Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip tape keeps coming off

polymerfeelsweirdman

8 minutes ago, Snausages32 said:

Just to add to the pile...  I use Talon Grips, and love them.  In 2  years, they haven't shifted a millimeter.  Like many said, be sure you clean the crap out of the application area with alcohol wipes.  The Talon Grip instructions said to set in place, use a hairdryer to heat it up, and then make sure it is where you want it.  If done right, it won't shift.

Same here.  I've used Talons in Florida since they first came out and never had a problem with the grip shifting or peeling.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, tact said:

My grip is fine and I have a pretty good understanding what constitutes a good grip. Since you have such a powerful grip tape destroying death grip you might not need to produce friction with texture applied over the entire grip or frame. If you do perhaps the carbide is your solution or go to town on that frame with a wood burner tip. The tape or skateboard tape that I use is basically for flat surfaces and won’t mold into what isn’t. So knowing that, I just simply apply it where it’ll be most effective on the areas it’ll be most effective.

bc1d1057949f924c91adaaf8db725171.jpg

Everyone is different. For me, the most effective part to managing recoil is the part you left blank. 

1 hour ago, 9x45 said:

B_RAD, your hands must sweat acetone....

Ha ha. It's not from sweat.  

Wasn't trying to sound rude, macho or whatever in previous post but it's from gripping hard!  

32 minutes ago, tact said:

Some would argue it doesn’t.

Yeah, for just plain ole plinking, bullseye, time doesn't matter, I wouldn't say you need to grip all that hard. When I was a kid my I was taught to basically just hold the gun, just barely, and just focus on front sight while increasing pressure on the trigger until you get that surprise break. 

For USPSA I want to crush with my support hand as hard as I can. This minimizes recoil and minimizes the effects of a poor trigger pull at speed. 'cause....I'm gonna be slapping it as fast as I can sometimes. Hopefully straight back!

Edited by B_RAD

12 hours ago, 9x45 said:

B_RAD, your hands must sweat acetone....

It might be possible that sweat or something on your hands is the cause of the tape coming loose. Glue is an acidic compound, so strong salt or alkali sweat content could very well break down the glue in your tape.

My grip this time destroyed the right side but last one was the left. Have done all this prep people have mentioned including the heat to both the tape and the frame. The only thing I haven't tried is the extra glue. 

Another thought I had was trying to get a tape that goes around the whole frame because it seems the problem is the tape slides under hard grip pressure then once it slides it will never be right again.

Proper prep is key to making them last longer - longer being the key word.  Alcohol to clean, let dry, and then heat and pressure for application.  Still, I've come to start thinking of these as consumable items...they work for a bit, then when you're shooting on some 100 degree day, they start to come off.  The guns that get used the most, they last the least amount of time.  On the occasional blasters, they last for years.  My Glock 17 is finally starting to peel after about 5-6 years :(

You guys are going around in circles. Give it up.

Try a rubber grip sleeve. It provides friction to your hand on the outside and to the gun on the inside.

If or when it moves, you just reposition it.

My two cents.

16 hours ago, fbzero said:

Proper prep is key to making them last longer - longer being the key word.  Alcohol to clean, let dry, and then heat and pressure for application.  Still, I've come to start thinking of these as consumable items...they work for a bit, then when you're shooting on some 100 degree day, they start to come off.  The guns that get used the most, they last the least amount of time.  On the occasional blasters, they last for years.  My Glock 17 is finally starting to peel after about 5-6 years :(

I consider them consumable items but this last grip tape with the tedious prep to place it didn't even make 1000 rounds

11 hours ago, polymerfeelsweirdman said:

I consider them consumable items but this last grip tape with the tedious prep to place it didn't even make 1000 rounds

Yeah, that's pretty crappy.  I've never noticed any relation to the number of rounds I get out of them as much as to the weather.  Long matches on really hot days seems to be what kills them the fastest to me.  The ones I've had that lasted the longest(aside from the Talons on my G17 that wasn't used as much as some of my others) have been Traction Grips.  They're actually cheaper too, so that's a bonus.  Only found them because when I was looking for some for my X-Calibur, they were the only ones I could find that had them.

Just unsubscribed from the Talon email flyers. Too much email clutter. 

Bought one set with the rubber nubs not the sandpaper style and now it's covered by my Hogue grip sleeve.

Needed the extra thickness to optimize my grip.

Living in California I have to settle for Gen 3 with no blackstrap adjustability.

Edited by Paul49

This is why I want to grip hard!

12 out of 15 shots on the popper at 45 yds. 

Well with a red dot and missing three at 45, I’d say you might want to revisit your grip philosophy or fix your trigger press.

24 minutes ago, tact said:

Well with a red dot and missing three at 45, I’d say you might want to revisit your grip philosophy or fix your trigger press.

Absolutely missed the ones I did because of trigger pull. Thanks for the input!

Edited by B_RAD

I say why not stipple?

PROS:

Extreme grip (better than sand paper IMO, depends on the tip shape when stippling)

Grip surface won't degrade with use (even if talons, etc. stay in place, the sand paper rubs smooth in all the needed places)

Consistency over time (new sandpaper will be much more aggressive than your old one when you replace it, possibly irritating your hands)

grip in all the right places (support side thumb, on top of finger grooves or where grooves used to be if you dremel them off)

doesn't snag jersey material like sand paper does

Free/cheap (Likely you already own a soldering iron. 5$ amazon works just fine)

pressure/heat proof (grip it as hard as you want, aint going no where)

CONS:

Possible diminished value (who cares about resale value, you're gonna beat the gun up shooting tens of thousands of rounds anyway if you're competing)

You might mess up (practice on some glock factory mag loaders)

Look (take your time, make it clean or pay someone to do it professionally. Personally I think partially rubbed off sandpaper looks way worse. Plus who cares, FUNCTION over FORM. Its a competitive gun)

Time (takes a good 3 hours to do right)