Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speed mode in live fire practice

wdfwguy

After about four months of uspsa-style shooting, I've finally started feeling comfortable trying to push myself to go faster.  My times have improved over the last few months without really pushing,  but I know there's still lots of low hanging fruit.

So, last night I spent some time watching YouTube videos on movement, especially position entry and exit, footwork, etc.  And this morning at the range, I set up two targets, and two boxes at about ten yards.  So, draw and fire two shots on two different targets, then move to the next box and repeat.

My first couple tries, at my normal speed, were ~8.5 seconds.

I then ran it again, adding in some of the tips on getting out of and into position.  That brought my times down around 6-7 seconds, and when I tried to go as fast as possible, under 5. 

Which was nice to see, that I'm actually capable of going faster.  But obviously, my accuracy suffered.  Which, if I understand speed mode correctly, is acceptable.  You're trying to push past what feels comfortable, and improve speed, not accuracy.

So, am I doing this correctly?  Doing drills in speed mode and not worrying about hits, as long as I see the dot/sights.  And then, finish with a run or two in match mode.  Push and go as fast as possible in practice, and that speed will start to show up when you're shooting a match.

Yes sir 

The ‘new speed’ will become normal and you can back it off 15-20% and regain your accuracy while still benefiting from the increase. It might be wise to take a few runs at match speed at the end of your session to see and remember how that feels. 

I took my 15 yard plate rack time from 5.5 seconds to less than 4 in one long practice session 

Edited by Goodonpaper
Omission

Define what you want to accomplish in the practice.   If you're going for speed, don't worry about the accuracy.   Like above, maybe end the session in "Match Mode" to get a picture of where you're at.

That is a good way to learn how to get faster.  I definitly would end it in a "match mode" like CT said since you're still fairly new.  Maybe another time you can try and work on slight increases while keeping accuracy untill you learn your true limits with acceptable points.

Keep track of your times though and see how your "match mode" increases in set drills.  

• 1 month later...

Yes and no. 

Here's what you need to do in practice:  see things faster

It does you no good to shoot super accurately or super crazy.  You need to try to push how fast you see and interpret information.

If you really struggle to go faster you can do the following:  Pick a cadence on an array of targets and shoot that cadence no matter if you're ready to shoot it or not.  

Try that out and let me know how it works

CS