Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G17 Double feeds all of a sudden

CTJer

I just started getting double feeds all of a sudden with my Gen 4 G17.  I tried pinning it down to mags, but it happened with multiple mags.     Took out the other G17 and it ran fine.

Same ammo for the last 6mo, nothing different.

I'm talking 2 live rounds, not a FTE and a live round on top.

Any help?

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Try switching the recoil springs between the two G17's    :) 

That’s the plan.  

Also ordered a couple new RSA’s just in case.  

?

When it happens to me it is when my Glock is really dirty.. as in like 3000 rounds or so.  I clean it up and knock off the carbon that has caked on the extractor.  Usually solves the issue.

If I’m understanding the problem description correctly the things to check are the magazine (spring, deformed lips) which you did...a dirty chamber and or tight extractor...and the last like others have mentioned is a worn/weak recoil spring. 

20 hours ago, HoMiE said:

Did you take it apart and clean it? Did you not put the mag. Release back together correctly with speing underneath pin?

Not right before the problem.   Maybe a month before.  I did take it apart after that practice and went through it all again, making sure the mag release was installed correctly. 

17 hours ago, pcs352 said:

If I’m understanding the problem description correctly the things to check are the magazine (spring, deformed lips) which you did...a dirty chamber and or tight extractor...and the last like others have mentioned is a worn/weak recoil spring. 

I’m guessing it’s the recoil spring.   It does have quite a few rounds on it.  The 45 test holding the trigger didn’t show me that it was bad, but a spring with less wear held up fine in a subsequent practice. 

7 hours ago, 9x45 said:

Everything else is the same. Gun, ammo, all of a sudden it burps? What's different? Most likely the shooter...

Could be.  After swapping the RSA, it stopped.   Maybe it forced me to focus on the grip, possibly.  

I’m just glad it’s been worked out.