Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Changing powders. Cheapest powder to make major. *help*

nikdanja

I’m using 5.6 to make major with WSF powder and looking for a cheaper option. (180gr bullet) 

Paying about $180 for 8 pounds. 

What suggestions do you guys have? 

Shooting out of a 5” gun 

I'm a big fan of e3 and Sport Pistol is supposedly pretty good.  e3 is $133/8lb and Sport Pistol is $130/8lb, both before shipping & hazmat.

Not sure you're going to find much cheaper.

There are 7000 grs per pound. 8 lbs is 56,000 grs. 56000/5.6 is 10,000 rds of ammo. $180.00/10,000 is .018 per rd. It doesn't get much cheaper than that. Go with the best powder you can that gives you the most consistent loads. This is not the place to budget. If you want to save money you can try a different bullet company.

Saving money is saving money, if something costs less and does what I want I buy it.

Shooter's World Cleanshot is pretty good in 9 minor very low SDs, meters well, decent case fill.

Was turned onto it by local folks primarily using it in 40 Major, around 4.5gr under a coated 180.

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

And if you break it all down it’s only a penny more per shot to use expensive powder. Powder is th cheapest part of the equation except for free brass.

I’m looking at “cheaper” in 2 ways. 

1. Cheaper at the cash register

2. Cheaper because I’m not using so much of it to actually make major. 

Prima SV. About 15 per 1.1 lbs. 

I'm using around 4.4 grs at 1.185 w/180 gr blue bullets. Out of a 5" KKM barrel. Can't remember the velocity of the top.of my head but I'm getting around 170 pf.

2 hours ago, Youngeyes said:

There are 7000 grs per pound. 8 lbs is 56,000 grs. 56000/5.6 is 10,000 rds of ammo. $180.00/10,000 is .018 per rd. It doesn't get much cheaper than that. Go with the best powder you can that gives you the most consistent loads. This is not the place to budget. If you want to save money you can try a different bullet company.

Exactly. Powder Valley has N320 for 113.50 per 4# Buy two and that's 227. Add $50 for HAZ and shipping that's $277. Sounds like so much more. But doing the math shows that 13,333 rounds loaded at 4.2 grains. That's 2 cents each!

Get together with some buddies and order a bunch of primers powder etc and split the fees. Then it's virtually a wash from using a "cheap" powder. All powder is cheap if you look at it this way.

Ramshot Competition. 4 grains with 180 grain coated bullets (eggleston munitions) at 1.18 oal for 168 power factor. This is out of a 6 inch SV with a Schuemann barrel. You'll have to work up a load.

Meters really consistently in my LnL. 

It's referred to as "poor mans n320". I like it because I can get it at a good price locally in 4 lbs or 8 lbs jugs at a local shop, usually next day pick-up. 

I wouldn't pick one powder of another based on a 5$ difference though for the same size container. I played around with a few powders before deciding on the Ramshot Competition for making Major. 

On 7/26/2018 at 10:03 AM, Sarge said:

Exactly. Powder Valley has N320 for 113.50 per 4# Buy two and that's 227. Add $50 for HAZ and shipping that's $277. Sounds like so much more. But doing the math shows that 13,333 rounds loaded at 4.2 grains. That's 2 cents each!...

Also, every so often Powder Valley will have a special of either free shipping or free hazmat. Not to mention if shooting a lot one could order enough powder and primers to max out the 48 lbs shipping limit and reduce the hazmat/shipping fee further per pound.

14 minutes ago, tanks said:

Also, every so often Powder Valley will have a special of either free shipping or free hazmat. Not to mention if shooting a lot one could order enough powder and primers to max out the 48 lbs shipping limit and reduce the hazmat/shipping fee further per pound.

Exactly what I'm waiting for. Their prices on powder and whatnot are usually so much cheaper that even if you need something urgently, it will come out cheaper than other stores if you buy enough. Went from loading 9mm minor to 223, and that was a rude awakening in seeing how long a 1 lb bottle lasts ?

Doesn't matter the caliber, just plan ahead for powder.

Brownells had 20N29 at a better price than anyone with a coupon for free shipping and $40 off.

After paying for hazmat, I got 16lbs and 1000 Federal Match primers for $400.

This will be used next year and the year after.  At 228 rounds per 8lbs, it adds up.

30 minutes ago, synchronicity said:

Doesn't matter the caliber, just plan ahead for powder.

Brownells had 20N29 at a better price than anyone with a coupon for free shipping and $40 off.

After paying for hazmat, I got 16lbs and 1000 Federal Match primers for $400.

This will be used next year and the year after.  At 228 rounds per 8lbs, it adds up.

Interesting that you would compare loading 50BMG to loading competition pistol rounds...in the .40/10mm thread...

Edited by wgj3

6 hours ago, KrymSIX said:

Ramshot Competition. 4 grains with 180 grain coated bullets (eggleston munitions) at 1.18 oal for 168 power factor. This is out of a 6 inch SV with a Schuemann barrel. You'll have to work up a load.

Meters really consistently in my LnL. 

It's referred to as "poor mans n320". I like it because I can get it at a good price locally in 4 lbs or 8 lbs jugs at a local shop, usually next day pick-up. 

I wouldn't pick one powder of another based on a 5$ difference though for the same size container. I played around with a few powders before deciding on the Ramshot Competition for making Major. 

+1 on Ramshot competition. I have switched to WST as I was unable to get Ramshot locally. Will definitely take a look at the ramshot again once my WST is gone.

18 hours ago, wgj3 said:

Interesting that you would compare loading 50BMG to loading competition pistol rounds...in the .40/10mm thread...

What I was trying to show was that one gets a good deal on specialized expensive components by deciding what you want

and then getting enough of a stash ahead that you can shop for deals for years down the road.

This is how I reduce costs of reloading for all of my endeavors.  Buy it cheap and stack it deep.

I loaded 180gr coated bullets over 3.6 or 3.7gr e3, depending on the brand of bullet.  That load made 172PF out of my pistol.  It was super clean and super consistent.  I tested each batch over a chrono and found no variance.  The worst 10-shot SD i ever got was 7.15.  The best SD was 4.83.  No other powder I tried (a lot) gave me that performance.  Price for 8

an 8 lb jug is $108 if I buy it from the club, or $138 if I buy it at the store.