Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shock- BUffs, who uses?

Ozy

SV used to ship guns with one blue Wilson shock buff.  It never happened to me, but I've seen them shred during a stage and cause the pistol to fail.  Enos Admin SHRED told me to put a Dawson Alumibuff in front the the shock buff, to #1 protect the shock buff and #2 short stroke the pistol just a tad.  It worked flawlessly for a few years with my 6" SV.  Brandon always cussed at me for doing it, but it my mind, the slide slamming into a cushioned piece of aluminum was better than the steel frame.....but what do I know.

"If not, why?"

I have a CK gun with 7# recoil spring, runs 124 gr at 170-172 PF, 25+k rounds, no indications of anything being smashed or peened other than normal wear.  No buffs, no apparent need.  Might be somewhat of an urban myth. ?

Don't forget that buffs are .100 thick, and each one "de-strokes" the gun by that much.  If you were to use 3 in a stroked gun it would de-stroke it back to normal.  Whether that matters is probably like everything else - YMMV.  

Edited by teros135

1 minute ago, teros135 said:

"If not, why?"

I have a CK gun with 7# recoil spring, runs 124 gr at 170-172 PF, 25+k rounds, no indications of anything being smashed or peened other than normal wear.  No buffs, no apparent need.  Might be somewhat of an urban myth. ?

Yeah, I haven't added them to any of my CK based pistols and they seem to be running just fine.

I use one in my SS gun. Shooting major (45), I like the short stroke effect. Not sure if it actually does this but I get the sense of a faster slide cycle and faster follow up shot with the buff in place. Haven’t timed wit or witout though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you guys for your valuable feedback..... it seems we have a split field though, of yehs and nays.....

o put differently, what are the advantages/disadvantages of short stoking? doesn't cut down the reliability factor of the cycling of the pistol?

I have them in a few of my 19/2011's. I'm a fan. Never had one cause a failure in a match...yet...

I've done blue Wilson's on standard guide rods. Some other company very similar.

Also use the Comminoli Custom in a couple guns with cushions on both sides of the head of the guide rod.

I use the Dawson Precision alumabuffs in my open guns and like the feel of them. Gun works normally with no problems of a self destructing nylon buffer. Used to use the CP buffs as they were the strongest of the nylon types.

2 hours ago, Silverscooby27 said:

I’m not a fan. Caused feeding and cycling issues for me in Glock primarily. 

That's cuz you were trying to mess with perfection...

I've got a bunch of red ones from "way back when" and have always used them since they first appeared.  Never had any problems with them.  They seem to last a different number of rounds in different guns but have worked in all the 1911s and one 2011 without any trouble from them.

• 2 months later...