Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg 930 not going into battery

Hi, I purchased a new old stock 930 and I have been having a lot of feeding issues with it. Simply inserting a shell and releasing the bolt will cause the shell the hang up on the bottom of the chamber halfway in and not go into battery. This happens more than 50% of the time. When shooting the gun this happens also even with 1350 fps Winchester ammo. It seems to happen even worse as the chamber gets hot. For instance I can take a cold gun, fire 3 shots and it may cycle fine. However if I run another 3 quickly or run a whole tube (13) through the gun by shot 5-6 I have to shove the bolt forward every single shot to get the shell in the chamber. Gun has been cleaned and lubed. It has about 100 rounds through it. Should I call Mossberg? Does the chamber need throated? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Could be a sharp edge at mouth of chamber or a rough surface inside chamber. With the barrel out you can determine which is the culprit, or could be both.

I have a JM930 and smoothed the chamber mouth and chamber but it's up to you. Sending it back to Mossberg might be more money than fixing it yourself. Check the long JM930 thread for more potential issues and solutions related to it.

Mark

• 1 month later...

It's not the chamber. Swapped the entire barrel / chamber with another known good 930 and same problems. Wont always go into battery. Happens both during live fire, and just simply releasing the bolt to load the gun. I've ran like 300 rounds of all kinds of ammo through it 90% of which was higher velocity stuff like Remington Nitros or AA 1300s.

I really need to call Mossberg and see what they say.

My first thought as well was the chamber needs polished, but with another barrel in play there are other places to look.

Is your piston fully returning? Have you taken the rings off and cleaned them separate from the piston? If the piston doesn't return fully it will appear in battery, but the the bolt won't lock and you will get a click when you pull the trigger. How far from battery is it hanging up? Any pictures?

Pull the trigger group (2 pins) and run the bolt back and forth to feel for any points that drag. With a high enough round count a rough recoil spring end can be chewing at your plunger, causing it to drag. When you have the trigger group out you can check the condition of the bolt/slide and see any abnormal wear points. Again, pictures.

Do you have a speed-loading bracket or side-saddle on the gun (attached through the trigger group pins)? These are common ways to bind up the receiver enough to slow the bolt down and affect cycling.

• 2 weeks later...
Try changing up you ammo. I noticed with cheap ammo the top of the haul would mushroom in the mag tube and cause issues feeding.

It's not the ammo. I've tried lots of different ammo several of which are hot like Nitros etc all of which runs fine in 2 other 930s. The issue happenes even just loading the gun / releasing the bolt. I've tried an entire different barrel /gas system off a working 930 and same problem. It's going back to Mossberg. Already called them just need to do the paperwork and send it in.

14 minutes ago, achalmersman said:

It's not the ammo. I've tried lots of different ammo several of which are hot like Nitros etc all of which runs fine in 2 other 930s. The issue happenes even just loading the gun / releasing the bolt. I've tried an entire different barrel /gas system off a working 930 and same problem. It's going back to Mossberg. Already called them just need to do the paperwork and send it in.

Good call. Please post what they find.