Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many clubs/ranges are you a member of?

CTJer

5 hours ago, xSTONESx said:

7min from house = $55 per year and volunteering 10 hours

uspsa practice range= $200 per year

400 rifle range = $30 per year 

That’s fantastic.  

4 hours ago, koteris said:

Two. 

The first is an indoor range 5 minutes from my house.  Kind of expensive, but very convenient.  Lane shooting only.  50' max. No drawing allowed.

The second is a nice outdoor range 20 minutes from my house.  Inexpensive but single shot, slow rate of fire, etc...

I am going to try and quit both and put the money into a membership somewhere with action bays.

Yeah, hopefully you have a good range somewhere close enough to utilize.  

• 8 months later...

Total of three ranges here.

Outdoor range with lots of steel available and rifle to 200 yards.  Remote enough that I often have the entire range to myself.  Allows shooting from holster and movement.  They are also big on Class III toys.  (Owner has a 45-70 Gatling gun he brings out for select cowboy matches and range open house.)  Single membership $220 annually (family $340).  Non-USPSA range less than 25 minutes from the house is accessible only when dirt road is dry.  They host a monthly cowboy match and an outlaw steel match.

Member at one indoor range (about 45 minutes from the house).  Only used during their weekly USPSA match.  Membership gives match fee discount which pays out in four matches.

Also member at an outdoor range for the same reason.  Discount match fees.

I only pay dues to one but it's $35 a year, halfway between home and work (15 min each direction), there's hardly anyone there, and I can do 95% of what I need to do with a pistol.

The closest club to me that has real pistol pits is 35 min from home, an hour from work and $200 a year.  Still deciding if the juice is worth the squeeze on that one.

I used to belong to more clubs around here but dropped them over the years as I found better alternatives or got tired of their bulls#!t rules.

Edited by elguapo

1 overpriced range, working on 2 others to take its place that have action pistol bays and indoor ranges.

1st range - $480/yr Indoor only, 30 lanes, must be draw certified(I am), nothing above a double tap. Online reservations, clean, staffed, gunsmiths/ROs are nice. (I get yelled at for Bill Drills here) - (20 miles, 30-40 min drive)

2nd - $100/yr + 4 hr volunteer once(but you can shoot the match for free) - So many perks, if you ever volunteer to set up a match, your first gun is free. 9 action pistol bays (varying sizes), 7/12/25yd outdoor pistol bays, 12 lane indoor range, 300yd rifle range, 70 target steel pistol range, skeet, trap, and other goodies - (13 miles, 30-45 min drive)

3rd - $100/yr - 10 Action bays, 7/12/25yd outdoor pistol bays, 250yd Rifle, 15 lane indoor pistol range, skeet, trap. - 40 miles (1hr drive)

Edited by nick779

1 hour ago, nick779 said:

2nd - $100/yr + 4 hr volunteer once(but you can shoot the match for free) - So many perks, if you ever volunteer to set up a match, your first gun is free. 9 action pistol bays (varying sizes), 12 lane indoor range, 300yd rifle range, 70 target steel pistol range, skeet, trap, and other goodies - (13 miles, 30-45 min drive)

That place sounds great but that drive, holy s#!t......is there a stop light every 100 yards?  That's a 20 mph average.

It would drive me insane.

Edited by elguapo

22 minutes ago, elguapo said:

That place sounds great but that drive, holy s#!t......is there a stop light every 100 yards?  That's a 20 mph average.

It easily takes me 30 minutes to drive less than 10 miles around here. 

1 hour ago, elguapo said:

6 miles of city streets, 7 miles of back roads. At rush hour, its easily an hour drive. 

• 1 month later...

As of today, three. One primary about 40 min drive plus two others 2+ hr drive where I shoot USPSA regularly. I like the idea of supporting the places that host the matches I enjoy, and actually come out a little ahead on match fees at one of them.