Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spare S2 parts for a major?

StandardError

I'm planning on shooting my first major in a few months and was wondering what are some key items to have as spare parts. The round count by then will be around 6k on my shadow 2. Firing pin? Extractor? I'm not sure if there are specific items that should be just kept in my bag because they are likely to fail?

Springs
-mag springs
- trigger return spring
- firing pin spring
- extractor spring
- hammer spring
- recoil spring and parts

Extra fiber for your sights.

Lock-tite ... you never know when you’ll need that.

If you carry a full spring replacement kit, you’ll have a lot of peace of mind, even if you don’t need them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, tomfturner said:

Springs
-mag springs
- trigger return spring
- firing pin spring
- extractor spring
- hammer spring
- recoil spring and parts

Extra fiber for your sights.

Lock-tite ... you never know when you’ll need that.

If you carry a full spring replacement kit, you’ll have a lot of peace of mind, even if you don’t need them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is pretty much dead on what I would say but add the extra slide stop.  Before most majors I replace TRS, Hammer, and Recoil a two weeks before (and carry spares) to break them in a bit. 

Nearly 70k on my SP01 and no experience with S2 so YMMV.  My suggestions:  1) note round count on slide stop and replace with new about 200-500 rounds prior to major (track rounds at major and put used back in when you return home), 2) mag springs age and use more than just round count seems to be more important; you could do the same with mag springs as slide stop, 3)  I've never broken a firing pin spring, hammer spring or extractor spring in my CZ--your choice as to what to do with them -- with only 6k through pistol I doubt they need changing, and finally, 4) recoil spring and trigger return springs should be good for sometime--again your choice on swap out prior to match.

Anything you think needs to be changed I would change prior to match long enough prior to ensure the pistol is functioning well under match conditions.  Don't wait and hope no issues during match.  My experience is the most likely to fail unexpectedly is the trigger return spring and slide stop.  The remaining springs will weaken over time with use so they need to be replaced more on a usage time table.

Hope this helps.

Spare gun if you got it. That way you’re not messing with trying to change springs at a match. Does anyone really need another reason to buy another gun?  I have an accushadow as primary and a SP-01 as back up 

Spare gun and the following

-Recoil Spring
-Hammer Spring

-Firing pin and Firing pin Spring
-Trigger Return Spring

-Extractor and extractor sping
-Slide stop
-Fiber optic for sight

-Extra good condition magazines

After having my gun produce stoppages at two major matches I make it a policy now to inspect and replace all of the above parts a couple of local matches before the major, or at very least replace them then test fire before major. 

I make it a point to replace the Hammer spring and Firing pin spring now more often because I've found that the CGW HS-12000 and RP-FPS wear out faster and produce less than ideal results with certain primers (as to be expected with lightened springs)

Edited by threat
Forgot to put in fiber.

Spare gun is best. Other than that you've been given good info.

Just remember, unless you happen to know someone very nice it will be you doing the changing/fixing/replacing of anything in the safe area with the tools and skill you have on hand in the moment. With feeling time pressure to do it.

2 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Spare gun is best. Other than that you've been given good info.

Just remember, unless you happen to know someone very nice it will be you doing the changing/fixing/replacing of anything in the safe area with the tools and skill you have on hand in the moment. With feeling time pressure to do it.

That is a great point Rowdy.  Unless your a parts swap master I can see this being a big pain for a lot of people.  

One other thing I thought of that someone else mentioned but to harp on is bring the right size fiber for you sights and have spare.  I have friends running around all the time needing some and I always have spare.  Cheap and great to have and put a fresh rod in before a big match so it pops.

i have rod but no lighter or clippers. So they can borrow rod but it is on them to put it in. And I carry a very thin one, they can let it grow in the flame to make it fit. When I've lots fo rod one or two times I just shot without it.

I'm anti-cart/wagon and like to only carry around at a match what I can carry in my hands. So I don't carry much. But there is a complete spare gun in the car.

Edited by rowdyb

I'd rather replace any wear items before hand and get some light practice in before attempting to do a repair at a match.

Heck, I drop/lose screws/springs/pins at home in comfortable area all the time, I'd hate to try to do something outside while being rushed.