Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Matchmaster issues ... help please

Knguyen1904

So I just shot a match today with my STI matchmaster back up gun since my primary is getting some work done . For whatever reason I could not fire two rounds consecutively at all. First round would go bang next round would seem to chamber all the way I’d press the trigger and then no bang. If I reracked the slide manually the next round would fire. Upon inspection of the manually injected rounds there was no smear or evidence of a light strike. I’m assuming for whatever reason the gun wasn’t completely into battery since there were no smears or light strike marks. Anybody have an idea on what it could be. I’ve had this problem maybe once or twice during my practice session yesterday of 500+ rounds but today it was literally every round. Anyone have any ideas on what may be going on. 

10 hours ago, bigbob21 said:

Have you messed with the extractor lately?

Sounds like it might be too tight? Slowing the rounds coming up and failing to go into battery...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea I replaced it a few weeks ago. Tore the gun down completely and cleaned and inspected everything. Going to test fire today. 

How is your recoil spring? Are the barrel lugs fully locking up into the slide? 

Another thing to check is the guide rod and plug. A buddy of mines plug was slightly bent causing the slide not to fully reset. 

Another thing to look at is when it does fail to fire, before racking the slide again inspect the state that the slide and barrel is in. check to see if it's fully engaged (reset.) Once you inspect it try to fire it again by just cocking the hammer back. This will at least give you a little more indication of what may be going on. 

And of course it goes without saying and I'm sure you will, but be safe; there is still a live round in the chamber. 

14 hours ago, schaet said:

Another thing to look at is when it does fail to fire, before racking the slide again inspect the state that the slide and barrel is in. check to see if it's fully engaged (reset.) Once you inspect it try to fire it again by just cocking the hammer back. This will at least give you a little more indication of what may be going on. 

And of course it goes without saying and I'm sure you will, but be safe; there is still a live round in the chamber. 

If it were in a competition, as it does seem to be, it is hard to check the state with 100% consistency if you get a jam in a competition

Edited by Janskis

Yes, this is true; however it looks to be repeatable at will; "but today it was literally every round. Anyone have any ideas on what may be going on." 

So off to the range for some trouble shooting.