Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Just4FunLP

Gun Cleaning Spray Alternative

I’ve been using sprays to hose down my pistols for years now, and while they do work great, it’s expensive. Im thinking of buying a refillable aerosol sprayer and a gallon of CRC brake cleaner.  This sprayer is $20 and the brake cleaner is $21.  Anyone got a better idea?

22D69000-5CD8-4785-929C-58BB43AE344E.jpeg

0D5DA2D2-050B-4370-8DDE-B520F65CF573.jpeg

I use mineral spirits in on of those to clean guns.  Also have a small parts washer in my shop with mineral spirits.  expensive cleaners aren't necessary.  

Brake cleaner is usually 85% acetone if you check the SDS on it. 

Acetone works damn well and I think Gallon was $16 at home depot.

I use the cans of Gun Blaster from Wally World, but me thinks this idea is better.  

I buy cans of Brake Clean at Walmart. This may be even better. But the spray  can is pretty convenient, and only a couple bucks.

You're supposed to clean guns? Dang, I learn something new every day!

Seriously though, I only do a complete tear down 1 time per year, the rest is a field strip, wipe, & lube every quarter or so. And when I do clean, a can of Brakleen will last a long time.

If you use an ultrasonic cleaner, you won't lose any of your cleaning solution.

Personally I like the the brake clean in the spray cans. Can usually find it on sale in the $3 range

Brake Kleen in a non-aerosol spray bottle would work, but it would add time to the job.  That high pressure aerosol blast REALLY cuts the crud in short order.

Brake cleaner is 80-90% acetone.

A gallon of acetone from your local big box hardware store’s paint section is under $20. I do a 1-hour soak on anything I want to  cerakote, per their instructions. It’s incredibly helpful if you want a *truly* clean firearm.

Take a funnel and tuck a coffee filter into it, then  pour the acetone back into the gallon container when you’re finished.

no issues with acetone on plastic parts ?

Used to use brake cleaner in the aerosol cans you can get them on sale sometimes for 1.99 , make sure you use non chlorinated.  However lately I have been using a product called shooter lube solvent.  It’s non hazardous and cleans just as good as the brake cleaner.

In addition to brake cleaner, I’ve been using crc silicon spray from Walmart 

it cheap, the carrier is acetone and drys quickly and it leaves a coat of silicon behind

the spray isn’t as strong as brake cleaner so there less of a chance of getting blasted by it when it  ricochets off the parts