Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

590M For Open

HCH

What are everyone’s thoughts on a Mossberg 590M for Open? I’m considering an M2 with speedloaders, or a 590 with big sticks. 

Will the pump pump keep up with a semi, given that reloads shouldn’t take nearly as long?

There are certain styles of matches and stages that afford a decisive advantage to an Open shooter who can reload faster (or doesn't have to at all)... but I've been kind of surprised by how many matches where that isn't true. If there's any amount of substantial movement on the stage, a Tac Optics shooter who's proficient at quad-loading can keep the gun topped off without incurring much of a time hit at all.

I'm not going to claim to be an expert or anything, but I've seen high-level Tac Optics shooters beat equally high-level Open shooters in big, natural-terrain matches where there was enough movement to help "make up" for shotgun reloads, and I've seen the same high-level Open shooters beat out the same high-level Tac Optics shooters on fast, short bay-style matches that make lack of reloads a more decisive advantage.

I say all of that to say that based on my observations, reloading speed/frequency isn't always a critical advantage for Open. What is always a critical advantage is being able to run the gun faster, which you're not going to be able to do with a pump gun. I think that at best, having to run a pump on a shorter stage where you don't have to reload and someone shooting an auto-loader does comes out in a wash. At worst, you're at a pretty sizable disadvantage.

I don't think you have to necessarily go crazy with an X-Rail or a $3000 custom Vepr... but I think you almost have to run a semi-automatic of some sort. M2 with speed loaders would be fine - you might be a little bit behind the power curve compared to the folks running high-end box-fed guns, but not by nearly enough to be decisive. Jerry Miculek seems to do okay with a Mossberg 930 and speed loaders....

Edited by Steve133

1 hour ago, Rnlinebacker said:

what are your thoughts on an AR style shotgun?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

They’re great... when they work. 

Im on this at the moment. Newbie in practical shotgun. Have a 1301c and SX3 w/ speedloaders. Box fed custom semi autos are in my newbie eyes are desirable but onerously priced here in my neck of woods. Although I could afford it if I decide to get one, the cost and performance in reliability make me think against it. Im not in the US so technical support is big concern. Also the type of matches in my locality make reloading less critical. Im not out to conquer the universe so I will stick w/ the 1301 and sx3 for now and practice stick reloads more. 

Edited by BoyGlock
This a bit out of topic for the op but similar concerns

2 hours ago, poortrader said:

What’s the max capacity of the mags? I can start with 17 in my M2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20 on the mossberg... with an 18.5” barrel. 

33 minutes ago, wgj3 said:

I think it would be interesting for sure.

Also interesting for matches that only specify "pump 12ga" for heavy metal division.

Cant do it at rocky mountain, i already asked ?

• 4 weeks later...

Borrowed a friend's 590m for a shotgun only stage last weekend, finished 15th of 50 having never even held one before then and bumbling the reload wasting like 8 seconds. I'm sure a top shooter would outrun one, but they will definitely keep up with most. If they can ever make a 930 work with these mags it'll be game over, but as is fun as hell and very competitive even with a pump.

I should note the reload was my fault not knowing where to rock it in from. Once I took a peek under and saw where it needed to go it went right in. Not exactly the smoothest, and yes I foot faulted at the end (was shooting 2 gun, this was for no score), but all things considered if you can run a pump you can do pretty well to me.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/K5UWRqMrM7yGecR1A

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Here's my High Desert 3 Gun 2018 Match experience using the 590M:

Day 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSgD671gb3o

Day 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW1-AOZjczg

For as little as I shoot 3 Gun anymore vs 2 Gun, the 590M is perfect because I don't have to practice reloading  at all.  And unlike my Saigas and VEPRs over the years if I pump it hard enough it will run. 

Where it will be a definitive hindrance is really short speed shoot stages with match points scoring.  Losing a couple seconds pumping there is a lot of match points.  On longer courses of fire, it made no difference in my opinion.  Any speed disadvantage is made up for by the gun actually running. 

Edited by SinistralRifleman

42 minutes ago, SinistralRifleman said:

Here's my High Desert 3 Gun 2018 Match experience using the 590M:

Day 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSgD671gb3o

Day 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW1-AOZjczg

For as little as I shoot 3 Gun anymore vs 2 Gun, the 590M is perfect because I don't have to practice reloading  at all.  And unlike my Saigas and VEPRs over the years if I pump it hard enough it will run. 

Where it will be a definitive hindrance is really short speed shoot stages with match points scoring.  Losing a couple seconds pumping there is a lot of match points.  On longer courses of fire, it made no difference in my opinion.  Any speed disadvantage is made up for by the gun actually running. 

Watched you videos of the match, the 590 looked pretty good.  Also i like the narration instead of annoying music, helped to understand what was going on that couldn't be seen

1 minute ago, RJH said:

Watched you videos of the match, the 590 looked pretty good.  Also i like the narration instead of annoying music, helped to understand what was going on that couldn't be seen

Thanks, my main goal is to help people understand what to expect and what to prepare for when going to these events.

I need to get my barrel sent out for threading for chokes.  I plan on using the 590M again at Hard as Hell 3 Gun in December in Trooper-Armored.

• 2 weeks later...

I shot open for a while and honestly most matches your not gonna have a big advantage with a open shotgun vs practical shotgun( or what ever they are calling that class). Most matches are set up for practical/ tac ops that's one of the reasons I stopped shooting 3gun