any magnified optic, your gun is going to feel completely different than with the dot— way heavier and likely a different balance point.  If you’re already used to the Aimpoint and like the way your gun handles, I’d recommend finding a friend with a similar rifle but with a scope and asking to borrow it for a match.  If 90%+ of your matches are 230yds and under, I’d be very tempted to tell you to stick with the dot.  Maybe even consider getting a magnifier on a flip or twist mount for the <10% of the time you’ll need it. I know magnifiers aren’t ideal, but if you’re rarely using it, it’s something to consider.  I have yet to look through one, so don’t necessarily take this as a recommendation, but for awhile I was considering a .300blk build with a Primary Arms 4x or 6x magnifier on an American Defense mount.  If the optic is decent (again, this is an unanswered question for me) it would be a versatile package that wouldn’t break the bank while still allowing you to keep your rifle lightweight when the magnification is not needed.  

Edited by jkrispies

Pretty hard to go wrong with the Vortex razor. Still one of my favorite optics in the safe. Great eye box, great glass, 1x is excellent and daylight bright. ITs also very nice to know the warranty can't be beaten. 

I have no experience with the c-more so I can't offer an opinion. 

I would go CMore over the Vortex, especially if you can find one sub 1k. I switched scopes a few times before I finally ponied up for the Kahles, and now I'm a firm believer in the glass is an investment and the top tier is definitely worth it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, TalkingMonkey said:

Is there any reason to get the original Razor HD GEN II over the lighter weight "E" model?

Price.  There is not enough of a weight drop to make any noticeable difference.  If you can get a non “E” cheaper then go for it.

17 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Hard to hit something you cannot see    :) 

Much better off with a high quality 4x than a low quality 6x.

This dude gets it.

We have all gone so "power crazy" (magnification) when it is not needed in 3 gun.

If you can >clearly< put the aiming element on the target that is all you need.

More "power" (skill) in your trigger finger is the real key.

P.E. Kelley 

I am totally fine with 1-4. Also.  Just which one.  I am willing to spend money on the  Razor but if I can spend less on a 1-4 and buy more ammo to practice I am good with that. I am not a gadget guy and do not need the newest thing to be cool on the range.  

Just now, 1911vm said:

P.E. Kelley 

I am totally fine with 1-4. Also.  Just which one.  I am willing to spend money on the  Razor but if I can spend less on a 1-4 and buy more ammo to practice I am good with that. I am not a gadget guy and do not need the newest thing to be cool on the range.  

Steiner P4XI 

Like a 1-4x Razor for 1/3 the price.