Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flying with Guns Internationally (In Asia)

DyNo!

I'm planning on shooting a match in the Philippines and because I live on the East Coast (in the South) there are not any direct flights between there and Manila.

I'm going to have to make a stop somewhere.

Assuming all my paper is in order, where is the best place to stop? 

The choices are San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York City, Hawaii, China, Korea, Hong Kong, Japan. 

Everything I'm travelling with is illegal in these places

I'll have all of my paperwork in order on the US and PH side, but none of those places I listed above are good to have a gun. 

From what I understand, as long as I don't leave the airport, everything is ok. But I don't want any unnecessary trouble and I'd prefer to go through a place where it won't be a big deal.

Where's the best place to stop and change planes? ?

Since you don’t plan to leave the airport, Japan, Hong Kong and Korea in that order. I had been on all those places before retiring from the military. Japan’s Narita international airport is very nice. You’ll find great food to eat while waiting for your next plane. So does Hong Kong and Korea. However, the Japanese are the nicest people I’ve met in my navy career. 

Good luck and be safe. It’s been a long time since I’d been in Manila.

Edited by George16

Flew from Canada to the Philippines twice. I am flying to a match there next month. My advice is to check that your luggage are transferred to the next flight by the airline and that you don't take possesion of your luggages. 

I have transited via Japan with no problems but never handled my luggage and only picked it up in Manila. 

We now have  direct flights from Toronto now so it makes it more simple. 

Which match you attending?

Do not go via New York...If something goes wrong with your flights and need to retrieve checked luggage (where I presume your pistol will be) you can get grabbed for possession of a firearm. 

You better check on laws in other potential stop over points in the US.

Edited by kps9999
typo

Do not go via New York...If something goes wrong with your flights and need to retrieve checked luggage (where I presume your pistol will be) you can get grabbed for possession of a firearm. 

You better check on laws in other potential stop over points in the US.

Exactly this. You will not make it back through security with the gun checked if you have to take possession of the suitcase for any reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk