Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Changing powders. Cheapest powder to make major. *help*

nikdanja

I have used TG and WST. The TG burns hotter and is louder the WST is worth the extra 20 every 8 pounds. Powder is such a small expense I wouldn't waste a ton of time and money trying to save a few bucks. You currently get around 10k rounds per jug so .018 per round. WST runs 150 after shipping and I load 4.8 with 180 coated lead. 11666 rounds per jug and .013 cents a round. Over 20k rounds a year you save $100

Also you pay too much for powder. WSF is $1 dollar more than WST per 8 pounds from powder valley. Watch for free Hazmat times and order 32 pounds or split an order with other shooters and bring the cost down to 150-155 a jug.

Point is unless you are un happy with how it shoots you will be wasting time that you could be shooting, loading, dry fire or making some OT at work.

Tight Group is going to be your cheapest consistently.  I've switched to Sport Pistol for minor and plan to use it for my major.  I can't say enought good things for it when using it for minor and I've heard great things for major.  It is usually about the same price and I've found it cheaper than Tight Group at times.

The benefits are it is cleaner and doesn't burn as hot.  The one down side is that it is new and some people are having trouble getting it to major for 200 gr 40 cal.  I havne't looked into this more but it is worth diving deeper on though if you're interested.

On 8/6/2018 at 9:30 PM, CaliYeti said:

The one down side is that it is new and some people are having trouble getting it to major for 200 gr 40 cal.  I havne't looked into this more but it is worth diving deeper on though if you're interested.

trouble? just put more powder in... Sure, it's rocket science, but it's the really easy kind of rocket science.

5 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

trouble? just put more powder in... Sure, it's rocket science, but it's the really easy kind of rocket science.

Obviously that seems logical. The trouble is that Alliant's max reccomended isn't getting it to major still from what people are saying on here and they don't want to go past the max.  I don't have experience with 40 yet it is just something I found on here learning since I'm about to start loading 40 and woud like to stay with one powder.

Just now, CaliYeti said:

Obviously that seems logical. The trouble is that Alliant's max reccomended isn't getting it to major still from what people are saying on here and they don't want to go past the max.  

I guess I'm used to loading with powders that don't even have data for the caliber, or have totally silly data. loading past the lawyer-max doesn't bother me much since I'm usually at a significantly longer OAL than the book specifies. But I strongly recommend that no one else ever does what I do, and if they do, they can't sue me.  ;)

12 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

I guess I'm used to loading with powders that don't even have data for the caliber, or have totally silly data. loading past the lawyer-max doesn't bother me much since I'm usually at a significantly longer OAL than the book specifies. But I strongly recommend that no one else ever does what I do, and if they do, they can't sue me.  ;)

Haha that's good to know.  I'm still fairly new to loading, I've only been doing it a year and with 9mm only.  I've just been doing research getting ready to start with 40 cal this weekend.

Thanks for the input

On 7/26/2018 at 11:06 AM, Beef15 said:

Saving money is saving money, if something costs less and does what I want I buy it.

Shooter's World Cleanshot is pretty good in 9 minor very low SDs, meters well, decent case fill.

Was turned onto it by local folks primarily using it in 40 Major, around 4.5gr under a coated 180.

Agreed I have been using 4.6gr of Clean Shot under a 180 Blue bullet and have been super happy with the results......single digit SD's and meters absolutely perfect every time.  

On 7/26/2018 at 12:03 PM, B_RAD said:

Prima SV. About 15 per 1.1 lbs. 

I'm using around 4.4 grs at 1.185 w/180 gr blue bullets. Out of a 5" KKM barrel. Can't remember the velocity of the top.of my head but I'm getting around 170 pf.

Another vote for the Nobel Sport/Vectan line of powders.  I use Prima V for 180gr major loads and recently have been experimenting with Prima SV for 200gr major loads.  Both work great in 40 major and are less than $15/pound.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I was using e3 for a while, but it coated the muzzle end of the guy something terrible.  Like I could not see the fiber optic after 1 stage. This was with acme 180 grn.  e3 metered ok, and was accurate, but was not impressed with the SD.  I was shooting sti with a infinity barrel.

22 hours ago, durdy1 said:

I was using e3 for a while, but it coated the muzzle end of the guy something terrible.  Like I could not see the fiber optic after 1 stage. This was with acme 180 grn.  e3 metered ok, and was accurate, but was not impressed with the SD.  I was shooting sti with a infinity barrel.

That is the exact opposite of what I found.  It meters great and shoots super clean.  My SDs were always in the 4.8 to 7.6 range.  I shot major for two complete seasons and never have to change the FO.  Previously I had to change so often that I bought 16" of FO material.

On 8/8/2018 at 1:55 PM, CaliYeti said:

Haha that's good to know.  I'm still fairly new to loading, I've only been doing it a year and with 9mm only.  I've just been doing research getting ready to start with 40 cal this weekend.

Thanks for the input

This is a fairly common occurrence when loading Major. Most loads seem to exceed "book values" or manufacturer published data. 

The best advice I ever got on here was to start at the MINIMUM recommended load data, use a chrono at the range to see where that load is in terms of power factor and then start to work up from there. 

Every gun is different. Some barrels seem to run faster, some slower. 

Be patient with your loading process and work up intelligently using due caution. Check your primers for signs of excessive pressure. 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:44 PM, Foxj66 said:

I have used TG and WST. The TG burns hotter and is louder the WST is worth the extra 20 every 8 pounds. Powder is such a small expense I wouldn't waste a ton of time and money trying to save a few bucks. You currently get around 10k rounds per jug so .018 per round. WST runs 150 after shipping and I load 4.8 with 180 coated lead. 11666 rounds per jug and .013 cents a round. Over 20k rounds a year you save $100

Also you pay too much for powder. WSF is $1 dollar more than WST per 8 pounds from powder valley. Watch for free Hazmat times and order 32 pounds or split an order with other shooters and bring the cost down to 150-155 a jug.

Point is unless you are un happy with how it shoots you will be wasting time that you could be shooting, loading, dry fire or making some OT at work.

I agree with this. And, I would use WST instead of WSF for 40 major. You'll get buy with less powder than WSF and shoot cleaner than TG.

Edited by doc88