Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Teach me how to shoot the Walther Q5 pls!

jayjay1

Hi Fellas,

I´m switching after 8 years from my old and beloved CZ 75 SP-01 with iron sights to a Walther Q5 Match Champion with a red dot.

I do have some issues with changing to a red dot, but that is discussed in another thread.

Here I want to get your help with holding the Q5 firmly and managing the recoil.

I know, it is just a 9mm, but the gun behaves totally different from what I´m used to with the CZ.

And don´t get me wrong though, I love the Q5 for its ergos, trigger, grip and accuracy, so please help me to get it tamed.

?

I think my problem is mainly because of the different ratios between the grip and the slide weight.

With the CZ, the grip (resting weight) is much heavier in comparison to the slide (backmoving weight), so that the "kick back" of the gun is a lot softer.

I didn´t measure it though, but I think the weight ratio at the Walther is 4-5 times higher than it is at the CZ (much lighter grip, much heavier slide including plate and red dot).

Another point in my opinion is, that the slide rides higher above the hands on the Walther - and - the handle itself is fixed further to the front, which results in a key point further to the front.

This might even cause a stronger muzzle flip (in my opinion).

After every shot I have to fight back the pistol and search the Dot again, which increased the split times for my follow-up shots dramatically (compared to the CZ).

Talking about the haptics I would say there is almost no difference with the strong hand on both pistols, even a bit a better grip on the Walther Q5.

But there is a huge difference by holding the Q5 with the support hand.

On the CZ the thumb of my support hand rests on the slide catch, so that I can press the gun down or fix it there, that´s a huge advantage compared to the Walther Q5 which hasn´t such a fixing point.

It is more the opossite, the thumb of my support hand finds no hold at the Q5, where the grip is plain and slick.

Well, now I have written a lot, but that´s what drives me around since some weeks.

I hope you can follow my thoughts and that you can help me by telling how you do it.

Best regards,

Jo

Edited by jayjay1

I made the same move this year minus the dot.

I had to add material to the front of the grip so I could get a bigger area for my support hand to contact the frame. I also wrapped the grip with skate board tape.

For me personally the ergos are terrible(big meat hooks for hands) but its hard to pass up the Win With Walther money.

The biggest thing I noticed is I had to really work on locking my support hand wrist. 147gr 130pf ammo helps too.

I came to the PPQ / Q5 from a Tanfo, so I’ve been there.

You definitely realize when your grip is slacking off with a 28ish oz polymer gun like a Glock or Walther.

With a heavier metal gun, it hides bad habits. Its more stable and harder to influence. Practice a lot with your Walther, it’ll make you a better shooter. And keep your grip pressure at maximum, particularly with the weak hand.

If you want to get your hands a little higher on the gun and make more room on that short grip? A double-undercut is now legal in Production and Carry Optics, and this made even more difference for me than flaring the magwell.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

4 hours ago, je85 said:

I made the same move this year minus the dot.

I had to add material to the front of the grip so I could get a bigger area for my support hand to contact the frame. I also wrapped the grip with skate board tape.

For me personally the ergos are terrible(big meat hooks for hands) but its hard to pass up the Win With Walther money.

The biggest thing I noticed is I had to really work on locking my support hand wrist. 147gr 130pf ammo helps too.

How?  Pics?

Thanks,

10 hours ago, jayjay1 said:

Hi Fellas,

I´m switching after 8 years from my old and beloved CZ 75 SP-01 with iron sights to a Walther Q5 Match Champion with a red dot.

I do have some issues with changing to a red dot, but that is discussed in another thread.

Here I want to get your help with holding the Q5 firmly and managing the recoil.

I know, it is just a 9mm, but the gun behaves totally different from what I´m used to with the CZ.

And don´t get me wrong though, I love the Q5 for its ergos, trigger, grip and accuracy, so please help me to get it tamed.

?

I think my problem is mainly because of the different ratios between the grip and the slide weight.

With the CZ, the grip (resting weight) is much heavier in comparison to the slide (backmoving weight), so that the "kick back" of the gun is a lot softer.

I didn´t measure it though, but I think the weight ratio at the Walther is 4-5 times higher than it is at the CZ (much lighter grip, much heavier slide including plate and red dot).

Another point in my opinion is, that the slide rides higher above the hands on the Walther - and - the handle itself is fixed further to the front, which results in a key point further to the front.

This might even cause a stronger muzzle flip (in my opinion).

After every shot I have to fight back the pistol and search the Dot again, which increased the split times for my follow-up shots dramatically (compared to the CZ).

Talking about the haptics I would say there is almost no difference with the strong hand on both pistols, even a bit a better grip on the Walther Q5.

But there is a huge difference by holding the Q5 with the support hand.

On the CZ the thumb of my support hand rests on the slide catch, so that I can press the gun down or fix it there, that´s a huge advantage compared to the Walther Q5 which hasn´t such a fixing point.

It is more the opossite, the thumb of my support hand finds no hold at the Q5, where the grip is plain and slick.

Well, now I have written a lot, but that´s what drives me around since some weeks.

I hope you can follow my thoughts and that you can help me by telling how you do it.

Best regards,

Jo

Every plastic gun I pick up feels slick to me. 

Grip tape, silcon carbide, stippling or all the above helps.  I also use pro grip.

I'm shooting a q5 right now for fun to try and see if I'm gonna like it. I want to shoot CO next year. Yes it's a different animal than the CZ!  

You gotta really grip the gun hard and try to get that support hand as high as possible. When I shoot CZ (or anything metal and with safties) I don't try to get the supper high weakhand grip like I do when I shoot a plastic gun. On the metal guns it seems to cause problems with the safites. My point is, if your grip is lower like how you may be gripping the CZ, that's gonna allow the gun to flip more. Try adjusting your weakhand higher, cant it forward and squeeze as hard as you can. It takes a little time to figure out what works best for you.

I also think most swap out the recoil spring for a lighter one. Though, that's probably more for dip on the return of the slide.

I'm getting to the point now where I just grip as hard as I can and I usually can't tell the difference between guns. Or at least I don't focus on it too much. The one thing I probably don't fret about!  Ha ha. 

Edited by B_RAD

2 hours ago, B_RAD said:

How?  Pics?

Thanks,

I used epoxy putty that you can get at your local HD or Lowes.

I wrapped the grip with cling wrap then mixed the epoxy and applied it to the front and tapered the sides.

after a few hours it should be hard. Remove it then remove cling wrap and reinstall. The grip tape will hold it in place.

I use the medium back strap.

IMG_20180725_174032.jpg

IMG_20180725_174107.jpg

IMG_20180725_174142.jpg

IMG_20180725_174452.jpg

Hey!

Thanks für your help and infos guys, I really appreciate that.  ?

Ok, my goal is to shoot the Q5 in IPSC PO and have mounted a red dot on it.

I tried the weaker Wilson Combat spring, as recommended here in another thread, but that lead to ftf all the time after I´ve mounted the red dot.

So I went back to the factory spring and that problem is gone.

I also added rubber grip tape from Talon Grips, like I said, I have no issues with the strong hand, only with the support hand.

So I will try to angle my wrist more forward and squeeze that thingy harder, got to train that.

Thanks again for taking the time and helping me.

Also?

Buy the sandpaper grit Talons and replace the rubber one.

I run rubber talons on my carry PPQ and skateboard grit talons on my Production Q5.

There is absolutely no comparison at all. The grit ones offer five times the traction and completely change the way the gun handles.

On 7/26/2018 at 10:02 AM, jayjay1 said:

Thanks MemphisMechanic.

That´s a good and strong point, if you are running both.

I will order the sandpaper ones.

I’m going to do Silicon Carbide on a PPQ shortly, which is truly my *preferred* grip. Sandpaper that never really wears out.

I’ll post a step by step.

15 hours ago, jayjay1 said:

Never done this kind of coating and I know no one who has done it aaaand I don´t want to ruin my beloved gun.

?

It also would not be legal in IPSC Production Optics so I'd stick to the Talon sandpaper grips.  My biggest issue in the transition from the Shadow and Shadow 2's has been my weak hand getting too high and riding the slide and/or bumping the controls. I have had both sides of the slide not locking back on empty and accidentally locking the slide back mid stage.  I don't really find the flip or recoil to be a big deal compared to the CZ's

On 8/2/2018 at 12:09 AM, jayjay1 said:

I´ve ordered the sandpapers from Talon almost a week ago.

@Chili:

How did you fix your "weak-hand-high grip" issue?

I´m making the same.

Unfortunately I haven't, and I am also not certain that is the cause now.  I ruined my Level 3 Provincial Championships this past weekend with jam after jam and I am trying to see if I can figure out the cause on video.  Every single stoppage I had this match was a double feed and I am starting to wonder if the stock recoil setup isn't too stiff as my brass doesn't eject anywhere near as far as it did with my Shadows.  I made 131.7 at Chrony so my ammo is exactly where I want it.  If I can't figure out something in the next few hours I will likely put the Q away for a few weeks until I can play with it as I have the Canadian Nationals next week.

Was very disappointing as I love the gun but can't go into a big match wondering how many time a stage I am going to get a jam.

Edit: After analyzing my video I must be riding the slide just a touch and slowing it down, on each double feed the brass barely clears the knuckles of my strong hand and then the gun jams.  Shots with no jam the brass ejects pretty consistently a few feet back and right.

Edited by Chili

I'm going to try SC because it looks to be more agressive than stippiling, or can be if you use the right grit. Yes it needs to be redone every once and a while but so does tape. 

A solid grip is crucial to shooting every gun well!

Edited by B_RAD