Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting disabled vets in the sport

I dont hate it but I definitely think the sport is lacking programs that help disabled vets get involved in the shooting community. I feel like this gives these individuals the opportunity to be around like minded people. How cool would it be for sponsors to step up and provide ammo, a range, gear, etc... for these people to go out for a weekend and be taught how to shoot???

WOW  !!!!

Best idea I've heard here, in a LONG TIME    :cheers:

Don't know why disabled cannot be a separate category -

Limited, Open, Production and Disabled (not just vets).

We get postings here all the time about our own USPSA

shooters who have become disabled - be great to get

them back in the saddle, too.

Same COF and all the same rules, except for the movement.

FULL SUPPORT for that idea - let the dream roll forward    :wub:

4 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

WOW  !!!!

Best idea I've heard here, in a LONG TIME    :cheers:

Don't know why disabled cannot be a separate category -

Limited, Open, Production and Disabled (not just vets).

We get postings here all the time about our own USPSA

shooters who have become disabled - be great to get

them back in the saddle, too.

Same COF and all the same rules, except for the movement.

FULL SUPPORT for that idea - let the dream roll forward    :wub:

I would love to, hopefully soon I will be put in a situation where I can give something back. I dont dont have the means to purchase everything. If there are any people who work with these types of companys and could offer up advise on how to approach them for some type of backing please message me 

Matter of fact, I'd also add in Super Super Seniors  (SSS's)  (75+ YEARS OLD).

Yeah, I know, but I'll be there fairly soon - and feel like I might need

a headstart when I get to 75.

Wonder if you could just get MD's to include a new set of rules and

scoring for disabled and SSS's ?

6 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Corbin,

I am going to be co-RM'ing a match this fall that will be a charity event for the WAVES project. Thye are an organization that teaches disabled vets how to scuba dive. You may want to contact them to find out how they got their start. It could help!

Later,

Chuck

https://www.wavesproject.org/

Thanks Chuck I will have to contact them soon and see what they have to say

No need for new rules...

10.2.10 Special penalty: A competitor unable to fully execute any part of a course of fire due to incapacity or injury may, prior to making his attempt at the course of fire, request that the Range Master apply a penalty in lieu of the stated course requirement.

10.2.10.1 Exception – In a weak hand/strong hand stage, a competitor who has physical use of only one hand may use the same hand for both weak and strong without penalty.

10.2.10.2 If the request is approved by the Range Master, a minimum of one procedural penalty, up to a maximum penalty of 20% of the competitor’s points “as shot” (rounded up to the nearest whole number), will be deducted from the competitor’s score. For example, if 100 points are available in the course of fire and the competitor actually scores 90 points, the special penalty is a deduction of 18 points. The Range Master may waive any or all procedural penalties in respect of a competitor who has a significant physical disability prior to the competitor making his attempt at the course of fire.

There's so many kinds of disability. Creating one category would not equalize all anyway. ... and what kind of numbers could you expect to enter a particular contest? Enough to make sense for scoring as a category?

10.2.10  rules should do it, from the competition/scoring point of view.

Personally, if I'm the RO or CRO and a disabled vet is running the course, I don't apply any procedurals, I know I'm supposed to but I figure they've beat the odds getting back to shooting that I don't want to apply any additional penalty. It's not like they're going to be a factor in the end result anyway. They just want to participate. I got flak from a MD one time and told him to give me the procedural. It was the least I could do. (BTW, I'm a handicapped vet and don't often take advantage of preferential treatment. I plan the stage so the prone position (if there is one) is last, that way all my squad mates can lift me back to vertical ?)

1 hour ago, Bkreutz said:

if I'm the RO and a disabled vet is running the course, I don't apply any procedurals

You, Sir, are a credit to the spirit of the game    :cheers:

Time for us to stop interpreting rules as "gotta be" and start

helping out with some problem areas, so others can enjoy

competitive shooting.

Anything we can do to increase the enjoyment of people

who like to shoot is a Solid Plus, IMHO    ?

I like "The Range Master may waive any or all procedural penalties in respect of a competitor who has a significant physical disability prior to the competitor making his attempt at the course of fire."

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

competitive shooting.

That can be a slippery slope.

I think this is going in a different direction than I had planned. I'm not concerned about the rules. Teaching the proper safety yes. Having a good time yes getting these individuals involved in the sport letting them have fun, a way to connect with these people and a small token of appreciation for there sacrifices for this great nation

12 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Matter of fact, I'd also add in Super Super Seniors  (SSS's)  (75+ YEARS OLD).

Yeah, I know, but I'll be there fairly soon - and feel like I might need

a headstart when I get to 75.

Wonder if you could just get MD's to include a new set of rules and

scoring for disabled and SSS's ?

I'd certainly be for the SSS designation as I'm now 78 and not as quick as when I was merely an SS !   :roflol::roflol::roflol:

When we run local matches we modify COF as necessary for a couple of shooters that are in wheel chairs. Remove shooting box and drop window barriers as needed. It's no big deal, no one is competing for a Corvette...

Edited by kps9999

A lot of good discussion here but I did hear from the OP. He said this: " I Was hoping for recommendations on where to begin to get this idea to a full blown nonprofit. "

So, if anybody has any ideas to help Corbin on this worthwhile effort, please post them!

Thanks,

Chuck

On 7/29/2018 at 1:15 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

You, Sir, are a credit to the spirit of the game    :cheers:

competitive shooting.

Anything we can do to increase the enjoyment of people

who like to shoot is a Solid Plus, IMHO    ?

20 hours ago, Sarge said:

That can be a slippery slope.

It can be an extremely slippery slope. Rules are rules for a reason.

Where do you draw the line if you start making exceptions? Getting more people to shoot on the expense of safety for example, is definitely not the way to go. I'm all in for a physical disability category (not division like Jack wrote earlier), or RD/MD having more room for judgement for disabled competitors.

I know I am going to be put on Jack's "rules side of people", but I don't really care.

2 hours ago, Janskis said:

I know I am going to be put on Jack's "rules side of people", but I don't really care.

I've started a "LIST" of "Rules side people"    ?

You're correct - it is a "slippery slope", but I think we have

quite a bit of leeway at Local matches.   

LOVE  your idea of having the local RO with more flexibility/leeway

to help out our disadvantaged       :wub:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

I’m not sure this will explode in our game but how in the world could we ever keep squads on schedule if there was a full squad or two of disabled shooters?

Also, there are so many levels and types of disabilities it would be impossible to maintain competitive equity. For instance I am a disabled veteran but not for anything that limits my mobility. In theory a guy like me could qualify as disabled and possibly clean up every match.