Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unload Show Clear?

ilovevtac

Hey Guys, 

Newbie question here but once you're done with a course of fire you're supposed to unload and show clear. 

The particular problem I'm running into with my open gun is that it is a pain in the ass to rack the slide back (using the racker) to unload the firearm. Like it will NOT come out, spent a good 5+ mins trying to get it out the other at a match. Firearm functions perfectly (probably has to do something with the tight chamber + ammo combination)

Would it be an issue if I remove the magazine and SAFELY shoot the chambered round into the backstop/dirt etc. and then proceed to show the RSO that the firearm is clear? Or is that frowned upon.

Thanks!

You have some sort of load issue if you're slide can't be racked by hand.  Only time I've ever experienced that is when I made some loads too long and the bullet was in the rifling.  Eventually you'll pull a bullet out of the case and you'll have a bullet in the rifling and powder all over the inside of your gun.

It can be done the way you describe but you need to let the RO know what you need to do and make sure the time is recorded before you shoot the bullet out.  I'd figure out the problem with your loads before I made your way of doing it a normal thing.

11 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

You have some sort of load issue if you're slide can't be racked by hand.  Only time I've ever experienced that is when I made some loads too long and the bullet was in the rifling.  Eventually you'll pull a bullet out of the case and you'll have a bullet in the rifling and powder all over the inside of your gun.

It can be done the way you describe but you need to let the RO know what you need to do and make sure the time is recorded before you shoot the bullet out.  I'd figure out the problem with your loads before I made your way of doing it a normal thing.

Same here.   Locked the gun up halfway through a stage, and I sat there for what felt like 5 minutes trying to clear it. 

Plunk test would help diagnose the issue.  Could be as simple as loading the ammo a bit shorter.

Take the barrel out of the gun and "plunk" test some rounds. If the round doesn't spin when fully seated you have an OAL/Chamber problem. Paint the bullet with magic marker or something to see where it is touching the barrel. You really out to figure that out before you shoot the gun again!

36 minutes ago, ilovevtac said:

Hey Guys, 

Newbie question here but once you're done with a course of fire you're supposed to unload and show clear. 

The particular problem I'm running into with my open gun is that it is a pain in the ass to rack the slide back (using the racker) to unload the firearm. Like it will NOT come out, spent a good 5+ mins trying to get it out the other at a match. Firearm functions perfectly (probably has to do something with the tight chamber + ammo combination)

Would it be an issue if I remove the magazine and SAFELY shoot the chambered round into the backstop/dirt etc. and then proceed to show the RSO that the firearm is clear? Or is that frowned upon.

Thanks!

Yeah, don't do that.  lol

When you're done, you stop shooting, so stop shooting.  Methinks that last shot will be recorded as the one that ends your COF time, and your HF will go down.

As an RO (or a fellow competitor) I'd be worried that your gun is malfunctioning and unsafe.  If you're loading long and pressing bullets into the barrel leade, you're likely creating an overpressure situation.  

So just fix the gun/ammo and get back to normal shooting  ?

Fix your ammo. If it is somehow not the ammo fix your gun.

I have had a long round stick in the rifling and the RO asked after about 30 seconds of me beating on the gun if it'd shoot out, he gave me the ok to fire it into the berm.Then told me to fix my junk.

If you wait for the ULSC I suggest you clear any shooting with the RO. Do not show up for a match with equipment you know doesn't work, it's rude at a minimum.

2 hours ago, Gary Stevens said:

To the original question, ask the RO, they record time, receive permission from RO, shoot gun into backstop, show clear, etc.

Then fix ammo issue.

Agreed. this is not a big issue if it happens from time to time. but it's dumb if it happens every stage, or multiple times per match. fix yer shiznit yo.

To answer your original question, I would talk to the MD at the match.  Ask him his opinion on shooting out the last round.  If he/she agrees, I would tell the RO.

On a side note, You need to fix the ammo issue.

If I’m the RO, and you don’t tell me first, then your extra shot is absolutely counting for your time and scoring purposes. 

If you tell me you’re going to do it, and I OK it and record the time, then go for it. Once. 

The second time it happens in the same match, we’re going to have a chat with the RM (or MD if they’re the same person) about it, and you and they can decide together whether we’re going to keep doing that or have you switch guns.

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Bighpmaa said:

Seems to be the concensus that letting the competitor fire the last shot into the berm is ok. If so...what rule allows this?

what rule disallows it?

In steel challenge, there is a very specific rule allowing it, but I personally don't think that's necessary. The rule *is* very clear in stating that under no circumstances may a competitor leave the line with a loaded weapon, so you may have to be creative in order to get it unloaded if the gun is balky, broken, or whatever.

Edited by motosapiens

The same happened to me at practice. Could not rack the side. The RO got it racked but left the bullet in the barrel and gun power all over the internals. A post here and a dozen or so answers and now my OAL is spot on as well as my plunk test. As was already stated fix your ammo and you’ll be all set.