Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Single tip for running a good stage

HowardM

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/9/2018 at 9:05 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

And, for production and singlestack guys? Stop planning your reloads first! Plan them last.

Look at it this way; you’re trying to do two things at once. Figure out where to go and what to shoot... AND when to change mags.

Focus entirely on a plan to engage the stage with unlimited capacity. Then once that’s settled? Break that plan down into chunks whick suit your magazine capacity.

Much more straightforward. Plan. Reloads. Last.

I'm going to be giving this a try.  I have been running production for a few matches now and try to plan my reloads while walking through and it seems to add frustration for me because when I come up with a plan I find an issue on reloading in certain places and start all over with a new plan.  The way you suggest seems to make good sense!

15 minutes ago, Diesel24v said:

I'm going to be giving this a try.  I have been running production for a few matches now and try to plan my reloads while walking through and it seems to add frustration for me because when I come up with a plan I find an issue on reloading in certain places and start all over with a new plan.  The way you suggest seems to make good sense!

It’s Ben Stoeger’s advice. I am not taking credit.

It seemed backwards when I first heard it, but I gave it a try. Trust me, it works much much better.

His phrasing was “reloads take care of themselves.”

Don't include "what if's" into you plan.

Examples: If I pull a shot into the hard cover, I'll have extra rounds to make it up.

I'll shoot 3 at the swinger in case I miss one of the first two.

If you plan to miss, shoot a no shoot, etc. you will.  Plan your hits (target location, transitions, etc.).

Eliminate negatives from your stage plan.

I'd say the first step is to relax. Whatever stage planning you do will deteriorate and go out the window if you're too worked up.

Shooting production, I put a lot of mental effort into my reloads and how I'm going to optimize the use of each round.

It’s Ben Stoeger’s advice. I am not taking credit.

It seemed backwards when I first heard it, but I gave it a try. Trust me, it works much much better.

His phrasing was “reloads take care of themselves.”
Agreed, seems odd at first but does make sense. I just started this recently and last match there were a few times I reloaded after 4 rounds because it worked with my best stage plan. Plan to shoot each target from most advantageous area then worry about movement between, then reloads. Then put it all together, refining details every time. At least that's how I do it

In my opinion:

Shoot at the speed of EXECUTION.

Meaning go as fast as you need to hit what you need to hit.

There can be certain types of matches where is pays to miss fast enough to win, but not always.

On 25 July 2018 at 3:49 PM, Flyingpig said:

Don't shoot faster than you can see your sights?

I am THAT guy, after on and off shooting for about 23 years, I have decided to return to zero because most of everything I did and do just about turns to zero. Trying to shoot against the timer.....if only I understood these words years back.

very true! And thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I'd probably say a decent stage plan and sticking to it. 

I am pretty new but I studied the Area 8 matchbook when it came out. I didn't shoot til the last day, and so a lot of people had already put up youtube videos of top and not-so-top shooters. I was able to have almost every movement planned out prior to showing up. Made a huge difference.

I didn't do that great, still working on USPSA skills but I was able to help a squad mate in Production make 15th. It was nice to tell someone my plan and see their eyes open up like, "OOOH, that's good!"

What helps me is making a game plan and sticking with it no matter if its right or wrong. Not looking at everyone else is doing and trying to improvise midway through. That and trying to go 80-90 percent speed never 100 percent

• 2 weeks later...

First - plan.  Then - relax.

Its not like we're playing for a Buick.

I know I still get caught up in the relax part. But when I can totally let go and have fun with it (like the reason why I got into the sport in the first place) I usually do better.

On 9/5/2018 at 3:22 PM, Timmeh said:

In my opinion:

Shoot at the speed of EXECUTION.

Meaning go as fast as you need to hit what you need to hit.

There can be certain types of matches where is pays to miss fast enough to win, but not always.

How do you determine which stages those are?  On a stage recently i had 26 alpha on a 26 shot stage and got beat by a guy with some C's, a D, and a mike.  He ran it faster.  Where is the line ?  Is it based on points available or design of the stage or something else?