Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun Cleaning Spray Alternative

Just4FunLP

I’ve been using sprays to hose down my pistols for years now, and while they do work great, it’s expensive. Im thinking of buying a refillable aerosol sprayer and a gallon of CRC brake cleaner.  This sprayer is $20 and the brake cleaner is $21.  Anyone got a better idea?

22D69000-5CD8-4785-929C-58BB43AE344E.jpeg

0D5DA2D2-050B-4370-8DDE-B520F65CF573.jpeg

You're supposed to clean guns? Dang, I learn something new every day!

Seriously though, I only do a complete tear down 1 time per year, the rest is a field strip, wipe, & lube every quarter or so. And when I do clean, a can of Brakleen will last a long time.

• 2 weeks later...

Brake cleaner is 80-90% acetone.

A gallon of acetone from your local big box hardware store’s paint section is under $20. I do a 1-hour soak on anything I want to  cerakote, per their instructions. It’s incredibly helpful if you want a *truly* clean firearm.

Take a funnel and tuck a coffee filter into it, then  pour the acetone back into the gallon container when you’re finished.

Used to use brake cleaner in the aerosol cans you can get them on sale sometimes for 1.99 , make sure you use non chlorinated.  However lately I have been using a product called shooter lube solvent.  It’s non hazardous and cleans just as good as the brake cleaner.

In addition to brake cleaner, I’ve been using crc silicon spray from Walmart 

it cheap, the carrier is acetone and drys quickly and it leaves a coat of silicon behind

the spray isn’t as strong as brake cleaner so there less of a chance of getting blasted by it when it  ricochets off the parts

• 4 weeks later...

This isn't the most economic option, but brake cleaner ain't the safest if you get it on your hands, and the years add up. Looking for alternatives like the Lucas oil contact cleaner or other ways can be good options!

...or just buy it by the biggest case you can! ?

If you get a parts cleaner and use Kerosene or Mineral Spirits in it, you can clean a lot of other items besides guns in it.

https://www.amazon.com/Goplus-Automotive-Cleaner-Electric-Solvent/dp/B01BBP4ASK/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1536237261&sr=1-3-spons&keywords=parts+cleaner&psc=1

Edited by Steve RA
link did not work

I recently decided to try Ballistol and it works quite well. I like that it's not as toxic as many other products, so I don't have to worry as much about skin contact.

Only thing is it's kind of expensive for mass application, but does come in a spray bottle container.

34 minutes ago, Tasteslikechicken said:

Has anyone had any bad experiences using brake cleaner when it comes to coatings? Or is it 100% safe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it has been Cerekoted properly, there should be no issues. 

• 1 month later...

It's not cheap but Birchwood Casey "Gun Scrubber" in a spray can works very well and is polymer safe.  I buy it at Wallyworld and it's a little cheaper there. 

As noted, avoid chlorinated brake cleaner.  It's hard on most plastics/polymers and quite toxic on both skin contact and breathing the vapors.