Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock --> 2011

farinx

I'm interested in switching from a Glock to a 2011 for 3 gun but don't know a lot about them.  I've shot some Para widebody 1911's,  STI DVC limited 9mm , and a STI DVC 3 gun and I have liked them all so far, but the DVC Limited dipped a bit more during recoil than the others since it seems more front heavy.  I'm tempted to  go with a DVC 3 gun, since they are readily available but I've heard that sometimes STI's dont run well out of the box.   My budget is ~3k.  What brands/makers should I look into?   So far I've looked into CK Arms and Warwick Tactical.  

I don't really care about what the finish on the gun looks like, but will an Ion bonded coating help the gun last a lot longer than nitriding? 

I was walking down the same road and ended up getting the Ck Arms.  I couldn't afford an atlas or other full custom gun.   I bought the "solution" and had them upgrade the trigger.  The action is smooth and after buying a few MBX mags this gun has not malfunctioned once.  An added perk is you can send it back to Bobby and have the upgrades done as you want.  Bobby's customer service is also top notch.  You have alot of options though in your price range.    

Make sure to budget for magazines as well, because they are expensive.  Also if it's dipping more, it's probably over sprung for the ammo or your grip is not strong enough.  The other two guns you mentioned had short dustcovers, but the frame doesn't cycle and therefore will not make the gun "dip" if it's front heavy.  There are other disadvantages but a heavier front end won't do what you described.  I can't think of any top shooters (maybe Travis Tomasie) who doesn't use a full length dust cover.

5 hours ago, farinx said:

.... I've heard that sometimes STI's dont run well out of the box. 

I shoot with two guys that just got brand new STI DVC Open pistols a few months ago...Both had problems out of the box...One is working now (most of the time) the other one still has a ways to go.

Edited by kps9999

What don't you like about the glock and what model are you shooting?  I cant believe i am typing this, but my inclination is to say just shoot the glock and maybe put a weigh/trigger/etc on it if you haven't already

4 hours ago, farinx said:

Did you have the trigger upgraded to the EGW ?  

I really like this one:

https://oakhillguns.com/pistol/ck-arms/ck-arms-thunder-series-limited-9mm-2328.html

Yes that’s what I upgraded to.  I couldn’t be happier right now.  It pulls just over 2 lbs with hardly any creep and nil on reset.  

1 hour ago, bluedevil008 said:

Make sure to budget for magazines as well, because they are expensive.  Also if it's dipping more, it's probably over sprung for the ammo or your grip is not strong enough.  The other two guns you mentioned had short dustcovers, but the frame doesn't cycle and therefore will not make the gun "dip" if it's front heavy.  There are other disadvantages but a heavier front end won't do what you described.  I can't think of any top shooters (maybe Travis Tomasie) who doesn't use a full length dust cover.

So a long dustcover is the way to go? What about 5 vs 5.5" ?

1 hour ago, RJH said:

What don't you like about the glock and what model are you shooting?  I cant believe i am typing this, but my inclination is to say just shoot the glock and maybe put a weigh/trigger/etc on it if you haven't already

The glock i'm shooting now is a 34, gen 4 with a Johny Glocks trigger and dawson sights.  I've been shooting it for about 2.5 years now and liked it a ton until I started trying 2011s.   The triggers on 2011s are so much better and without even practicing with the 2011s I shoot quite a bit better.  

13 hours ago, farinx said:

So a long dustcover is the way to go? What about 5 vs 5.5" ?

It's all personal preferences but most people find that long dustcovers more preferable.   Slide length just depends.  They will cycle slightly different, Some people like the extra sight radius, but it's also more cyclical mass out front.  I would recommend trying to shoot a few more before making a decision.  That said, little things like that aren't going to matter much in the long run.  Shane Coley won Nats with a Glock, so it's all about training with what you've got it.

14 hours ago, Pcew73 said:

Yes that’s what I upgraded to.  I couldn’t be happier right now.  It pulls just over 2 lbs with hardly any creep and nil on reset.  

Which version did you get? Short or long dustcover? 5 or 5.5"?  Thunder or Hardcore?

i got the Limited with full dust cover in 5".  Here is the link to the exact pistol I got.  You can go in an upgrade anything in the drop down boxes.  Id give Bobby a call and talk it over with him.  He is super helpful and will let you know right away what he has.  

https://freedomgunworks.com/store/limited-guns/ck-arms-9mm-limited-handgun-cka-1066.html

16 hours ago, kps9999 said:

I shoot with two guys that just got brand new STI DVC Open pistols a few months ago...Both had problems out of the box...One is working now (most of the time) the other one still has a ways to go.

I will say I have seen many more problems out of their open guns then the limited guns in my experience and opinion....but there have definitely been problems. I know Dawson is back. I also know some others they have hired to reverse the QC issues and I bet it will come back..soon I hope.

I'm currently waiting on a build from Warwick Tactical.  The price and styling was right (I didn't like the look of those massive cuts in the CK "Solution").  I was hesitant to go with them at first because my only real experience with them was two guys I shot with once or twice, and there isn't too much about them online, but I went to their shop, talked with their smith, and was really impressed with them. 

I'm sitting a little under $3,000 for the gun (I went with the rail upgrade), and 3 extra magazines. 

I currently shoot a ~10 year old CRP Edge and I love it.  I don't have a lot of trigger time with limited-division glocks, but so far this gun is everything I could ask for, at a fraction of the cost of a full or semi-custom gun.  I've got a bunch of friends with guns from Atlas, and the guns are fantastic.  But, as a new limited shooter, I am pretty content with my STI for the time being.

29 minutes ago, Tubadude said:

I'm currently waiting on a build from Warwick Tactical.  The price and styling was right (I didn't like the look of those massive cuts in the CK "Solution").  I was hesitant to go with them at first because my only real experience with them was two guys I shot with once or twice, and there isn't too much about them online, but I went to their shop, talked with their smith, and was really impressed with them. 

I'm sitting a little under $3,000 for the gun (I went with the rail upgrade), and 3 extra magazines. 

What’s the wait time on a Warwick tactical ?  How much extra is the rail upgrade ?

9 hours ago, Pcew73 said:

i got the Limited with full dust cover in 5".  Here is the link to the exact pistol I got.  You can go in an upgrade anything in the drop down boxes.  Id give Bobby a call and talk it over with him.  He is super helpful and will let you know right away what he has.  

https://freedomgunworks.com/store/limited-guns/ck-arms-9mm-limited-handgun-cka-1066.html

How picky is it with ammo? What ammo are you using ? What mags are you using ?

not picky with ammo at all.  Im using federal 115 gr ball with new MBX 140's.  Ive shot Peak Performance 124gr, Armscor 124gr, and haven't had a misfeed, malfunction, jam or anything in 2500+ rounds.