Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip tape keeps coming off

polymerfeelsweirdman

I have used ones that come in two pieces, one wraps around the front and then one around the back.  Bought them 4-5 years ago as a three pack and they are still on the gun and gtg!  Anyone know if he is still making them??  I lost the package......

T

Edited by Tattoo

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
14 hours ago, GlockCanMan said:

I just cut up an old bicycle innertube and slip it over the grip.  It is thin, and in the 100 degree summer my sweaty hands still hold the grip without slipping. 

Amen. See my post from August 1st, page 2 of this thread. Use the  Hogue Handall universal  grip sleeve

I used Talon's for several years and loved them! That is until I got serious about dry fire and gripping the gun hard. Seemed that they didn't last that long and at $17 a pop I decided to try skateboard tape. Bought a $6 roll/sheet which I have cut numerous sets of grips out of. In Louisiana and I probably change it out 3-4x per year.

4 hours ago, B_RAD said:

Nothing (tape) is going to work if you grip hard.  

Anyone saying otherwise doesn't. 

Silcon Carbide is what you want. 

Why won’t an inexpensive rubber grip sleeve like the Hogue Handall or a Pachmayr work? They are an inexpensive approach to try that leaves the grip in original condition.

2 minutes ago, Paul49 said:

Why won’t an inexpensive rubber grip sleeve like the Hogue Handall or a Pachmayr work? They are an inexpensive approach to try that leaves the grip in original condition.

That may work. Never tried that. I prefer agressive texture that will not move. 

I peel skin off my support hand after a good day of practice. I like aggressive.  

I would think sweaty hands and rubber would equal slippery?  Maybe not. 

Also, I want to be able to get my support hand palm up high and get as much traction as possible. See circled area.  That area is the most important area for me.  

Screenshot_20190107-190428_Gallery.jpg

Edited by B_RAD

I started with Talon grips that kept coming off with a tight grip in the alabama summer heat. I started cutting strips of skateboard tape and placing them strategically on the grip. When they started to come off I just replaced them.  Since it wasn't one large piece it was more durable. 

39 minutes ago, Derdang said:

My Silicon Carbide job on my G34 Gen5. I got tired of the  grip tape not sticking.

3B10C8A0-2473-492D-ACAF-9E7CC45FBB6E.jpeg

That looks much better than most i have seen. How has it held up? Do sweaty hands affect it in any way?

I had to shoot a match which was raining really hard. I was extremely pleased with how much grip that I had so sweat wouldn’t be a problem. 

The Silicone Carbide I used isn’t that coarse and still had a lot of grip. The pic is my other 34 Gen 4 which I have taken the Carbide off numerous times because I keep tinkering with new stuff. I just stripped it to try to add weight for a carry optics gun.  

Silicone Carbide is very easy to apply if you use the right tools and method. It last longer than grip tape and can be replaced or modified.

Its grey in the pic due to the dust.

A858F8D2-5858-4576-A06A-541ADC9638C7.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Adamj said:

That looks much better than most i have seen. How has it held up? Do sweaty hands affect it in any way?

It is the most durable option. Also the grippiest.

A better look at my last one. With a focus purely in function and not on being pretty? Still looks rather clean.

On 7/28/2018 at 7:56 PM, Swanny10 said:

I make my own out of 3M tape. They haven’t budged in a few years. In fact the tape has gotten smooth enough I need to replace it probably. 

Best I can say Is be diligent in your surface prep. Degrease degrease degrease and then degrease some more. And heat up the tape with a heat gun to make sure the glue completely activated.  

This^

prep well, and heat up tape and smooth it out while it’s hot. I have some talon aggressive texture grips on my g34 that won’t come off now. It’s stuck. 

Agreed in that prepping the surface makes all the difference. I clean the surface, wipe with alcohol, apply the tape,  heat it with my wife's hair dryer, and then squeeze the heck out of it. It stays longer,  but with constant dry fire and live fire in the heat it's only a matter of time.