Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli failure to feed

splasher

I have an HK-stamped Benelli M1, just it through an online purchase. Having trouble with feeding: first round will manually load just fine. Pull the trigger and I get the boom and that round is ejected. That's when the trouble starts. The next round in the mag tube won't exit the tube out onto the lifter unless I push the silver release just ahead of the trigger guard. I shouldn't have to do this every round. 

Benelli suggested I look at the hammer spring and cap which I did...all move freely. Any suggestions?

Thanks

It could be assembled wrong. Two things to check, pull out the trigger housing and make sure that the hollow pin that hold the lifter on and the hammer in has the end with the D Ring on the side that has the lifter spring, and NOT on the side that has the shell release! 

Next while reassembling make sure you push the bolt release button in nice and firmly BEFORE putting the trigger housing back in. Keep holding it in untill the trigger housing is seated! 

While you have the housing out, make sure the shell release lever has a tab of metal that sticks out over the hammer plunger, this is what actuates the shell release lever when you pull the trigger.

Looking into the loading port, I see that the front end of the release lever is inboard of the shell latch. In other words, it's not between the latch and receiver wall. Pretty sure that's correct. I'm thinking that if the release tab that rides on the hammer spring cap is worn thin or bent upwards a skosh, it won't raise far enough to trip the shell latch open. The hollow pin is inserted correctly. 

The seller is sending a complete new trigger group for me to drop in, so I'll see if that's the cure 

It needs to be between the receiver wall and the latch. Pull it apart, hold the bolt release button down HARD while reinstalling the trigger group. !!! It has been assembled wrong. Happens when folks don't know to hold the bolt release button in while reassembling. 

Kurt,

He mentioned that he can trip the Cartridge Drop Lever manually and shells will exit the tube. If assembled incorrectly (which happens frequently) it would not feed any shells from the tube would it?

9 hours ago, kurtm said:

It needs to be between the receiver wall and the latch. Pull it apart, hold the bolt release button down HARD while reinstalling the trigger group. !!! It has been assembled wrong. Happens when folks don't know to hold the bolt release button in while reassembling. 

Well there's no way it'll go between the shell latch and the receiver. First, the shell latch has an offset into a slot in the receiver and the release lever won't physically fit in there. Even if it did, it couldn't pivot up and down due to being trapped in the slot due to it's own offset where it overlaps the latch lever. 

Second, pushing in on the latch button pivots the back end of the latch out into the loading port such that the release lever hits it and won't go into place. The only way the trigger group goes back in place is if the back end of the shell latch is retracted into the slot to clear the release lever. I tried to do it the other way and it just won't fit. The headed pin is also correctly installed-you can easily see the recess for the rim of the hollow pin.

The release lever is already being pushed up far enough that it hits the bottom stop on the housing, so it can't be lack of movement on the release lever.

HELP!!

Can you post a video?

Make sure the gun's chamber is empty. Cycle the bolt to cock the hammer. Load a shell in the mag tube. With the gun pointed in a safe direction (yeah its unloaded, but we aint taking chances) pull the trigger to let the hammer fall and lets see what happens with the cartridge drop lever.

Only other things I can think of is the spring at the back of the she'll latch is broken, weak, not in the propper place. The other thing it could be the roll pin that holds the shell release lever is broken. Quick check is to see if it wobbles  in and out of the reciever it the top or bottom where the pin goes through.

Edited by kurtm

1 hour ago, GunCat said:

Can you post a video?

Make sure the gun's chamber is empty. Cycle the bolt to cock the hammer. Load a shell in the mag tube. With the gun pointed in a safe direction (yeah its unloaded, but we aint taking chances) pull the trigger to let the hammer fall and lets see what happens with the cartridge drop lever.

Already did this a hundred times. Lever moves a hair but does not activate the latch until I push it up. When I work the bolt, the chambered shell is ejected but the tubed round dies not move out onto the lifter. I can hack the bolt back and forth but that round stays in the tube cuz the latch isn't moving.

50 minutes ago, kurtm said:

Only other things I can think of is the spring at the back of the she'll latch is broken, weak, not in the propper place. The other thing it could be the roll pin that holds the shell release lever is broken. Quick check is to see if it wobbles  in and out of the reciever it the top or bottom where the pin goes through.

That spring is captured in a pocket inside the slot, it's not broken, and that button is firm to push in so I don't think it's weak. The roll out isn't broken or bent.  The latch doesn't wobble, flio around or anything it shouldn't.

1 hour ago, GunCat said:

Can you post a video?

I'd post a video if I knew how. New in here, so not familiar with that.

At this point its hard to tell without the gun in hand. Try that new trigger group and let us know.

Being a HK M1 the original could have some wear given the guns age. We once had in a HK SBE with enough wear in the aluminum trigger group that the hammer spring cap was occasionally get past the tab on the drop lever. (That gun exhibited A LOT of wear and use all over)