Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

8 lbs recoil spring for CZ Shadow 1&2

Orbit

Friends,

I am not sure if this question of mine is already discussed but anyway i would like to ask your experience and opinion.

I started reloading for 9mm pistol:

1. 147g Campro with 133pf TG

2. AOL of 1.12”

Before i am using the 13lbs recoil and 13lbs hammer spring for both cz shadow 1&2. It evolved to 11lbs and 13 hammer spring and NOW 8lbs recoil and 13 lbs hammer spring.

Sometimes i experienced slow motion of the slide when going back to battery.

My questions:

1. Will it wear down my pistols?

2. Is this a good mix?

Any comments or recommendations?

I can't speak if this will wear it down.  However I use an 11.5 hammer spring and an 11 lb recoil spring.  I am shooting 135 Gr Acme with 3.3 Gr of Aliant Sport pistol with OAL of 1.12".  For me the gun cycles flawlessly and the DA pull is very nice at right around 6 lbs.  My power factor is right around 128,000.  This is at 1650 ft above sea level and with around 20% humidity and 105 F outside.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On Thursday, October 25, 2018 at 11:46 AM, jripper said:

I'm running a 8.5 lb hammer, with and 10 pound recoil spring.  Do not have any problems with slide cycle. 

What primer manufacturer do u use and what depth is primer set at.

19 minutes ago, Doc1 said:

What primer manufacturer do u use and what depth is primer set at.

Federal only.  I load on a 650, so I seat them as hard as possible, but I don't really know a depth.  I've never had a misfire with federals and this set up 4 different guns. 

I bought an 8# and a 9# Wolff recoil spring to test in my S2.  I didn't even bother trying the 8 after I tested the 9 and it felt like the slide stayed pinned at the rear for decades in recoil.  Seriously, it felt like ages that the front sight was just floating out in the universe with no plans to return home.  

This was with 125gr loads at 132PF.  I went back to the 11#.

I used the 11 a long time, but when I started shooting carry optics, I really see the dot dropping down upon return from recoil  The 10 makes it just a less drop when the gun comes back done.  I like it with the production/open sight set up better also. And I don't feel like I'm waiting for the slide to close.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/15/2018 at 12:17 AM, magpulled said:

I’ve tried 9lb  recoil springs in my shadow 2s and they last about 200 rds before the  slide starts cycling really slow when going into battery. I use 10lb springs now and thousands of rounds later it’s still good. So imo 10 is probably as low as you can go without issues. 

I think it will depends on your hammer spring as well.  If you have a 9lb recoil spring but have a heavier hammer spring, then the cycling will be much slower as the slide needs more effort to push the hammer back.

7 hours ago, BigEar said:

I think it will depends on your hammer spring as well.  If you have a 9lb recoil spring but have a heavier hammer spring, then the cycling will be much slower as the slide needs more effort to push the hammer back.

Yeah, I use an 8.5 lb  hammer spring in my s2’s. Not sure why the 9lb springs I tried didn’t last. 

11.5# HS

Generally been running 10/11# recoil springs, but wanted to experiment with lighter springs.

The 8# feels nice, but my thumb brushed the slide ever so slightly and it felt like time stood still while I was waiting for the gun be ready to fire again.

I think I'll stick with 10#