Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RL550B questions

I've been loading on this RL550B for about 10 years now, and just had two strange things happen.  

First (and this is pretty minor), I'll typically load the same thing for a while (right now, its 147gr H&S 9mm).  Each session, when I'm done, I empty the powder measure by dumping it back into the jug and manually cycling the powder bar a couple of times to make sure it's really empty.  At the start of a new session, I'll fill the hopper, give it a few taps at the top with the funnel I use, then cycle the handle around 10 times before filling 5 "powder measuring cases" to be weighed to check my powder bar calibration.  If nothing has changed (same load, same powder, nobody's messed with the press in my absence), I shouldn't have to adjust anything...but I still check calibration...and sometimes I find it's drifted.  Today it was averaging 3.16gr Promo instead of the desired 3.26gr.  So, I turned the adjustment just a bit, and got it back to 3.26gr.  I realize I could be touching/changing the powder bar adjustment when I empty the hopper, but I really don't think I am.

Second (much bigger issue), about 50rds into loading this evening, the primer slide stopped picking up primers.  On closer examination, the primer cup was binding on the magazine housing.  I loosened things, trying to readjust it, and found I couldn't fix it by just adjusting the primer housing positioning.  So I removed the housing and the slide, put them together in my hands, and found it just wouldn't fit.  Apparently, the primer seating cup was canted.  It took a couple of tries disassembling/reassembling the primer slide to get it back together such that it would enter the housing without touching the side of the housing.  To me, it actually still looks just a little canted, but apparently not enough to interfere.

Edited by njl

When you dump the powder back into the hopper during a new loading session, my guess is the powder has not settled completely yet, or it has picked up the tiniest bit of moisture in the extremely wet summer we are having and swollen the particles. Fill 10 cases instead of 5 and weigh them. As to the primer cup, it could have gotten caught on a piece of crimped brass and caused the cup to go off kilter.

Ah...there was some military headstamp brass in those first 50, and at least one that had apparently not had the crimp removed.  i.e. I could feel seating the primer was much rougher than normal.  I stop when that happens, check the case head, and make sure the primer really is fully seated, before charging such a case.

I used to do 10 cases (the math is easier), but cut back to 5 years ago. :)

If you are like me and loading every week, which I do. Usually 300-500 rounds per session.   I don't do anything. I get the quantity of rounds I want, flip off the power and walk away.  (650 with Mr. BF and CF)  I think you may be overthinking your situation.   I never let the powder hopper drop below 1/3.  I have a baffle installed also.  There is something to what the GrumpyOne was saying about the powder picking up moisture.  Also, remember, the measure works off of volume, not weight.  So when you dump the powder and re-fill later you are "bulking" it up.  

By "bulking it up", I assume you mean each time powder is poured into the hopper and then back into the jug, it could be getting "pulverized" and made more dense.  If that was going on, I'd be reading heavier, not lighter on "same volume" charges from one session to the next.  I've always thought it was "best practice" to not leave powder in the hopper long term (because in the unsealed hopper it can pick up moisture from the environment, and because it's much easier to lose track of what powder is in the hopper if it was poured in days/weeks ago), so I've always filled the hopper when I'm going to load, and poured it back into the bottle/jug when I'm done (unless I'm just taking a short break and know I'll be loading more the same day).

Sorry, quite the opposite.  I believe the powder is becoming less dense when you pour it into the hopper.  Think of the disclaimer on a bag of chips.  "Contents settle....sold by weight"  I think you will find your powder charge will increase slightly as the powder settles in the hopper.  Of course this is very dependent on the type of powder. 

I always label my hopper with powder and charge weight.   

I guess I have a bad practice.  But I just don't empty my hoppers.  While I mostly load weekly, sometimes it may be 2 or 3 weeks.  If I was going away for a month or so, yes I cycle everything out.  It has just never been an issue.  I live in a very humid environment, but the reloading stuff has always been in a client controlled environment. 

The only true thing by leaving the powder in the funnel is discoloration of the plastic tube.  Otherwise, it doesn't hurt to leave powder in the hopper. If the discoloration after a few years gets real bad, give Dillon a call and they will send you a new one "gratis" (bet you didn't know that bit of information). 

I think the less a person does with the powder and measure the better off he is.  Taking powder out of the hopper is not necessary.  I really hate to admit this but I used to empty mine until I was having all kinds of problems.  Found a 200 gr. bullet on the bottom of my powder measure.  How the hell it got there is beyond me.  Needless to say I keep it full and covered when I'm finished.